TTY: Kato: photomontage by Sam Esty Rayner

Kato is the sidekick of The Green Hornet, played by Bruce Lee in the Green Hornet television series. Maybe Morrissey is a fan of the show and Sam was feeling bored.

its a cryptic message The Smiths are reforming !

Nah! We've had the 'Unsmith' cowboy photo, then Moz's face glued onto the covers of 'This Charming Man' and 'The World Won't Listen'. The message is obvious. Morrissey is going to re-release the Smiths back catalogue, only with Marr, Rourke and Joyce's contributions taken out of the mix, and replaced by newly recorded instrumental backing tracks by Jesse and co. Also, Gustavo will sing a random verse in each song in Spanish.

These new 'Smiths: Redux' version will allow Morrissey to sell 'Smiths' records without Mike Joyce earning any royalties.

You may think I am joking, but artists re-recording/re-dubbing old classic albums in order to either cut musicians or old record labels out of royalties has been done quite a number of times.

Nah! We've had the 'Unsmith' cowboy photo, then Moz's face glued onto the covers of 'This Charming Man' and 'The World Won't Listen'. The message is obvious. Morrissey is going to re-release the Smiths back catalogue, only with Marr, Rourke and Joyce's contributions taken out of the mix, and replaced by newly recorded instrumental backing tracks by Jesse and co. Also, Gustavo will sing a random verse in each song in Spanish.

These new 'Smiths: Redux' version will allow Morrissey to sell 'Smiths' records without Mike Joyce earning any royalties.

You may think I am joking, but artists re-recording/re-dubbing old classic albums in order to either cut musicians or old record labels out of royalties has been done quite a number of times.

You're right. It's happened before and seems like something he would do, doesn't it. For some reason I doubt he would use his current band though. He could have it done by studio musicians probably for less money because they would do it faster. I actually hope this is true, not because I want the records redone but just to give all the old "When will The Smiths reform" fans something to hate. He ought to buy Alain's guitar and have Jesse re-do Alain's parts on the solo records, too.

It's the 30th anniversary of TQID this summer, so Moz will have probably had a shot-in-the-dark request for co-operation from Warners. Who knows?

lol i hope this doesn't happen :(

All joking aside, I think Marr would have to grant his permission as co-writer for the songs to be re-recorded. Somehow I don't see them releasing a single of re-recorded versions of "Golden Lights" and "Work Is A Four-Letter Word." Or at least I fervently hope not.

All joking aside, I think Marr would have to grant his permission as co-writer for the songs to be re-recorded. Somehow I don't see them releasing a single of re-recorded versions of "Golden Lights" and "Work Is A Four-Letter Word." Or at least I fervently hope not.

I don't think you need anyone's permission to record a cover version of a song. You can just do it, so long as royalties are paid. Morrissey has already done his own version of There Is A Light and released it as a single.

Not that I think re-recording Smiths albums is likely. For one thing, he would need a recording contract.

All joking aside, I think Marr would have to grant his permission as co-writer for the songs to be re-recorded.

No, he wouldn't need to give permission for cover versions, he'd just earn some royalties as co-song writer (whether he approved of it or not). If they actually went back to the original mastertapes, replaced all his guitar with Jesse and Boz, and released it as 'The Smiths'...I expect he could try and put a block on it as passing off someone else's work as his own, but again, it's been done before: http://www.feelnumb.com/2015/05/30/...ded-blizzard-of-oz-diary-of-a-madman-royalty/

I seriously doubt that a partial re-record of a Smiths record would happen (unless it was just to replace Joyce, and cut him out of royalties). However, Morrissey is at the stage where I can see him forced to an entirely re-record a new version of The Smiths 'Greatest Hits', as it's something the record labels think they could shift. Blondie has to submit to the indignity of packaging their latest studio album alongside a 'Greatest Hits' re-release as the only way of getting it out there, so again - this shit happens. :(

I don't think you need anyone's permission to record a cover version of a song. You can just do it, so long as royalties are paid. Morrissey has already done his own version of There Is A Light and released it as a single.

Not that I think re-recording Smiths albums is likely. For one thing, he would need a recording contract.

sick burn lol

Back
Top Bottom