What does Morrissey think of Shane MacGowan?

Heavy Words

I was at one of the recent Melbourne gigs and just before Irish Blood, English Heart I yelled out "Shane MacGowan!" a couple of times but with no response from Moz, which is fine but it got me wondering what Morrissey thinks of Shane? I don't remember any tribute/mention of Shane around the time of his passing. Let me know if anyone can remember Moz ever mentioning Shane MacGowan. Cheers.

The only thing I can remember at the moment - is the NME encouraging Mark E Smith to slag Morrissey off, Nick Cave sort of defending him & Shane's reaction not being recorded.

What do you think of the blanket critical approval of Morrissey?

MES: Morrissey's another Paddy! A South Manchester Paddy, Shane's got more to say than Morrissey.

NC: I think you guys are encouraging Mark to be like this. You journalists love it.

MES: Of course they do. That's the NME policy, they love a good argument. Don't you, lads?

I was at one of the recent Melbourne gigs and just before Irish Blood, English Heart I yelled out "Shane MacGowan!" a couple of times but with no response from Moz, which is fine but it got me wondering what Morrissey thinks of Shane? I don't remember any tribute/mention of Shane around the time of his passing. Let me know if anyone can remember Moz ever mentioning Shane MacGowan. Cheers.
As I posted in the Shane MacGowan thread I don't think they got on. I could be wrong but it's just a hunch. The fact that Moz has said nothing about Shane's passing would seem to confirm that. Moz not commenting on the death of an important cultural figure - like David Bowie, for example - tends to suggest that it was someone Moz had fallen out with. I can easily imagine Shane saying something - perhaps whilst under the influence - to upset Moz's sensibilities. And in many ways they were too similar to get on. Difficult personalities by all accounts and hard to work with. No town was big enough for Shane and Morrissey to be in the same room. All just speculation, of course.

But didn't Jesse post, probably on the day Shane died, that the Pogues actually supported Morrissey in NYC in the 90s, noting that Kirsty McColl joined him on stage for Fairytale...? Is that at anyone's fingertips or did I get that wrong? If so, there was mutual admiration, but their personas and approaches differed. Regarding Morrissey not commenting, perhaps he felt he'd be repeating himself to some extent after Sinéad, as the plaudits have been rolling in too.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard or read Morrissey ever mentioning his name or the Pogues in the past that I can remember. So I don’t think he was ever a fan. Which is probably the reason for no mention or tribute.

As I posted in the Shane MacGowan thread I don't think they got on. I could be wrong but it's just a hunch. The fact that Moz has said nothing about Shane's passing would seem to confirm that. Moz not commenting on the death of an important cultural figure - like David Bowie, for example - tends to suggest that it was someone Moz had fallen out with. I can easily imagine Shane saying something - perhaps whilst under the influence - to upset Moz's sensibilities. And in many ways they were too similar to get on. Difficult personalities by all accounts and hard to work with. No town was big enough for Shane and Morrissey to be in the same room. All just speculation, of course.

Or M just didn’t relate to the Pogues music. And so, was not a fan (?) don’t mind being corrected if wrong.

And I don’t believe for one second that not mentioning Bowie at the time of his death had anything to do with what was perceived by the public as a ‘falling out’ between them.

But didn't Jesse post, probably on the day Shane died, that the Pogues actually supported Morrissey in NYC in the 90s, noting that Kirsty McColl joined him on stage for Fairytale...? Is that at anyone's fingertips or did I get that wrong? If so, there was mutual admiration, but their personas and approaches differed. Regarding Morrissey not commenting, perhaps he felt he'd be repeating himself to some extent after Sinéad, as the plaudits have been rolling in too.
FWD.

Thanks. So I was partly right. The 1992 show was in London, not NYC. Kirsty, not The Pogues, was the opening act but Shane MacGowan did join her on stage. I think Morrissey would have been aware of that happening. Maybe he could see a fateful vulnerability he, like most people could do nothing to remedy, and that saddened Moz? I'm sure he cherished quite a few of The Pogues' songs and performances.

Thanks. So I was partly right. The 1992 show was in London, not NYC. Kirsty, not The Pogues, was the opening act but Shane MacGowan did join her on stage. I think Morrissey would have been aware of that happening. Maybe he could see a fateful vulnerability he, like most people could do nothing to remedy, and that saddened Moz?

I'm sure he cherished quite a few of The Pogues' songs and performances.

🧐

Receipts Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

;)

Back
Top Bottom