What solo album has the best vocals?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Which album has the best vocals?

• Total voters
Yes that was me! I noticed it in places (the dip on the word "while" in "I hadn't seen her smile in a while" in "Staircase at the University" jumps out. "Drag the River" is the most vocally Sinatra-esque thing he's done (think "submersible stone". God there really are some of his best ever vocals on the new record.

"Drag the River", "One of Our Own", or "Istanbul" are more like songs he'd sing in Vauxhall.

"Mountjoy" reminds me vocally of "Late Night, Maudlin Street" from Viva Hate.

"Julie In the Weeds" sounds a lot like a Southpaw-Boxers/Maladjusted era b-side (which is of course a good thing).

"Art Hounds" has his classic Smiths-esque falsetto.

"The Bullfighter Dies" sounds a bit like "First of the Gang to Die" (Cry-hy-hy-hy-hies/Away-a-hey-a-hey-a-hey).

"Neal Cassady Drops Dead" showcases the tough, muscular voice he used on lots of Your Arsenal and Southpaw Grammar.

In "Oboe Concerto" the "round round the rhythm goes round..." bit is sung like something from Viva Hate. And it's so appropriate because it's like he's bringing his solo career full circle.

There's more to mention I'm sure but that'll do for now. The new album is very vocally diverse and really showcases singing styles from throughout his career pretty well.

Yes-he can still hit that falsetto. I wish he did it more.

although I love Viva Hate's vocals, I also love what he did with Years of Refusal.

But to be fair, he sounds like Morrissey on all of them. He's hardly Bob Dylan.

By the way I haven't voted because it's almost impossible to decide.

Some of his best vocal moments however I would say are:

"I've Changed My Plea To Guilty"
"I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday"
"The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get"
"Sing Your Life" (the KROQ version)
"Come Back To Camden"
"Lucky Lisp" --which definitely relegates Morrissey's singing of the word "fool" in WPINOYB to second place behind the "fool" in this song
"Yes I Am Blind"
"Now My Heart Is Full"
"Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself"
"The National Front Disco"

Back
Top Bottom