Gig quote

SouthpawGlamour said:
I think you are missing the point, we paid to see a gig, not listen to Mozs views on animal testing and empty threats. With respect to Moz, do you think he could cope with a public debate with a scientist????? Do you actually think Moz is going to 'get' anyone?

No, of course he's not. And he doesn't intend to either. The way Morrissey talks at gigs is exactly the way people talk to their friends in the pub, they just say whatever they feel. For people to get on their high horse about it is ridiculous.

As far as that scientist challenging him to a public debate is concerned, that's all hot air and PR. If he really is interested in public debate on the subject he would have challenged whoever is the leading expert opposed to his views, not a pop singer who said something on the spur of the moment at a gig.

Jones said:
No, of course he's not. And he doesn't intend to either. The way Morrissey talks at gigs is exactly the way people talk to their friends in the pub, they just say whatever they feel. For people to get on their high horse about it is ridiculous.

As far as that scientist challenging him to a public debate is concerned, that's all hot air and PR. If he really is interested in public debate on the subject he would have challenged whoever is the leading expert opposed to his views, not a pop singer who said something on the spur of the moment at a gig.

You should read my original post, where I said many of the same things as you just did. I am not on a high horse, Moz said a silly thing thats all. I am sure the leading experts can debate all they want and yes, of course, the scientist would sus that Moz would be easy pickings.

SouthpawGlamour said:
I am sure the leading experts can debate all they want and yes, of course, the scientist would sus that Moz would be easy pickings.

Or Maybe not, nobody really knows how knowledgeable Morrissey is on the subject. even worse I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of his scathing wit, no matter what the subject! :(

I didn't happen to be there, but I believe he prefaced his words with:

'Of course we're half-smiling, but....'

as in 'Don't take me completely seriously' perhaps?

And how can you expect to go to a Morrissey gig and not be prepared to hear his opinions?! This is Morrissey we are talking about!
He has never been afraid to express an opinion, however unpopular or uncool, and thank God for that!

If you want a humble, cautious artist who sanctions everything he says, then maybe it is time to move on to someone less challenging?

Jo Jo70 said:
And how can you expect to go to a Morrissey gig and not be prepared to hear his opinions?! This is Morrissey we are talking about!
He has never been afraid to express an opinion, however unpopular or uncool, and thank God for that!

If you want a humble, cautious artist who sanctions everything he says, then maybe it is time to move on to someone less challenging?

Well said. One of the reasons I love him is because he's such a bigmouth. That was one of the best gigs I went to. He also said the countryside would be perfect without farmers. Anyone for round 2?

In my opinion (LOL) you never can be too opinionated.
But no doubt some will disagree with me.

Barbours?
Four wheel drives?
Bollards proclaiming personal driveway space?
England flags- anywhere, at any time? (yes, I know its the bloody world cup!!)

I could go on.....

horrid_jon said:
Threatening people publicly is a crime.

Saying "We'll get you" juuuuuuust might be construed as a threat.

We'll get you... what?
We'll get you to sing happy birthday to the queen.
We'll get you to scream our name in pleasure in a consensual sexual relationship?

I think not, my friend.
Assault [threatening words - R v. Ireland (1998)] says assault is an act causing the victim to apprehend an imminent application of force. I don't think Morrissey was in a position to apply force within a reasonable period of time; it therefore cannot constitute an assault.

As for "incitement to violence" - it certainly doesn't cover this [very] high threshhold test. He would have had to have said "Everyone in this room go out and fetch a shovel and use it to bash in the head of X Lab worker in Y Laboratory at 9pm tonight!" or something equally as specific.

If somebody very famous, at a public gathering of their fans, said that they "were going to get you", how would you feel about that?
I'd laugh at their terrible grammar, or wonder who "Were" are.

Morrissey's comments were irresponsible and (yes!) illegal.
Plain and simply: no. Freedom of speech is a fundamental value of our constitution - he was simply utilizing his rights. If you want to talk to me about responsibility, how about we chat about aiding and abetting a criminal act and offending public decency (I'm sure if people did animal testing in glass boxes there would be uproar at the horrible things that go on).

Jo Jo70 said:
I didn't happen to be there, but I believe he prefaced his words with:

'Of course we're half-smiling, but....'

as in 'Don't take me completely seriously' perhaps?

Well, I have been going for 20 years and dont recall such a statement before. Your sarcasm is quite childish and defensive by the way, stick to the topic.

Morrissey the 23rd said:
He said we as the collective and make no mistake. We will!

Wow, with you on board why don't they just cut out the middle man.

You do have a hotline to the local Policestation, or so I've heard.

You and Animal Lib, grow up hoop vest.

SouthpawGlamour said:
Well, I have been going for 20 years and dont recall such a statement before. Your sarcasm is quite childish and defensive by the way, stick to the topic.

Which statement are we talking about here?
I quoted what he allegedly said at the Oxford gig, before the infamous ' We'll get you.' How is that off topic?

Seeing Morrissey for the last 20 years clearly hasn't made you that much of an expert if you expect the man to keep his mouth shut on sensitive topics!

And exactly who is the childish one here, as it wasn't me who felt the need to resort to personal comments?
I'm not 'defensive'. I just don't happen to agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom