I'm writing a Smiths informative Speech and need YOUR help

joe take a bow

I need three topics with three supports each but really just need help on the three main points. My first I think is going to be Background on the band and the second is going to be the fans, what could the third be? Help! Thanks :)

I need three topics with three supports each but really just need help on the three main points. My first I think is going to be Background on the band and the second is going to be the fans, what could the third be? Help! Thanks :)

Influence? Solo stuff? I remember why I got a C in English now :rolleyes:

Easy option is vegetarianism/animal rights issues.

Good luck.

I agree with Mozzette... Influence would be a great choice.

You could also turn that around and talk a bit about those writers and musicians that influenced the Smiths and the historical significance of those artists...

Just an idea.

"Different references in the lyrics and artwork" could be a good third chapter. You can bring on the speech all these books, movies, actors, etc... lots to talk about and a good way of showing what the band and the man are all about.

Good luck and upload your speech when you finish it. I'm sure many here would like to read it. Me included.

Bona Drag (Whore In Retirement)

Perhaps you're going to cover it in 'background on the band', but what about the songs?

Or perhaps you could discuss the cultural context of The Smiths: unemployment, Thatcher, the very real sense that nuclear armageddon was not only looming but practically a given.

Or maybe you could put them into a musical context. For example, compare their music, appearance, interviews to everything else that was swirling round the charts and music press at the time.

Best of luck. I'd love to read the finished piece.

I agree too that you should write about the huge influence they had on other artists and people in general
good luck!
I'm also doing a solo talk on The Smiths for my English class tomorrow:D

"Different references in the lyrics and artwork" could be a good third chapter. You can bring on the speech all these books, movies, actors, etc... lots to talk about and a good way of showing what the band and the man are all about.
t)
and i f you dont know them all:D
then go here
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/influence.htm
but Im sure you know this site,eh?

Or perhaps you could discuss the cultural context of The Smiths: unemployment, Thatcher, the very real sense that nuclear armageddon was not only looming but practically a given.
very interesting topic too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom