Interesting Drug greatest hits

butley

It suddenly struck me...Interesting Drug is not on the Greatest Hits and it got to number 9 in the UK charts. Mmmm. How sad are we? And how sad have we been?

I, and many others have previously grumbled about the Greatest Hits contents - what should've been, what shouldn't have been etc...

I agree, based on chart positions "Interesting Drug" should've been present. The same could be said of "November Spawned A Monster", "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" or "Alma Matters" all of which faired well in the charts ("November", being an essential Moz inclusion)

I would've happily sacrificed "Redondo Beach" one of the singles form 'Ringleader' and the two singles that were intended for 'Refusal'. They obviously wanted to focus more on his 2004-2008 period.

C'est la vie... guess you'll just need to keep a hold of your "Suedehead" compilation

I don't think he could win with that Greatest hits though -

* If he put all the old 'classics' like ID, Alma, NSAM etc on there then everyone would've whined "Yet another compilation with the same old songs over and over again, what a rip off"

* If he does a compilation that focuses mainly on material that has not been on any compilations before everyone goes "I can't believe he left off (insert favourite Moz single), this is bullshit, I can't believe I'm having a gun held to my head and being forced to purchase such an item"

If you see the tracklisting in advance and it isn't pleasing to you, don't buy it.
It really is that simple.

The compilation was put out by Universal and they surely needed to strike a deal with EMI to be able to include "Suedehead", "...Sunday" and "Ignore". They probably wanted to limit the number of songs from the EMI years so the profits made off the compilaition would not all go to EMI.

Stephane

Personally, I would have been more happy if whoever decided on this compilation release, would have waited till YOR's singles would have been released first but as we all know and Moz has said repeatedly, why give the fans what they want? LOL I think its safe to assume our very own Moz chose what to include, that's a given, LOL.

It would have been more special, accepted by critics, fans if they had included the Maladjusted Singles as well since they all now belong to the Universal Music Group and it would have been cool to have these singles remastered, just my opinion.

As for the title, I hardly think its intented as the best songs of his solo career, high charted songs or not. I mean, Moz has so many great songs to choose from, an excellent amount of B-Sides that many times have been critiqued better than the songs chosen/released as singles.

Universal had to pay EMI UK/Warner USA to include the older singles and this is a common business practice when artists record for several music labels but this compilation can hardly be called "The Greatest Hits Collection", its imply isn't! Though the credits read C&P Morrissey so the names EMI/Warner names could be just a formality as clearly Moz owns these songs.

I just wonder how long before we get a compilation called, The Polydor, Island, attack, Mercury/Universal Years, it will happen, I'm sure of it, LOL

Back
Top Bottom