Is "World Peace is None of your Business" the worst Morrissey album ever

It’s definitely a grower (though I loved it on first spin)

I must say that I am truly embarrassed whenever I look at the title of this thread (my thread btw). As I have been listening more and more to the album, I must say that I truly like it. In fact I can't get the jingle "Art Hounds" out of my head.....I believe that this album requires more than a couple of sittings to really appreciate it. The lyrics are not bad at all and the music has become catchy to me. I will continue to listen in my car to really soak it in and report back later, But so far I am liking what I hear on the 3rd and 4th listen. Stay tuned..........

I am now loving the album. Kick the bride down the aisle is brilliant! When is the Moz coming back to the US of A? I must go see him.

yeah i love that song though we may be of a minority opinion here. that kick and crash in the music makes it all hit home. an angry wedding march then turns into a funeral march which is very very morrissey going back to the smiths mother i can feel it

yeah its not just theres alone to find the artistic value but there responsibility. i dont know that ive ever been exposed to good art without it being a commodity and have found it work to separate my feelings about the two in order to appreciate the artistic value alone. i dont know ive ever succeeded meaning that i dont know if ive ever encountered experienced or appreciated "art" alone.

This is indeed Morrissey's worst solo album....and the only truly awful thing he's ever recorded. The general consensus is that his worst albums heretofore have been Kill Uncle and Maladjusted. But Kill Uncle had a kind of light, deliberately campy feel that made it enjoyable and Maladjusted had some brilliant tracks, some good tracks, and the rest were just kind of pedestrian and boring. But THIS album is a whole different story. This album is actively, affirmatively terrible. It's pedantic, silly, preachy and just really, really bad. It's the worst parts of his book and his most embarrassing statements of the last decade set to music. Morrissey is my favorite artist ever, and I own and eagerly anticipate everything he puts out. But this album is so outrageously, egregiously, relentlessly awful that it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I pray he will redeem himself on his next effort. Even the "good" songs (Istanbul, Earth, Mountjoy) only rise to the level of mediocre. The only redeeming thing about this record is that it ensures that the next one will be better...because it CAN'T be worse!

And by the way...when the novelty has completely worn off...and when we can look at this album in hindsight, we will all agree that by Moz standards it is just extraordinarily awful.

yeah its not just theres alone to find the artistic value but there responsibility. i dont know that ive ever been exposed to good art without it being a commodity and have found it work to separate my feelings about the two in order to appreciate the artistic value alone. i dont know ive ever succeeded meaning that i dont know if ive ever encountered experienced or appreciated "art" alone.

that's my experience too. i try to practise this approach whenever possible, and somehow it's what love is all about too, if i might say so. specific expectations of what the other has to do or to provide to make us happier human beings, has left me not just once utterly disappointed.

agreed and i find that i have only myself to blame sometimes for those expectations but in the end i learned something about myself and it led to me actively trying to be more self aware about my internal thought process and to pin point why i like something and why it has such emotional power over me which has been rewarding. love is for sure work. its the willingness to sacrifice yourself and go to work so to speak that states the value of your partner. sorry im being long winded today

Good to see it has made Mojo's top 50 albums of the year - a very respectable 31. I seem to remember certain posters round here saying it would never feature in the end of year polls. How nice to find them proved wrong...

Good to see it has made Mojo's top 50 albums of the year - a very respectable 31. I seem to remember certain posters round here saying it would never feature in the end of year polls. How nice to find them proved wrong...

Sorry, but that seems to be damning with faint praise to me - the mind boggles as to what was amongst the other 30 albums that were deemed superior.

I think it's a fine album. In fact, although I would say it only sports a couple of absolutely great songs ('Istanbul' and 'Kiss Me a Lot' - maybe 'Smiler With Knife' too) I'd say it's probably his best album for me, in the sense that it's the only one he's released that I actually enjoy listening to from start to end. All of his other albums are marred (pardon the pun) by crap songs, and dragged down by too many mediocre ones, albeit redeemed by usually two or three classics.

In this case, I don't think there are any dire songs on the album at all. They're not all classics, but they are mostly really good. Even the ones that struck me as lightweight fluff/self-parody on first listen ('Earth is the Loneliest Planet of All' and 'The Bullfighter Dies') are growers, in fact 'Earth' is actually insanely catchy.

I must say that I am truly embarrassed whenever I look at the title of this thread (my thread btw). As I have been listening more and more to the album, I must say that I truly like it. In fact I can't get the jingle "Art Hounds" out of my head.....I believe that this album requires more than a couple of sittings to really appreciate it. The lyrics are not bad at all and the music has become catchy to me. I will continue to listen in my car to really soak it in and report back later, But so far I am liking what I hear on the 3rd and 4th listen. Stay tuned..........

Well you'd be the first one on here to admit they love the album after slagging it off to the point of making your very own thread. So gratz to that and happy listening :)

Sorry, but that seems to be damning with faint praise to me - the mind boggles as to what was amongst the other 30 albums that were deemed superior.

I think it's a fine album. In fact, although I would say it only sports a couple of absolutely great songs ('Istanbul' and 'Kiss Me a Lot' - maybe 'Smiler With Knife' too) I'd say it's probably his best album for me, in the sense that it's the only one he's released that I actually enjoy listening to from start to end. All of his other albums are marred (pardon the pun) by crap songs, and dragged down by too many mediocre ones, albeit redeemed by usually two or three classics.

In this case, I don't think there are any dire songs on the album at all. They're not all classics, but they are mostly really good. Even the ones that struck me as lightweight fluff/self-parody on first listen ('Earth is the Loneliest Planet of All' and 'The Bullfighter Dies') are growers, in fact 'Earth' is actually insanely catchy.

I can't say there're any weak songs on Your Arsenal. I would add Vauxhall and I to the zero weak songs list although I could fathom one finding "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning" or one of the other 7-10 tracks on the average side, although I don't personally feel that way. Viva Hate doesn't really have a "weak" track although if you stopped listening after track 11 fair enough.

I do think in recent years Morrissey's albums have been perhaps a track or two too long and this is something that plagues World Peace Is None of Your Business, as well as excessive track length in some cases. You Are the Quarry would be great if you axed "All the Lazy Dykes" and "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?"

The bottom line is: quality over quantity.

The album isn't perfect and I can't say it's nearly his best; it falls somewhere in the middle for me. I agree that with this record he managed to create a number of songs that rank right up there with his strongest work as you mentioned which definitely is a positive and bodes well for the future -- that is if Morrissey does record again. Although if he does record again I have to add that I hope it's a bit more of a rock record. You mention "Earth Is the Loneliest Planet" and yes I can see how some people would find it very catchy but for me it's one of the most pithy things he's ever recorded. I don't want the ham fisted noise of Years of Refusal and maybe it's too much to ask for Morrissey to head back in the rockabilly influenced direction but I'd like to hear something more akin to his 1992-95 sound. More rock driven but a good mix of the rock anthems of Your Arsenal with the softer and intricate Vauxhall and I with a dash of bold experimentation a la Southpaw Grammar.

I can't get enough of the album now. I've been listening non-stop! I am Hooked, with a capital H. Shows you how foolish I was at the beginning.

a good idea might be to think about why you had such a strange reaction in the first place.

I'm a fan since the Smiths days but something changed. I'm pretty much over Morrissey now but I'm hoping to enjoy his music again some time. I was excited to hear all of the positive reviews of the newest record. I downloaded it illegally but I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet. The truth is I was excited and I listened to the first four songs, kind of excited by the electronic and "Spanishy" sound... The phone rang and I turned the music off to answer and never played it again. I guess if I listened to ROTT repeatedly but can't get through this one time, it is the worst. Morrissey hasn't seen a dime from me in years and he probably never will again, because I'm not going for the gamble of buying his ticket and music is free now. Why give that rich bastard my money? If he had any respect at all for his fans it would be different but I don't feel any guilt.

Back
Top Bottom