'Jack the Ripper' Song Meanings... what do you think?

Sonny Jim

I thought that the songs POV was looking at someone and using Jack the Ripper as a metaphor for a person they want, they look at this person that looks tried and has become mean, twisted and evil. I didn't listen thinking the song was literally about the serial killer, more that he was used like a likeness. I think this song is about desire, prehaps ashamed or a desire not fully understood between two people. I guess what makes morrissey's lyrics good is that people can read them in many ways . I think this is quite a chilling/moving song depending on what perspective you look at it from. It seems clear that the song is from a view of an outsider and that the song may be dealing with feelings that are two sides of the same coin? I thought that the song was saying they would take the jacktheripper-like person in their arms at first.

46SJ.gif

What do you think? I may expand on my points later

JACK THE RIPPER - BEETHOVEN WAS DEAF. LIVE

Last edited:
I thought the song is from the POV of a person who wants a JacktheRipper-like person to crash into their arms...
You are free to interpret the song how you like, but Morrissey frequently introduces this song in concert as 'The Thoughts of Jack the Ripper', so I've always interpreted the lyrics as the POV of the narrator being the menacing figure out to get the victim and 'crash them into his arms', whether they like it or not.

You are free to interpret the song how you like, but Morrissey frequently introduces this song in concert as 'The Thoughts of Jack the Ripper', so I've always interpreted the lyrics as the POV of the narrator being the menacing figure out to get the victim and 'crash them into his arms', whether they like it or not.
Actually I can see that now. I think he took inspiration from the book. On the first few listens, out of context, heard the song differently.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 07.57.40.png

id say you are both fecking right. An M song is rarely about one thing. It was probably also about a relationship he had at the time as well.

It's a tale of a gaseous fellow, who creeps the streets and alleys looking to deploy a silent but deadly emission.

One of my favourite Moz songs ever. Seems pretty straightforward - the usual Moz fare of wanting someone you can't have, to a point where 'the frustration renders (him) hateful' and he starts fantasising about being Jack the Ripper and having them anyway.

It seems to be a song about a person who isn't expecting anyone to love them, but Morrissey does. That simple. The person was probably expecting hatred from people like Jack the Ripper, but Morrissey wants to surprise the person by enveloping her/him in his arms tenderly.

Back
Top Bottom