Johnny Marr has joined The Cribs...

Then probably, hopefully, Moz would politely refuse and put the phone down.

I disagree. Morrissey produced his best work with Johnny Marr and a reunion is what is needed to try and recapture some of the lost quality in his work.
Clearly Marr has a long way to go to make up for things that have happened in the past though. I'd suggest that he goes to see Moz in person rather than contacting him through a third party and says something like:

"Hi. Look I want to apologise unreservedly for everything, especially for not standing up for you more in the court-case with Joyce. And I made a big mistake in leaving the Smiths and I hope you can forgive this and that we can move on. I didn't appreciate what we had as a partnership until it had gone. Lets share a bottle of red and write some new songs together."

I disagree. Morrissey produced his best work with Johnny Marr and a reunion is what is needed to try and recapture some of the lost quality in his work.
Clearly Marr has a long way to go to make up for things that have happened in the past though. I'd suggest that he goes to see Moz in person rather than contacting him through a third party and says something like:

"Hi. Look I want to apologise unreservedly for everything, especially for not standing up for you more in the court-case with Joyce. And I made a big mistake in leaving the Smiths and I hope you can forgive this and that we can move on. I didn't appreciate what we had as a partnership until it had gone. Lets share a bottle of red and write some new songs together."

Morrissey did produce some of his best work with Johnny Marr, agreed. But that was over 20 years ago. I haven't seen any recent proof that Marr still has the sort of innovative talent that made him famous, and in fact post-Smiths there are only a handful of Marr-associated tracks I would listen to repeatedly. Morrissey simply doesn't need a reunion - he has been coping just fine on his own for the past two decades and I don't think he would appreciate Marr dropping in and suddenly wanting to be part of the show again now that his side projects have ended. I think an apology like that would be too little, too late for Morrissey - he has worked too hard for what he has got, to degrade it by reforming with his former bandmate.

I'd suggest that he goes to see Moz in person...and says something like:

Right, and Bob's your uncle!

Last edited:
This was posted on Johnny's website.

"Johnny has also refuted some reports on the net that he has quit Modest Mouse. "That's just silly journalism as usual" he says; "no one asks Alex Turner if his work with The Last Shadow Puppets means that he's quit Arctic Monkey's, but I seem to get it all the time. I've just completed playing and writing on a new Modest Mouse eight song record which is out soon"."

This was posted on Johnny's website.

"Johnny has also refuted some reports on the net that he has quit Modest Mouse. "That's just silly journalism as usual" he says; "no one asks Alex Turner if his work with The Last Shadow Puppets means that he's quit Arctic Monkey's, but I seem to get it all the time. I've just completed playing and writing on a new Modest Mouse eight song record which is out soon"."

Considering his track record, is he surprised?

Morrissey did produce some of his best work with Johnny Marr, agreed. But that was over 20 years ago. I haven't seen any recent proof that Marr still has the sort of innovative talent that made him famous, and in fact post-Smiths there are only a handful of Marr-associated tracks I would listen to repeatedly. Morrissey simply doesn't need a reunion - he has been coping just fine on his own for the past two decades and I don't think he would appreciate Marr dropping in and suddenly wanting to be part of the show again now that his side projects have ended. I think an apology like that would be too little, too late for Morrissey - he has worked too hard for what he has got, to degrade it by reforming with his former bandmate.

I'm with Amy on this one.
A lot of people make the mistake of assuming that, if Moz got back together with Marr, Marr would be composing stuff as wonderful as Back to the Old House, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, and Last Night I Dreamt.
Sadly, Marr simply no longer seems to have that kind of songwriting pedigree.
Judging by the Healers album, he'd be handing Moz pieces of music that sound like Charlatans b-sides from 1993...

Not all the reunion projects have been successful.

Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler's The Tears was really disappointing. :(
:D;) but it was nice to see them together anyway.

I haven't seen any recent proof that Marr still has the sort of innovative talent that made him famous
yes, i don't know... do people expect him to be always as inspired as he was 20+ years ago? i'm not sure a new morrissey/marr record would any better than moz solo, it surely wouldn't be as good as the smiths.

I really like the Cribs so I'm sort of excited to see what comes out of this collaboration.

johnnycrib.jpg

(Those unmistakable delicate shades of grey...Yes! It's the work of Jacques Watchers! The famous and unrivalled photographer of baby-stars. So good, so original, so L.A.! His style can't be copied.)

View attachment 5948

(Those unmistakable delicate shades of grey...Yes! It's the work of Jacques Watchers! The famous and unrivalled photographer of baby-stars. So good, so original, so L.A.! His style can't be copied.)

hahahaha :p

I thought this said Johnny Marr has got the crabs. :o

Seriously Dave, you need to trade in your tiara for a pair of reading glasses.

Back
Top Bottom