Johnny Marr on Guitarist magazine Sep 09 issue

Viva Peter! :thumb: Many thanks, sir!

P.S. Has anyone here played a Jaguar? I'm wondering what's so structurally different about them that one is challenged to play beyond the pentatonic scale, as Johnny sayeth. The 12-string Rickenbacker I can understand you'd play differently.

Last edited:
Viva Peter! :thumb: Many thanks, sir!

P.S. Has anyone here played a Jaguar? I'm wondering what's so structurally different about them that one is challenged to play beyond the pentatonic scale, as Johnny sayeth. The 12-string Rickenbacker I can understand you'd play differently.

A jaguar is short-scaled, the 24" same scale as a fender mustang. This makes it easier to play complex chords on the lower positions because you don't have to stretch as far. The downside is there is less room up top for soloing, less space between the higher frets, so if you have large hands it can be uncomfortable. But Johnny has really small fingers. It was a commercial failure compared to strats and teles, and has traditionally been used by surf musicians and alternative bands in the 80s/90s.

Also, he's not referring specifically to a Rickenbacker 12 string, just the the nature of a Ric 6 string is suited to a different playing style than blues. The body is all maple, and the fretboard is highly laquered. It's a very high, chimey end of the spectrum, well suited to arpeggios and other Johnny trademark riffs.

However, he is also using a Jazzmaster, which has a similar body to the Jaguar but the full stratocaster 25" scale.
________
extreme vaporizer

Last edited:
Tags
unclescanner
Back
Top Bottom