Louder Than War: "How soon is now? Billy Duffy finally joins Johnny Marr on stage" (August 17, 2023)

How soon is now? Billy Duffy finally joins Johnny Marr on stage

full

Footage of their non-Smiths cover version (I Feel You):

Related post below formerly in 'strange' thread:

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay but Morrissey was never the singer correct?
Correct. Billy Duffy recruited Morrissey and the rhythm section of The Nosebleeds (a band that had broken up) and when they played at Manchester University (circa 1977, I think), along with a number of other bands, a review in the music press mistakenly identified Duffy's band as The Nosebleeds (pages 140-1, Autobiography).

I'm not sure what they mean by using the word 'finally'in the headline, seeing as Johnny and Billy have played together on stage before several times. I guess they couldn't be bothered to do any research. doh:

Yeah I was wondering what they meant by "finally" too. If we're going to throw around the word "finally" how about we get Morrissey and Billy Duffy on stage together finally?

maybe he can’t separate the artist from the father?

Good point. Honestly, Eddie Money in his final years played with a huge backing band - which included 2 or 3 of his children. Not that Johnny has health woes, but his son would gain some rich work experience/connections playing in his dad's band. Nile might've been asked (or not), and probably wants to 'do it his way' anyway, but the spotlight isn't at full-brightness in 2023 as it was very easily blinding in 1982. He'd certainly have better chops from coming out of the 'Johnny Marr Band' than anything he's doing on his own - Nile's music that I've heard anyway.

Good point. Honestly, Eddie Money in his final years played with a huge backing band - which included 2 or 3 of his children. Not that Johnny has health woes, but his son would gain some rich work experience/connections playing in his dad's band. Nile might've been asked (or not), and probably wants to 'do it his way' anyway, but the spotlight isn't at full-brightness in 2023 as it was very easily blinding in 1982. He'd certainly have better chops from coming out of the 'Johnny Marr Band' than anything he's doing on his own - Nile's music that I've heard anyway.

Nile Marr plays in Hans Zimmer's touring show.

This is great! Thanks to everyone who posted the media as well!

Big fan of both of these guys, who shared an apartment as teens and ended up growing into great guitarists with their own unique voices/way of playing. Duffy has such a smooth style, much more than what you see on these clips. If you don't know, listen to The Cult's 'Phoenix' and 'Hinterland', as well as Death Cult's 'Ghost Dance' for excellent examples of Billy's playing and writing.
I was there too and recorded a few old numbers…

Saw him at Middlesbrough Empire on Friday and he f***ing rocked the joint. I was also pleasantly surprised by the support act - Cortney Dixon - who I had never heard of but who also rocked out hard. Certainly will be a repeat JFM attender now. Got some fantastic shots of him standing posing on top of one of the stage monitors. Had a great night.

He got one hell of a reception especially as the night went on and from the VIP box the view was amazing. They were running slightly late and the soundcheck was still happening when doors were supposed to open at 7pm. Intimate venue that seemed packed to the rafters. Was glad to be up out of the way. I only endure crushing and barrier torture for M, lol.

It sounds silly, but it's actually quite nice when your mum has the same music taste as you and pesters you to go. She really wanted to see Marr too. Making precious memories. Both rocking denim jackets. I never understand the folk who think you should stop wearing denim jackets/biker jackets, doc martens, converse, etc, at a certain age; individuality is ageless. Ahh, these are the days.

He said we should all come back to see him when he returns to the boro as long as we don't bring any weirdos with us and, predictably, some guy behind me shouted "you mean like Morrissey?"

Last edited:
Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom