Maladjusted - "The Maladjusted Jester"

The Seeker of Good Songs

Recently I watched the old film "The Court Jester", starring Danny Kaye, and during the opening credits (the old movies had the credits at the beginning instead of the end) saw the song title "The Maladjusted Jester".

Maladjusted is not a word one finds or reads very often, and with Morrissey being a fan of older television and films (though of Danny Kaye films I don't know), my thought went to the album when I saw that title in the film.

Could "The Maladjusted Jester" have been an impetus to the "Maladjusted" title? I doubt it but I thought I'd throw my "find" out there.

Interesting, It is a well know film with a very memorable scene "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle". By the way, Laurence Olivier was in love with Danny Kaye.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LS75NtlH3gI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LS75NtlH3gI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

the word maladjusted isn't that uncommon.

There is a song by Stephen Sondheim,who Morrissey has name-checked, called You Could Drive A Person Crazy. There is a line near the end that says "...deeply maladjusted, never to be trusted, crazy person himself"
I thank-you

Interesting, It is a well know film with a very memorable scene "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle". By the way, Laurence Olivier was in love with Danny Kaye.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LS75NtlH3gI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LS75NtlH3gI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Wow, I have something in common with Laurence Olivier.

I was desperately in love with Danny Kaye when I was a child (specifically the Danny Kaye of the 1940s, before he started acting like Bing Crosby).

He was terribly handsome, a great singer, hysterically funny, and not afraid to make a complete fool of himself.

Most of all he seemed very, very kind.

The word "Maladjusted" is referenced in Revolutionary Road which is where I figured Morrissey nicked it from.

I would vote for the Sondheim. Not only is the match more complete, but Revolutionary Road was a fairly obscure novel, a forgotten success, until it was resurrected for the film. Also, you would need to check the original text to see if the word appears in the book. Screenwriters do take liberties.

True but it was written by Richard Yates who we know Morrissey is a fan of. The term maldjusted was referenced in the book and not the movie. I can't remember what page or how it was used; although I think its' how April described her relationship with Frank Wheeler.

The Stephen Sondheim song makes the most sense though.

I would vote for the Sondheim. Not only is the match more complete, but Revolutionary Road was a fairly obscure novel, a forgotten success, until it was resurrected for the film. Also, you would need to check the original text to see if the word appears in the book. Screenwriters do take liberties.

Did I really just sit through this :squiffy:

I guess that must be where the Malajusted reference comes from.

There is a song by Stephen Sondheim,who Morrissey has name-checked, called You Could Drive A Person Crazy. There is a line near the end that says "...deeply maladjusted, never to be trusted, crazy person himself"
I thank-you

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny that: I'd just started watching Shaun of the dead:lbf:

Dear me. Indeed it must be that. What a song, eh.

Edit, ok enough fun...Back to the real zombies. ":crazy:"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom