mark radcliffe whats wrong?

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
the radio 2 dj is now almost unlistenable to.. has he got something wrong with him (maybe age related) every single sentence starts with a annoying berwerrbeerrwerrberrberr gibberish that is such a turn off it really gets on your nerves. if the guy has an illness i feel sorry for him, im sure he was never like this as mark and lard, shame cos hes still quite funny in parts if he could speak properly.

the radio 2 dj is now almost unlistenable to.. has he got something wrong with him (maybe age related) every single sentence starts with a annoying berwerrbeerrwerrberrberr gibberish that is such a turn off it really gets on your nerves. if the guy has an illness i feel sorry for him, im sure he was never like this as mark and lard, shame cos hes still quite funny in parts if he could speak properly.

I've been noticing that for yrs.

I've been noticing that for yrs.

I like him, but i'm sick of macoine. he's such a two-face get. when he's on r2 in the day he puts on his 'middle class' voice, it's sickening and then when he wants to be 'northern' and working class and act like he's got 'attitude' he talks in a lot harsher tone.

But...i'd recomened anyone go on to the bbc playagain feature and listen for about 10 mins from 20.20 every night on BBC2 or listen live w/e. It's a feature called This just in, and is a humourous look at the days music stories!

I like Mark Radcliffe. I like him a lot. He was very kind to a friend of mine's band when they were stating out, and played a few of their songs on his show. He did, of course, introduce Morrissey recently, and very wittily, and nearly got into an altercation with Arturo.

His classic cuts are still one of the funniest (and most puerile) things I've ever heard - listen here. I recommend Blue Suede Shoes and Mull Of Kintyre.

Peter

I like Mark Radcliffe. I like him a lot. He was very kind to a friend of mine's band when they were stating out, and played a few of their songs on his show. He did, of course, introduce Morrissey recently, and very wittily, and nearly got into an altercation with Arturo.

His classic cuts are still one of the funniest (and most puerile) things I've ever heard - listen here. I recommend Blue Suede Shoes and Mull Of Kintyre.

Peter
I've just googled Arturo and couldn't find what who you mean.
What's the skinny?

When Mark Radcliffe and the boy Lard had their graveyard slot on Radio 1 back in the early nineties it was one of the best radio shows ever. Loads of decent guests and a lot of bands playing live who went on to bigger and better things. Was a bit sad that they sold out out to do the morning show, but those late night shows were really decent. Happy days...

Have you read the booklet of YOR?

You find Moz Posse, Arturo is one of the bodygurads of Morrissey.

Have you read the booklet of YOR?

You find Moz Posse, Arturo is one of the bodygurads of Morrissey.

I remember seeing that now in the booklet...just didn't take it allin.
Thanks though

Now the real juicy bit...what did they nearly altercate about?

When Mark Radcliffe and the boy Lard had their graveyard slot on Radio 1 back in the early nineties it was one of the best radio shows ever. Loads of decent guests and a lot of bands playing live who went on to bigger and better things. Was a bit sad that they sold out out to do the morning show, but those late night shows were really decent. Happy days...

Ah yes! Good times! Also loved the breakfast show. They really were happy days.
I saw Lard get turned away at a Moz Manc gig...dunno if he did the 'do you know who I am' routine.

DId anyone hear the 'worst lyric ever' vote they did on r1 about 5 yrs. ago?
Can't remember the name of the song or singer but she rhymed ghost and toast and said something about a lucky rabbits 'tail'. Mark was brilliant...'tail? it's a foot!!!'.
Actually, it's just come to me....Life by Desiree

On an "innocuous tone", this playful song mixes "stories about superstitions, phobias and travels around the world". The melody is "upbeat and jubilant"[1]. However, the banal lyrics and simplistic rhymes have been widely derided, with the song winning the "Worst Lyric in Pop" in a BBC poll [2] particularly for the verse:
I don't want to see a ghost
It's the sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
Watch the evening news

Here it is in full
Ooh, Yeah
Oh yeah
Oh Life
Oh Life
I'm afraid of the dark
Especially when I'm in the park
When there's no one else around
Oh I get the shivers
I don't wanna see a ghost
It's the sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
Watch the evening news
Life, oh life
Oh life, oh life
Life, oh life
Oh life, oh life
I'm a superstitious girl
I'm the worst in the world
Never walk under ladders
I keep a rabbits' tail
I'll take you up on a dare
Anytime, anywhere
Name the place, I'll be there
Bungee jumping, I don't care
Life, oh life
Oh life, oh life
Life, oh life
Oh life, oh life
Life
So after all's said and done
I know I'm not the only one
Life indeed can be fun
If you really want to
Sometimes living out your dreams
Ain't as easy as it seems
You wanna fly around the world
In a beautiful balloon
Life, oh life
Oh life, oh life
Life, oh life
Oh life, oh life
Life, oh life
Oh life, oh life
Life, oh life
Oh life, oh life
Oh life, oh life..

Last edited:
im not questioning radcliffes comical ability at all or the great work hes done in the past but maybe its time to start writing for others if he cant er er ere wer ber er ber er ber wer talk properly anymore, its just makes me reach for the off button now, its such a shame.

I remember how cool he was years ago. He plays utter crap nowadays.

I'm listening to the playback of last night and he's just said he's going to stop talking altogether if he say's 'there you go' again!!

me and my daughter love the shirehorses cd, shes 9 and knows all the words but misses out the sweary ones!!

Can't remember the name of the song or singer but she rhymed ghost and toast and said something about a lucky rabbits 'tail'. Mark was brilliant...'tail? it's a foot!!!'.

Haha! yeah I remember that.

He also ridiculed her for the way she sang balloon. It didn't scan with the rhythm so she had to garble it

People normally don't do it consciously, it happens automatically based on situation and whom they speak to. If you ask him he will most likely not be able to tell you he did speak differently. You could hear something similar happen with one of the presenters on the One Show with Morrissey. Speaks for these people's language sophistication above anything else if they can switch so easily.

You must be very young to have such non-cynical views!

Back
Top Bottom