Morrissey and the Inland Revenue Cellar

In the book he refers twice to working in a cellar at the Inland Revenue. I remember when he played at Lancashire Cricket Club in 2004 he made a comment about working in a building nearby and saying that he hated it. It's on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42WGWilH9TE 10:36 in.

He mentions the gig in the book and says that the stage overlooked the cellar where he worked for the Inland revenue. In the video he says 'One of those buildings over there' and points to his left. He could only mean the Lancastrian office suite, which is where I currently work, and which was once occupied by the Inland Revenue. There are four buildings together and they are attached to the cricket ground.

The only thing is that the buildings have no cellars. Security and the maintenance guy confirmed it. So why does he twice say that he worked in a cellar? The only other office building visible from there is Trafford House which does have a cellar but has never been occupied by the Inland Revenue. And the fact he said 'one of those buildings' and points to the left suggests he was referring to the building where I work.

Very sad and anal of me I know but I think it's cool as f*** if he used to work in our building (which is why the cellar thing is bugging me).

Any explanations out there?

I think he has taken a great deal of poetic license in the book. Consider it 30% truth, 20% fiction and 50% papier-mâché.

The Brits don't see it from our perspectives. They want him to remain the quintessential Englishman. But he has adopted some Americanisms, understandably. One being the way he spells. It is normal and healthy to adapt to one's surroundings. I grew up in Ohio where I said pop instead of soda. Then I moved to Florida and adopted the words soda, folks, and ya'll. Now living out west, I say howdy. It is called blending in. Good for Moz! :)
Morrissey see himself as transatlantic

Back
Top Bottom