Morrissey chart positions

A

Anonymous

Having read the recent publication, it came across to me that Morrissey is perhaps a little obsessed with chart position and more importantly making No.1. Throughout the book, Morrissey makes much reference to others (record companies, individuals) having let him down re a higher chart position. My feeling is that perhaps Morrissey's 'actual' popularity is reflected by all historic chart positions, which conflicts somewhat with his 'desired' popularity.

For me it does not reflect the quality of his music (I could not and never would fault it), but rather the demographic of his fan-base...it simply is not as large as perhaps he thinks it is.

Just a thought.

Brilliant man, brilliant music, so please not condescending replies as per the usual on this forum.

I thought it was interesting that he was shocked that Nancy Sinatra's cover of "Let Me Kiss You" didn't chart. In, what? 2005, was it? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? He actually thought that song would register on the charts. How does he not understand how the music business works? There is an inverse relationship between quality and chart success. If he wanted to sell a lot of that record, he should have brought it out on Starbucks' house label. Then he'd be reaching the right demographic.

Having read the recent publication, it came across to me that Morrissey is perhaps a little obsessed with chart position and more importantly making No.1. Throughout the book, Morrissey makes much reference to others (record companies, individuals) having let him down re a higher chart position. My feeling is that perhaps Morrissey's 'actual' popularity is reflected by all historic chart positions, which conflicts somewhat with his 'desired' popularity.

For me it does not reflect the quality of his music (I could not and never would fault it), but rather the demographic of his fan-base...it simply is not as large as perhaps he thinks it is.

Just a thought.

Brilliant man, brilliant music, so please not condescending replies as per the usual on this forum.

In my brain, (regarding the dvd) No. 2 is an excellent position. Our pencils in America are Ticonderoga #2 pencils. Pretty much all math equations are done in pencil, they are a staple of learning. Anybody can be a no one, but a pencil? It takes a special person to be a pencil.

Anyone else remember that embarrassing leaked email he sent to Sanctuary, raging that the 'gift' of The Youngest Was the Most Loved (a mediocre offering, at best), didn't get to #1 in the singles chart?
Morrissey seems convinced that the chart position of his singles is entirely down to his record company, and how many flyposters they put up - rather than the quality of the song.
He is charmingly deluded.

Anyone else remember that embarrassing leaked email he sent to Sanctuary, raging that the 'gift' of The Youngest Was the Most Loved (a mediocre offering, at best), didn't get to #1 in the singles chart?
Morrissey seems convinced that the chart position of his singles is entirely down to his record company, and how many flyposters they put up - rather than the quality of the song.
He is charmingly deluded.

Yes, it's true. I have not listened to ROTT in probably three years. "The Father Who Must Be Killed " is much worse but for a single "the Youngest Was The Most Loved" is .... Does he know what a single is? People need to see themselves in it and sing along for it to be a hit. Let Me Kiss You could have been, but then he puts in the bits about "someone you physically despise." No one is going to make that their song. It's a good song but it's not a single. He messes everything up because he is more interested in being a public figure than a pop star. That one little section ruins that song for dedications on the radio loveline. ;)

Back
Top Bottom