Morrissey on Desert Island Discs - 29 Nov 2009

This from Stephen Fry's twitter:
@stephenfry hope we’re all sitting at the feet of the divinity that is Morrissey on Desert Island Discs...
@stephenfry Oh, when Morrissey is teasy and funny and silly and sweet I just want to DIE of pleasure... :)

I was......he's just adorable. Despite what he did to italian fans in july, I still love him!

Marvellous stuff. Very amusing. My personal favourite being:

Morrissey: And I think they’re very taken by anything that has a sweep of passion and urgency and rodomontade, whatever that word is? Do you know what that word is?”

Kirsty: “No, I don’t.”

Morrissey: “Rodomontade. No, nobody knows. Well, that’s what I’ve got, anyway.”

Was hoping he'd choose Black Box Ride On Time though

I was really chuffed with the interview. The comments about the sadness of the world really touched me and though he has never shyed away from talking about suicide it was really good to hear him talk about it again. I know there were problems after Asleep but at the end of the day it is a persons choice and we should be more open in this country about it and about Euthanasia.

Good (short) review from the Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2009/nov/30/morrissey-desert-island-discs-kirsty

(Dunno if this has already been posted but I'm sure Kewpie will take time out of her busy schedule to let us all know if it has.)

People really should be banned from commenting at the bottom of these things. Anonymity really brings out the worst, ill-informed, most cruel side of people. That rule doesn't stretch to these forums, of course...

Mixed feelings; a good interview and lovely to hear his voice. The music was awful, except the last song.
I thought there was something profoundly sad about the interview. 'Nothing comforts me'- well clearly music does.
And when he said, 'being in a happy relationship with your picture on top of the television set is embarrassing' I felt very sorry for him. I hope he's lying.
I agree with what he said about going to sleep though, even though he's said it before. I haven't heard him mention his dad much either so that was interesting.
Everyone says he seems at peace now he's older, but I don't agree with that. He seems more tragic to me.
I agree we should choose our own time of death: I'd be surprised if he does it though.

Maybe a lot of "us" are a lot like "him"......he says music of today is bland/boring, perhaps we feel the same and that's why we prefer his older catalog.

I refuse to believe this is true ... it's not that music today is bland and boring, it's that people refuse to move on .. it's why some people refuse to listen to radio stations that play anything after the 70s or 80s. Sure whats in the top of the charts can be, and usually is quite bland and boring .. but there is so, so much out there now if you open your eyes and go exploring. Much more so than there was back in the day.
I can't fathom how some people can be so close minded about music and how they can deny themselves the chance to be exposed to something they might really love ... it's just easier to say "music these days isn't like it used to be". Typical baby boomer attitude to everything.

And when he said, 'being in a happy relationship with your picture on top of the television set is embarrassing' I felt very sorry for him. I hope he's lying.

Why should people feel sympathy for him after he said that? I know exactly what he means, being single yet content and not looking for that happy couple scenario is something I am at home with. What's wrong with that?

This was great to listen to but is this show made to sound like it's playing in the 1950s or what? You can take 5 things to your island? come off it. It's so bloody quaint and twee I thought it was an old Python sketch? :D

This was great to listen to but is this show made to sound like it's playing in the 1950s or what? You can take 5 things to your island? come off it. It's so bloody quaint and twee I thought it was an old Python sketch? :D

It inspires movies my friend. Great cinema. :rolleyes:

Welcome to BBC Radio 4 ;)

I thought he moved to Los Angeles in 1996. In the interview he said 1998. :confused:

Why should people feel sympathy for him after he said that? I know exactly what he means, being single yet content and not looking for that happy couple scenario is something I am at home with. What's wrong with that?

lol works for me so far.... I think :)

I listened to the 9 am repeat this morning on the way to work.
Pure Aural Pleasure!
Literally just the sound of those 2 voices, let alone what they were communicating verbally, has been, sadly, the highlight of my week.
The mix of Kirrsty's low East Kilbride cultured burr in amongst Morrissey's soft, warm Lancashire tones was beautiful.
:)

Any recordings?

Is there any chance to listen to this after having missed the BBC 7-day-podcast? I'd be happy to know!

Back
Top Bottom