Morrissey - The Extended Interview - news.com.au

Morrissey: the extended interview - News.com.au
MORRISSEY'S light hasn't gone out, writes Cameron Adams.

UPDATE Sep. 29:

chrisarclark sends the link / excerpt:

Coachella bosses offer meat ban in return for Smiths reunion - WENN / MSN

Excerpt:

"[Morrissey and Johnny Marr have] always insisted they are not interested in putting [The Smiths] back together, but it's now emerged Coachella organisers promised staunch vegetarian Morrissey they would ban all meat products from the site in Indio, California for the entire event if he reunited the group for a headline performance."

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey interview in australian newspaper

Was browsing through the herald sun last week and it had a Q&A with morrissey. I dont have a scanner to upload it so I just type it here for you to hopefully enjoy. apologies if it has already been posted here.

Cameron Adams- There was a brilliant rumour you were contemplating a tour of our outback not so long ago. Fact or fiction?Morrissey- It was planned, but the offers didn't cover the travel expences,so we couldn't do it. Interestingly alot of good offers are coming in this tear, which I think is the result of very successful touring. Nothing else, of course!

CA- As an animal lover, do you have a favourite Australian animal?[/
M-Eric Bana

CA- Your 2012 world tour has been undertaken with no managment, record label or album to promote. The enduring success without these usual tools must be particularly gratifying
M- It's very gratifying, but it take independence a bit too far and isn't generally understood or acknowledged. I still dream of a manager who actually manages. But they dont exist. Managers simply manage themselves in realation to what the artist does.

CA- your between record labels, is there an update?
M-Not really. The horizon remains bleak.But I except it now.I exist only in the live arena or youtube.talent is now so artificially shaped that to tour successfully and to have integrity and meaning to whatever you do are utterly foreign commodities to the music industry.

CA- A few new songs have been aired live. Is there an album?
M-we were ready to record the album 18 months ago,but there were no takers. I was recently approached by sony, but the offer was so poor I'd end up paying for everything with my own finaces, yet splitting the profit with the label. It doesn't make sense.

CA- What are your thought on twitter on facebook
M-I know nothing about twitter, and I can only roughly assess facebook. twitter seems useful in some ways because you are no longer at the mercy of press interpretation, but facebook is so self gratifying. you might think you have 900 friends, but it is an illusion. you might aswell live in a lighthouse off the scottish highlands. People think that they in touch because they print a few lines everyday, but to me it seems like essence of loneliness.

CA- You aired your disgust at watching the "dazzling" royal family during the olympics. Did prince Harry naked billiards in Vegas cross your radar?
M- I wasn't surprised by Harry in vegas as He has always been an absolute idiot.the monarchy is formost a business, and its important to them that the Brittish public continue to finance the excessive, luxurious lifestyles of the now quite enormous and useless "royal" family. I find it very sad that William shoots deer, Kates favourite food is the shockingly cruel fois gras, Harry shoots water buffalo, Charles had and affair with camel(sic) whilst still married to diana....they are the most dysfuntional, unpleasant and arrogant people pn the planet.....a sour soap opera, and they should soon resign and retire

CA- at coachella a few years ago, you complained about the whaft of burning flesh from a nearby barbecue. As a devout vegetarian, has the been a problem since at outdoor shows?
M-Not at all, and interestingly the agents for coachella offered a %100 vegetarian event the following year if I agree to headline with johnny marr as the smiths. Fascinatingly, the they would "not require" the smiths's bass player or drummer, which I thought certainly said something.

CA-Russel Brand is a friend of yours. what is your favourite of his films?
MI lovce Russell but his films are a bit cheeky-wonky-daft-Dudely Moore Brittish-pottiness for me, and russells voice has a higher pitch in each film- Its almost a squel now. I wish he'd do King Lear or something, because he'd be magnificent.

CA-Any inside word on your looming autobiography?Does it have a title yet?
MOf course it has a title!titles are just as important as content. I've said almost too much about the book recently- more words than there are in the book itself- so I cant add anything. It will be laid bare soon, to be loved despised or ignored. Fate will decide. I'll be in Tibet tapping a singing-bowl.

CA-How long did it spend in the mitts or Lawyers?
M- No lawyers involved, and no need for any.If the book expresses event insofar as they affected me on a personal level, then how can such things be disputed? They cant.

CA-Are you a fan of the killers? Who often cite you as an influence?
M- The killers asked me to sing with them this month in new york, but I'm just not the type. I stick to my own backyard

CA- What are the crucial elements in your rider these day?
M-there is no way I can make this reply sound interesting:water,bread,orange juice,black tea,duvel,grapes. This is what I am. Are you disappointed?

Re: Morrissey interview in australian newspaper

Just as I was about to write Morrissey off as a crotchety old has-been. He likes Duvel - good man.

Back
Top Bottom