Morrissey's Vocal Melodies

As far as vocal melodies go I have a strange fondness for Lucky Lisp, Tomorrow, Christian Dior, and Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before! That's just off the top of my head though, there's loads more I find the melody especially good on.

By the way I would SO buy 10 of those windchimes. I'd buy all 250+ different versions (which MUST be produced) if only I had the cash! :lbf:

I think I'm hatching a plan to finally meet Morrissey because he'll definitely have to sign off on the idea, right? Think it might involve lunch and maybe some sex too? :lbf:

Rubber Ring has one my favourite vocal melodies.

Last edited:
Erm..it's kind of self explanatory, really..:o
Vocal melody is what Moz sings in comparison to what the instruments play. He expands on the melody in the song. In other words, Morrissey doesn't sing the exact notes in the guitar line, he sings a different line that he must come up with himself that makes the song more interesting.

Thank you, I was really unsure about this :rolleyes:

Morrissey has always said that to him, when he writes a song, the vocal melody is the most important thing.

So, which songs do you think are best in terms of vocal melody/effects? Just interested to see what everyone else thinks, as I was thinking about this last night. It's difficult to chose, but...

'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' is very interesting tune-wise (and quite surprising the first few times you hear it), as is 'I Started Something I Couldn't Finish', which is unbeleivably catchy and singable. 'Late Night, Maudlin Street' is another, as are 'Tomorrow' and 'The World is Full of Crashing' bores. Just my two cents. :)

Your thoughts? :)

Great Q!!!

Off the top of my head (and I will probably listen to the entire back catalogue over the next 24 hrs to find more!!)

Piccadilly Palare is right up there.

I Started Something is my 2nd fave Smiths track (behind What Difference Does It Make), but to me, he doesn't expand on the melody much? The grrrrs and throwaway 'fair enough' followed by that repeated guitar note into the chorus make that track though!!

Great Q!!!

Off the top of my head (and I will probably listen to the entire back catalogue over the next 24 hrs to find more!!)

I Started Something is my 2nd fave Smiths track (behind What Difference Does It Make), but to me, he doesn't expand on the melody much? The grrrrs and throwaway 'fair enough' followed by that repeated guitar note into the chorus make that track though!!

Why thankyou, I try. :D

Yes on all counts- the 'fair enough' and growls on 'ISSICF' are great.

By the way, I love your username and signature. :p

Why thankyou, I try. :D

Yes on all counts- the 'fair enough' and growls on 'ISSICF' are great.

By the way, I love your username and signature. :p

:blushing: Oh you!

I was only trying to compete with your location! ;)

Speaking on the Moz growling and moaning and the like.....
Wonderful Woman - After the elongated "runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn", the music has a kind of diminuendo which he "ohhh-hooo"s to, before the harmonica bits. (Around the 2:12 mark on the remastered version), makes me swoon like a horny teenager!!

:blushing: Oh you!

I was only trying to compete with your location! ;)

Speaking on the Moz growling and moaning and the like.....
Wonderful Woman - After the elongated "runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn", the music has a kind of diminuendo which he "ohhh-hooo"s to, before the harmonica bits. (Around the 2:12 mark on the remastered version), makes me swoon like a horny teenager!!

What, my 'land's cheerless marshes'? hehe :D

And oh yes. 'Wonderful Woman' is just divine. Love it. :love:

Thank you, I was really unsure about this :rolleyes:

:thumb:
Anytime, mate.

Oooh, I second all mentioned here :thumb:
Thanks Billy :)

The first that comes to mind for me would have to be "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils." If you think about it, Moz had to come up with a vocal line for Shostakovich's 5th Symphony :o Not quite easy, if you ask me.

Although I know few of you may agree with me..:rolleyes: :D

Very well noticed.

I've always thought any song when he has a falsetto voice.

Tags
windchimes
Back
Top Bottom