Next Morrissey single

Some people are getting a little bit too wound up about the release of Swords. Granted, most people on here will have all the songs that are on it. But this site does not represent the majority of potential Morrissey-buyers. A few posters, a few advertisements, a few good reviews, a couple of TV appearances and a few live dates and the record will sell pretty well.

Record companies aren't entirely naive, I doubt they are expecting record-breaking sales.

It's a collection of good songs for (the majority of) fans who will not have them.

Let this be the end of the Swords debate and the "Morrissey is after all my money" argument.

He got quite a bit of these things for YoR, an album of new material and, after a decentish first week, it's gotta go down as a bit of a disappointment commerically.

How an album of b-sides will fare well is beyond me.
I would be very surprised if there's much of a label push for this compilation in all honesty. Don't mean they'll just stick it out in a white slipcase or anything, just that financially it's unlikely to be worth risking spending lots on promo when it's unlikely to recoup much of it.

I get your point but there was no promo single for Rare Tracks or My Early Burglary Years and people bought those easily enough back then and his fan base is even bigger now no?

Rare Tracks
was Japan-only wasn't it? I'm not sure as I've always seen it as an odd release and not paid much attention to it.
As for My Early... I'm not sure of the facts figures of it at all, but looking at it it seems to be the only release that year from Moz (I'm happy to be corrected), not to mention how the industry has changed in ten years - if it's going to be a physical release (which I assume is more expensive than a digital-only release) then I'd suspect the record company will want to make some money from it and therefore it'd be in their interest to promote it a touch. It's not like Morrissey is coming off the back of a hugely successful album/tour - word of mouth doesn't seem strong enough for it to sell by his own momentum.

Personally, I'd be happy with a strong song backed with some live b-sides ('You Say You Don't Love Me' or others that haven't made an appearance yet, not just a.n. other Smiths song) on limited release.

But I would be honestly be shocked if there was no record company support for the record and it was just put out into the shops without a mention.

For god's sakes Moz has already announced Swords will be B sides of the last 3 albums. Where are you guys getting the idea it will have new songs and that these B sides will feature on a tour that has already finished?

Most of us have included in our posts that it is unlikely, but honestly, you can't blame us for hoping. All of us would like to see new material, naturally.

Moz Just rereleased SP and Mal and unfortunately not one of those songs appeared on the YOR tour to promote it.

Well, at least not from Maladjusted. 'The Boy Racer' would've been good from SG, a good hard-rocking number for the tour, and why 'Maladjusted' and 'Ammunition' weren't at least played is beyond me. They would've been perfect.

I'll buy Swords and eat it if one of the B sides is released as a single :lbf:

We're going to hold you two that :lbf: You'll have to make a video of it for us if it happens :D

I don't need another single from YOR anyway as I doubt it'll have new B sides. If they had recorded any new B sides they would have been on Skull.

It's not about what YOU need :D

It's not about what YOU need :D

Yes it is :D

btw to promote SG and MAL which was one of his worst missed opportunities playing Reader Meet Author and Boy Racer from SG and Alma Matters, Trouble loves me and Roy's Keen from MAL would've been amazing!

And I should know cuz I saw these songs live at Battersea in Nineteen Ninety Heaven! :)

Yes it is :D

btw to promote SG and MAL which was one of his worst missed opportunities playing Reader Meet Author and Boy Racer from SG and Alma Matters, Trouble loves me and Roy's Keen from MAL would've been amazing!

And I should know cuz I saw these songs live at Battersea in Nineteen Ninety Heaven! :)

If only Roy's Keane were actually on the re-release. A very strange omission to me. I don't think much of it as a single but it's a decent track. A little odd but that's part of its charm.

If only Roy's Keane were actually on the re-release. A very strange omission to me. I don't think much of it as a single but it's a decent track. A little odd but that's part of its charm.

It's a very catchy track, IMO. And live, it's simply fantastic. The 1997 KROQ session? Brilliant. :thumb:

But removing Roy's Keen and Papa Jack (2 great trax) and keeping Satan which is ahem...cough...splutter! is Mozzer's style all over!

Well people here told me I was foolish to think there wouldn't be any new singles from YOR after Skull even though there are 4 singles off it already. I remember someone saying that we shouldn't include THPGU and AYNIM because they were already on greatest hits. Well now some time has passed and as I thought so there are no new singles from YOR.

thx, I'm here all week :D

Well people here told me I was foolish to think there wouldn't be any new singles from YOR after Skull even though there are 4 singles off it already. I remember someone saying that we shouldn't include THPGU and AYNIM because they were already on greatest hits. Well now some time has passed and as I thought so there are no new singles from YOR.

thx, I'm here all week :D

Did anyone really call you foolish for thinking that? I just think that most of us wanted to see another release, and you really can't blame us for that :p

I won't - I don't buy singles and don't download music either. A bit of a cave(wo)man, really. So I'm one of the few who are looking forward to Swords.

Seconded. Although I do download on occasion, I would prefer to have a solid and accessible collection of B-sides than search them out (yes, I know). I'm not a big one for buying singles either, so yep, I'm looking forward to it too. :) A new song or b-side as a single from Swords would be nice, but I doubt it very much.

I always download songs. In Brazil singles are expensive and hard to get. Of course when I find singles with good prices I buy them. Albums I always buy them.

When Years of refusal has lacked I downloaded it very happy.

It is a bloody shame that there has been no single at all since Skull. Fair enough, somebody did mention that we got two last year ( grow up/all you need) so that is enough for YOR. At least one between Black cloud and Birthday should have been a single.
Cheers Moz

i've always thought that it's not your birthday anymore would be brilliant as a single. it's certainly a very strong track.

Back
Top Bottom