questions about starting a vinyl collection

joevsw0rld

hello. I'm trying to start a small smiths / moz collection. can anyone lend any useful information as to where i can obtain records (not rareities), etc. im also looking for vintage shirts (size s), and posters or artwork. pretty much anything as long as its not too expensive haha. Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I do not much about this stuff. Also any useful information (so i dont get jipped) would be much appreciated too. thanks

Last edited:
I think you'd better check your local charity shops and ebay. Charity shops are really good place to find records. If you don't live in UK, this isn't good advice though. Also ebay is good site to find records.
Good luck:)

Thanks, I live in the US so I dont really know what a charity shop is. The problem I'm having with ebay is that I find a record I want to purchase, but it gets to be very expensive each one and paying shipping each time. If anyone would like to do business with me here's a brief list of things im searching for (keep in mind I would love to try and buy a bulk of these at once and I dont have anything but cash). I'm not looking for any rareities, just the regular records will do. Thanks and pardon my newishness.

(uk lp)
The Smiths
Hatful of Hollow
Meat Is Murder
The Queen Is Dead
The World Wont Listen
Louder Than Bombs
Strangeways Here We Come
Rank

Smiths's Singles
(all of them)

joevsw0rld, what Britons refer to as "charity shops", you will know them as they are referred to in the States; thrift stores. In general, the inhabitants of the UK prize music more than us Americans, in my opinion. And thusly, their thrift stores are much better than ours when it comes to finding second hand vinyl. Unless you want Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" on lp, or a cassette of Warrant's "Cherry Pie", it isn't much use going to a US thrift store in search of music.

I'd suggest bidding on those poor souls who put up lot auctions; multiple items in one auction. Oftentimes I see people selling all the stock UK 7" singles in one auction, all the stock UK 12" singles in 1 auction, etc.

Try to skip the mistakes that every beginning collector makes. Like buying interview picture discs (or really any interview in general), the "Live Panic!" bootleg cd, and not paying attention to the condition of the item when buying it. Every novice collector will have that Red Door or Baktabak interview disc, the hammered "Boy With Thorn" US 12", and the "Live Panic!" bootleg which was recorded at the wrong speed.

You say you're not looking for rarities, but I bet if you quizzed the 100 biggest collectors and ask them, the consensus would probably be that they wish they hadn't bought all the plain jane mundane stuff, and only went for the jugular; the top rarities.

I look back 15 years to when I first started collecting. You could still find the UK Rough Trade cd singles at Tower, and the local downtown record store had many of the German colored vinyl 12"s new for $10, and had several copies of "Education In Reverse" new for $18.

thanks for the link, appreciate it. I'll also have to check out local record stores too beau. the only gripe i have with collection rareities, is that i could buy multiple items , for the same price as buying a 100$ record with a misprinted sleeve :X. I guess I just want to start simple, then work my way up. anyway thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I'd wait on the ebay route

The prices are all out of whack right now
Paying 20 bucks for a Queen Is Dead record is moronic
If you live in a state with Half Price Books check it out

I hate to say it but I'd wait on the ebay route

The prices are all out of whack right now
Paying 20 bucks for a Queen Is Dead record is moronic
If you live in a state with Half Price Books check it out

thanks for the advice. what should i be paying for a typical lp?

it all depends

World Won't Listen would've been tougher to find in the US since it wasnt in as great a supply back then (in America)
Think how many THOUSANDS of Strangeways and Queen there must have been around that time though

it all depends

World Won't Listen would've been tougher to find in the US since it wasnt in as great a supply back then (in America)
Think how many THOUSANDS of Strangeways and Queen there must have been around that time though

The World Won't Listen was never released in the US. Queen Is Dead and Strangeways were.

Hatful Of Hollow was never released on vinyl in the US, and the cd wasn't released until '93.

Hatful Of Hollow is the easiest UK lp to find in the States, as it was heavily imported.

Have lots of $$$$ as MANY Smiths items are overpriced due to greedy f***s trying to rip other fans off. Saw a guy on here last year, who about 5 years ago, bought a supposed "OOP"Single on cd @ one of the conventions. Inevitably, it wound up here for 5 times what he paid for it @ the convention & the worst part is, he got it. He paid no more than 10 bucks for it, as i was standing right by him when he bought it. Not a friend or anyone i know, just happened to be @ the table when he was. I laughed and thought to myself:" Yep, that'll make it on ebay in a few years".

Last edited:
The World Won't Listen was never released in the US. Queen Is Dead and Strangeways were.

Hatful Of Hollow was never released on vinyl in the US, and the cd wasn't released until '93.

Hatful Of Hollow is the easiest UK lp to find in the States, as it was heavily imported.

that's what I meant
WWL should go for more in the US since you couldnt get it here
I was pointing out that you have to realize there were loads of the US albums pressed and they arent hard to find at all

A friend and I were talking about the Shoplifters 12 inch promo that went for 200 on ebay recently

How many of those do we all have or have you passed up?
That isn't close to being 200 dollars rare

dunno if you have them in America but over here in UK we have record fairs & although I've not been to one in over a year, you used to be able to pick up the singles for between £1 & £2 for rough trade in mint condition. Do you have the equivalent of the Record Collector magazine, because that publication lists when & where the fairs are. They are usally quite good for bootlegs too.

love

Grim

I see quite reasonable "Buy It Now" stuff all the time on ebay...$10 for and LP or 12", etc. I've passed countless copies of Queen is Dead and Meat is Murder (amongst other things) locally for $5. Make an effort around your local record stores, you'ld be surprised what you'll come across.

Back
Top Bottom