Radio airplay for the new Morrissey songs

A

Anonymous

There's a lot of Morrissey hype around at the mo. Probably enough to shift 50,000-70,000 album sales in first week of new album regardless of its quality.
But whether it'll sell well beyond then depends on how radio stations react to the singles. In the past 10 years he's sometimes had the support of XfM, Radio 2 and Absolute (all three for his best single).
So how is the new stuff fairing?
Well, World Peace doesn't seem to have made it onto any playlists at all yet, and has been played just 4 times to date in the UK (in the last month). It will need to reach 100, and ideally close to 500, for this to translate to album sales.
http://comparemyradio.com/artists/Morrissey/tracks
Maybe the stations think it's a bit rubbish...
Maybe they're holding back for the release of Istanbul in a few days time...

Well, a minute long didgeridoo intro probably doesn't help (unless he was trying to get promo on the back of Rolf Harris' court case) . If he wanted airplay, then there would be promo radio edits of the single being sent to radio stations around the world. As far as I am aware, that is not happening.

"World Peace Is None Of Your Business" is something of an earworm. I think people might like it if they heard it. I don't know what format it fits but I would try to help get it played if anyone had some ideas about which stations to request.

Well, World Peace hasn't got beyond a pitiful 5 plays in the UK in the week since it was released.
Istanbul has now had its first play on 6 Music. Fingers crossed, it might get added to some playlists (Radio 2, XfM etc) later in the week...

World Peace still hasn't got beyond 5 plays (in the last month).
Istanbul is now on 3 (2 on 6 Music, 1 on R2 Janice Long). Worryingly, neither song has made it to the new station playlists for this Saturday.
The big Morrissey singles of the last 10 years were being played several hundred times per month, so this is pretty pitiful.
Maybe the one-a-week single strategy has prevented stations from taking them seriously.
If the picture doesn't improve over the coming two or three weeks, we're going to have a very badly selling album on our hands, come July, followed by another 5 years in the wilderness...

Whomever the idiot is at Harvest that came up with this non single release format needs to go. Yes the 'spoken word' clips are kind of original but technically they are just another way for people to not hear the new tracks.

No physical release means less purchases. No traditional music videos just means less exposure. No B sides means less incentive to even purchase the digital versions. None of these early released songs have any art work even. These songs as much as I love them are INVISIBLE singles. Beyond stupidity!

They may as well have announced the releases in a newspaper.

Last edited:
Kinda sucks that the singles aren't being physically released; being of the younger generation of fans it's not like I was able to buy "My Love Life" so it would have been cool to maybe pick up an "Istanbul".

Just for vanity's sake at least it would have been nice to see the singles given a chance to chart higher. I mean imagine this album ends up peaking at something abominable like 27. Now that would look pretty bad given Morrissey's track record.

I am still hoping that the singles will eventually be physically released......to me it would not look normal !! In the end the Album is not out till middle of July so plenty of time.

Cheers Moz

Just listened to the radio edit of "Istanbul"...slightly faster, added guitar and keyboard not featured in the studio version, and shortened outro. This will be a nice rarity to have if anyone receives any physical copies of it from Harvest...

Last Sunday a Toronto station played "Everyday Is Like Sunday" as well as The Smiths "Panic" in the space of a few hours but so far no new Morrissey.

I am still hoping that the singles will eventually be physically released......to me it would not look normal !! In the end the Album is not out till middle of July so plenty of time.

Cheers Moz

I'm now of the camp that says I don't think these new songs are singles. There's a chart for them but that's all there is.

The fact that BBC radio2 and 6 don't have Istanbul in their playlist is inexplicable. What are they waiting for?

This is Morrissey's best single in a long time.

Istanbul is now on bbc radio 2 playlist C and bbc radio 6 playlist A

Back
Top Bottom