The ONE song gig....

Given Fridays happenings did anyone else go to The Smiths gig that lasted , well actually LESS than one song ?

I had tickets for The Smiths at Preston Guildhall on The Queen is Dead tour.

The band came on and opened up with TQID - part way through the song somebody threw something and hit Morrissey on the head and I recall he was cut. He walked off stage and after a long delay the lights came up and that was the end of the gig and the end of The Smiths for me because I never got to see them again.

Gutted !! The crowd were singing " Hang the Thrower" to the tune of Panic!!

So I really do feel for all those that were there on Friday although they did get 3 songs more than me on that occasion !

Fingers crossed for the rest of the dates coming up.

Given Fridays happenings did anyone else go to The Smiths gig that lasted , well actually LESS than one song ?

I had tickets for The Smiths at Preston Guildhall on The Queen is Dead tour.

The band came on and opened up with TQID - part way through the song somebody threw something and hit Morrissey on the head and I recall he was cut. He walked off stage and after a long delay the lights came up and that was the end of the gig and the end of The Smiths for me because I never got to see them again.

Gutted !! The crowd were singing " Hang the Thrower" to the tune of Panic!!

So I really do feel for all those that were there on Friday although they did get 3 songs more than me on that occasion !

Fingers crossed for the rest of the dates coming up.

you can get all gig info on boh morrissey and the smiths on

www.passionsjustlikemine.com

i don't think he was asking for information about it since he said he was there.

he was asking if anyone ELSE was there.

but no I wasn't there. I'm far too young.
i'd of loved to see at least one song though :)

it was more on the fact that the site gives actual information about the gig , there is also a section if you were there to contribute

for example the thing that hit morrissey was a drumstick ....

my intention was to give him more info about the gig , which was the way i understand the thread was intended

it was more on the fact that the site gives actual information about the gig , there is also a section if you were there to contribute

for example the thing that hit morrissey was a drumstick ....

my intention was to give him more info about the gig , which was the way i understand the thread was intended

Did Mike Joyce throw it? :eek:

No f***ing way.

So, was that the first and the last time you saw them??

No I saw them on two other occasions although that was the only outright Smiths gig I went to.

First time was at the Liverpool Royal Court at a benefit gig for the suspended Liverpool councillors called " With Love From Manchester". The headlined but shared the bill with New Order, The Fall and John Cooper Clarke - not a bad line up eh ?!

Second time was at the Festival of the 10th Summer at the then newly opened G-Mex. The Smiths headlined what was a full day of Manchester bands. I have a radio recording of that set too.

you can get all gig info on boh morrissey and the smiths on

www.passionsjustlikemine.com

Cheers for that. Here are the comments :

27 October 1986
Guildhall, Preston
The Queen Is Dead
This started off on a good note but the set was terminated after only one song because, at the end of his vocal part in the opener "The Queen Is Dead", Morrissey was wounded by a drum stick thrown back on stage (some people believed it might have been a bottle or a coin). The drum stick had been sent into the crowd at the beginning of the song by Johnny after he used it to accompany Mike on the song's intro. Eventually it was thrown back towards the stage (like many other items before it) and struck Morrissey on the head. The singer dropped the microphone and left. The band waited a bit, then someone announced that the show was on hold for 5 minutes while a doctor examined Morrissey. Shortly after, there was an announcement that he had to be brought to an hospital and that the concert had to be cancelled.
Fortunately there was no violence like in Newport the week before when something similar had happened, probably because the show never really started. It felt more like a false start than like a show being cancelled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom