Throwing my Arms Around Paris - lyrics meaning?

someofusisturningnasty said:
I don't agree with the suggestion about the song being about objectum sexuality. Morrissey seems to be embracing Paris because he is lonely and otherwise loveless- "in the absence of your love, and in the absence of human touch "etc and opts for Paris almost as a defensive gesture in order to avoid to get hurt. It's a very conscious decision on his behalf.
QUOTE]

he does say " and I have decided I'M throwing my arms around, around paris."

he has decided on paris, but maybe he means Paris Hilton?

Wozzer, I think the OW idea could be an interpretation/inspiration for the song.

Stung by rejection "I have decided..." is about making a personal choice, reclaiming control.

"Yes you've made yourself plain..." I'm not waiting for you to change your mind
"Yes you've made yourself very plain..." and I've realised how dull and uninteresting you really are..

So, could be a mix of observation and experience...

well what if he is still talking about the same thing.
he's throwing his arms around paris even though it's made itself very plain.

the thread ansd the "fall in love with objects" reminds me of this:

Rymans, the stationers. To me it's like a sweet shop. I go in there for hours, smelling the envelopes. As I grew up I used to love stationery and pens and booklets and binders. I can get incredibly erotic about blotting paper. So for me, going into Rymans is the most extreme sexual experience one could ever have.
http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/quotes/20quest.htm

What do you find highly erotic at the grand old age of 25?
"Highly erotic? Mmmmm... I can't give you a satisfactory reply. I do find many things erotic, but I can't give you a satisfactory reply. As a child of the Sixties, when the seats of cars were made of leather, to me there was something highly erotic about actually being in a car. I have always found cars highly erotic - not the driver's seat ... there was just something about the old leather seats ... The things that I find erotic are certain situations. They don't even have to be particularly sexual ... I don't have to tell you. The erotic feelings I have are very conventional, I'm afraid. It's just - oh, I can't say!!!"
Sounds, April 20th 1985

:p:p:D

Last edited:
Wozzer, I think the OW idea could be an interpretation/inspiration for the song.

Stung by rejection "I have decided..." is about making a personal choice, reclaiming control.

"Yes you've made yourself plain..." I'm not waiting for you to change your mind
"Yes you've made yourself very plain..." and I've realised how dull and uninteresting you really are..

So, could be a mix of observation and experience...

Yes, I believe that Wilde is the key to understanding the songs general point.

This song is no more than a bland ditty. It's like a fading Yorkshire landmark on an old beer mat.
Wake up Mozza.
Please.

well what if he is still talking about the same thing.
he's throwing his arms around paris even though it's made itself very plain.

I wish he could go with me to Rainbow Church to vote today.

It must be a reference to Oscar Wilde's life - primarily anyway.

'absence of your love' - Bosie's love?

'absence of human touch' - being excoriated from British culture and society?

'I have decided I'm throwing my arms around Paris' - self-imposed exile

I think the lover is Bosie, maybe after he saw Wilde for the last time in Paris, having inherited a large fortune, before he got married renounced his deviant ways etc. He wrote in this unpublished (until 2004) letter about Wilde:

"I do not know of any man who more truly or literally sold himself to the Devil than he did."

- so you can imagine what he said to Wilde's face in their last meeting ('made yourself very plain').

It must be a reference to Oscar Wilde's life - primarily anyway.

'absence of your love' - Bosie's love?

'absence of human touch' - being excoriated from British culture and society?

'I have decided I'm throwing my arms around Paris' - self-imposed exile

I think the lover is Bosie, maybe after he saw Wilde for the last time in Paris, having inherited a large fortune, before he got married renounced his deviant ways etc. He wrote in this unpublished (until 2004) letter about Wilde:

"I do not know of any man who more truly or literally sold himself to the Devil than he did."

- so you can imagine what he said to Wilde's face in their last meeting ('made yourself very plain').

very Intriguing

Doesn't have to be literally Paris, could be the concept of beauty and/or art. He doesn't have an individual to love so he throws all that energy into the love of art. Paris could just be picked because it fitted phonetically into the melody.

I can't get away from the impression that Morrissey is throwing his arms around Judy Garland's Paris. Furthermore I found proof of it in this:
10101722A~Judy-Garland-A-Star-is-Born-Posters.jpg
picture.php

I think you guys ought to know though, that I forgot to take my meds today. :rolleyes:

PARIS IS A LONELY TOWN

judy garland

the glamour's gone,
the shades are down,
and paris is only a lonely town.
lonely
when love's a laugh
and you're the clown
then paris is only another town
dreary
for the lovers clown
this town's a weary merry go round
and round and round
the chestnut, the willow, the colors of utrillo
turn to grey, grey hues
the band playing vyse
along the champs elysees
sounds like wake up blues
paris is a lonely, dreary, oh so lonely town
where's that shining flower
'neath the Eiffel tower?
where's that fairy land of gold?
isn't it a pity that this magic city
turned suddenly cold?
the chimneys moan
the river cries
each glamorous bridge is a bridge of sighs
river, river, won't you be my lover?
don't turn me down
for paris is such a lonely, lonely town.

He is clearly referring to his pet robot named Paris, who is made of stone and steel. He is also rehearsing a version of "Mr. Roboto" for the upcoming tour.

i thought it was paris hilton cos hes the only rock star whos not shagged her.

Tags
merkin
Back
Top Bottom