TTY has a fantastic new letter from Morrissey!!!

Great words from Barcelonely...Can we have a serving like this once a month, please? Some thoughts:

- Special disdain for the IMOLA (his caps) gig, the same date of that email

- First time I can recall Bona Drag being singled out for high praise, much to the delight of many fans who get upset when its not included in album polls

- He's still hellishly proud of Ringleader -- you only have to look at the setlists (the most common complaint on this site?)

- Agreement from Moz himself that the current lineup is the best yet. Can't argue as far as playing goes, but surprised at the hormone quip, which is surely directed at Alain (with possible side orders of Deano or Spenny). It's true that not a few ladies (and men) enjoyed Alain's onstage presence, but I think he's been Morrissey's strongest songwriting partner since the demise of The Smiths.

- Looked up some pix of Madeley and his wife -- yikes! It really does look like a proud mom with a second-childhood-son on her arm.

- "Thanks as always to Julia for facing all of those check-ins and checkouts so squarely and bravely; I honestly have no idea what could possibly make it worth it. " The old Mozza self deprecation at its best.

Self effacing, grateful, bashful, beligerent, petty, spiteful and very amusing. Perfection!

King Leer said:
- Special disdain for the IMOLA (his caps) gig, the same date of that email

Which email?

Re: Moz's Statement

no one in particular said:
aly! you could have kept this in the thread already started on this!

ie, TTY has a fantastic new letter from Morrissey!!!

i guess a nice mod merged that other thread in here! many thanks

Worm said:
At first I thought, The Fire Next Time? Is that Morrissey's taste? And then I remembered that Baldwin was bisexual-- true to form for his literary heroes.

Aww...you don't like Baldwin? I've only read Giovanni's Room, but I thought it was good times.

My left eyebrow arched, however, when I got to the passage in the letter in which, after complaining about the attention The Smiths still get after all these years, he then slagged Warner Brothers for failing to re-release "The Queen Is Dead" on its 20-year anniversary. Does he really want to move on or what?

It's contradictory, yes, but I also think it's a very human reaction. Just because Morrissey wants people to like him for what he's doing now doesn't mean he has to disown his past, and just because he's complaining about record companies being greedy doesn't mean he can't criticize them for pursuing their greed incompetently.

Indeed, I'd be surprised if he didn't act this way. Nearly all the prose that Morrissey has ever written (that I've seen) has been amazing, free-associative rambling-- basically "And another thing! And another thing," with the individual "things" springing from the pen in a remarkably fully-realized manner. Each one seems whole and complete in itself, just like his songs. If he's criticizing, each decision is criticized on its own terms; "you're unethical [but I don't appear to care whether you're financially responsible]" and then "you have no financial responsibility [but I don't appear to care whether you have any ethics]"...and then..."what's up with the sleeve? ...You are incompetent. ...My theme! Is that! You! Are! Incompetent!"

I mean, he's a very good prose writer -I've come around to this point of view after some consideration- but the degree to which he veers around...

But onto the next thing...

It's also interesting to read how he continues to believe himself totally removed from the music business, and even from his own back catalog. He only hears about re-issues from the rumor mill, the record company consults him but ignores his most pointed advice, promoters "gamble" on him, radio ignores him, the press is living thirty years in the past, and so on. Does he really believe he is so out of step with the industry-- and for that matter cut off from his own legacy?

I think so, yes. I mean, it's in any interview he did in the High Lawsuit Period between 1997 and 2004. He seems like such a sane, pleasant man, and then you get on the wrong topic, and suddenly EVERYONE IS AGAINST HIM and NO FAILURE IS HIS FAULT and most of all, PEOPLE ARE WRONG.

I genuinely don't see self-awareness there.

(I have a pet theory, which I don't want taken too seriously, that Morrissey has a real thing about not succeeding. I think he's got this mindset that says if you succeed as an entertainer -sell the record, do the TV spots, be widely adored- than you have failed as an artist, because you have lost the ability to confuse and shock people and force them to reconsider their worldview. I don't entirely agree with it, but I think it's true to a certain degree, and I think it's part of the reason why Morrissey continually falls on his own sword whenever it appears he's about to truly break through.

Once again, part of the reason, and one of many contradictory motivations, if it exists at all in the brain of this person I don't even know. Anyway.)

Well, easy: Morrissey kicks and screams in Sanctuary's office for Merck and the boys to promote his album. This is how he minds the shop, so to speak. Then Sanctuary does its thing, which means every dirty trick in the book to get fans to buy more copies to drum up sales, increase chart positions, and so forth. And when someone gets upset and accuses Morrissey of greed, trotting out the old line about the "extra track and a tacky badge"? Morrissey can answer that he has little control over how his music is promoted. He essentially disavows the shop.

Politicians work the same way.

Sanctuary sucks, doesn't it? And Morrissey really does let them suck, and dodge the blame. However, I actually think that in this case, he's not all that culpable. Yes, THE EMAIL betrays an exhaggerated sense of public interest in his new work, as well as a strange concept of what kind of publicity is good publicity ("massive tabloid coverage...my face foremost!"), but basically, it was a sensible request. He wanted to be on radio and play his songs on TV; he wanted people to be aware that the album was out. He didn't ask Sanctuary to do the stupid repackaging crap that they do, which drives up sales but exploits the fans as well as Morrissey himself.

It's a case of incompetence/an unwillingness to dirty the hands vs. laziness and plain sleaze. I have to take Incompetence's side.

Far from dismissing this as an interesting but marginal element of his career, you instead start to wonder a little if he doesn't make creative choices based on his business dealings (or his perceived exclusion). The words "lawnmower parts" spring to mind for some reason.

I absolutely think that he does, and always to his detriment. To be honest with you, though, I'd rather he did what he does -write lyrics about lawsuits and "They who should love me walk right through me..."- than let this stuff creep insidiously into the whole of his work. Keep the paranoia where I can see it, is what I'm saying.

Anyway, just a few remarks. I don't mean to sound critical. I just find Morrissey's direct statements as revealing about his personality as they are delightful tablets from the mountaintop. The man is always entertaining and, for better or worse, always the genuine article. Yet another reminder of how much poorer the world would be without him.

I agree, and also with your later comment about the artist-as-tyrant business and its perverse romanticism. It really was a lovely and (again) very human letter, and I almost feel bad for reading into it like this, but it's hard not to. I'm not sure a creative person can write anything without some sort of interesting subtext.

Last edited:
@ Worm and Faroffplaces - very interesting and intelligent debate.

Thanks for giving me such a great read.

We know to expect that of Worm but hope that we see more of Faroffplaces in the future (when all's well) - so many great newcomers popping up at the moment!

Thanks for the kind words, mjp!

faroffplaces:

* I wasn't saying I disliked Baldwin, just that Morrissey is continuing a fascinating trend in his interviews. He is known as a man of letters, an avid reader and a writer of considerable talent, yet most of his literary heroes are either gay (Wilde, Capote, Proust, Hall) or at least treat gay themes sympathetically (Delaney in "A Taste of Honey" for instance). The rest of his favorites deal with loneliness and depression. Not surprising that he would like writers who treat the themes to which he is personally closest, but what's the nature of his interest?

In 1992, when asked by a fan on MTV if he liked Sylvia Plath, he gave his stock reply of "Her life was more interesting than anything she ever wrote". I think this response typifies his relationship with literature, one identical to his relationship to pop music and movies: an artist's personality fascinates him more than her art. Go down the list of his stated heroes and the common threads are easy to spot. Wilde was Irish and gay, Delaney when she wrote "A Taste of Honey" was an angry young 19 year old writing about a single mother in "a comfortless flat in Manchester", Capote (like Wilde) was gay and a popular writer suddenly and tragically ostracized by society, Plath killed herself, and now Baldwin, a bisexual.

The typical example from films is James Dean. If you read anything from his book "James Dean Is Not Dead" you're instantly struck by Morrissey's deep interest in Dean's alleged bisexuality, among his other virtues.

I'm not attacking Morrissey for this at all, I just find it a curious part of his persona. He is thought of as a literary giant who slums it in the medium of pop music and I'm not sure that's true. Saying that doesn't denigrate his intelligence or artistry. Rather, it grants more intelligence and artistry to what is largely thought of as a disposable, trashy medium. He isn't a poet writing pop songs, he's a writer of pop songs, full stop. He is far more interesting to me because of that fact.

*Observant point about his prose style. He does write as you describe, although I'm not sure I agree that it's good. Entertaining and highly enjoyable, but not necessarily good.

*I don't think your pet theory is crazy, I think it's right on the money. "Glorious defeat" and all that. Is there any doubt that he expects, and maybe even subconsciously wants and wills, to fail (or at any rate to face persecution and calumny)? In this he is following the example of Oscar Wilde, whether he knows it or not. As Richard Ellmann said of Wilde in his unsurpassed biography, the great man believed that he was fated for the highest success followed by a fall into the darkest doom imaginable. More than merely having a presentiment of his great fall, Wilde actually did nothing to prevent it from happening even when he could have (first by foolishly prosecuting the Marquess of Queensbury and then not fleeing England when it was clear he would lose the third trial). It's not crazy to suggest that Morrissey also believes he is fated for his own exile-- glorious martyrdom and eternal fame, in short. If that's true, how much of a contribution is he making to his own downfall?

* Welcome!

Last edited:
retroussé nose said:
Apologies if this is old news, but I'm just too excited after seeing both Helsinki and Ruisrock listed amongst Morrissey's favourite gigs on the tour.
:D Ah yes! I laughed like a loon when I spotted that bit in the letter. I hope it won't take him another 9 years to come back, considering he liked performing here. *cheers Morrissey once more*

I think this response typifies his relationship with literature, one identical to his relationship to pop music and movies: an artist's personality fascinates him more than her art. Go down the list of his stated heroes and the common threads are easy to spot....

True as hell, though in stuff like his Under the Influence liner notes he does sound very passionate about some artists whose lives he doesn't particularly admire, or know anything about.

The typical example from films is James Dean. If you read anything from his book "James Dean Is Not Dead" you're instantly struck by Morrissey's deep interest in Dean's alleged bisexuality, among his other virtues.

Yeah, isn't James Dean amazing? It's a list of traits Morrissey shares with Jimmy, and there seems to be no other purpose for the thing. "James Dean had very poor eyesight...and a close relationship with his mother...and he made a huge drama out of his differences from other people, and he liked men at least some of the time, and he was very passively self-destructive...allow me to speculate for a moment on what on earth is going to happen to me-- I mean Jimmy. If he'd lived. Because I worry."

He isn't a poet writing pop songs, he's a writer of pop songs, full stop. He is far more interesting to me because of that fact.

Yeah, that's the neat thing about Morrissey to me. One of them. He is not (like Dylan or Ani DiFranco) a poet who sings (and audibly sees it as a minor aspect, the thing one must do to connect all-important words to the audience); nor is he a pop singer/melodist who happens to write clever lyrics.

Instead he is one of the very few pop musicians out there who move naturally in the form of pop, in and of itself. He wouldn't make it as a poet or a melody writer or a singer, but when you combine the three he's suddenly one of the best artists out there.

*Observant point about his prose style. He does write as you describe, although I'm not sure I agree that it's good. Entertaining and highly enjoyable, but not necessarily good.

Yeah...it's a distinction that has to be drawn. I thought his Dolls and James Dean books were absolutely terrible prose (though they had their moments) and his Influence liner notes a complex, interesting mess. His Q&A's on TTY are really just annoying, and not in a good way.

But I enjoyed the letters he wrote to his Scottish pen pal back in the early 80's, and a lot of his Email-type stuff -even The Email- that's leaked or shown up on TTY has been great. Maybe what I'm saying is that he's not a good prose writer, but is an excellent letter writer; his eye for effect, ability to round off a thought, word choices ("censorial?"), and timing, particularly as it pertains to moments with the potential for offense, are all particularly suited to letters.

More than merely having a presentiment of his great fall, Wilde actually did nothing to prevent it from happening even when he could have (first by foolishly prosecuting the Marquess of Queensbury and then not fleeing England when it was clear he would lose the third trial). It's not crazy to suggest that Morrissey also believes he is fated for his own exile-- glorious martyrdom and eternal fame, in short. If that's true, how much of a contribution is he making to his own downfall?

Morrissey's apparently got Wilde especially on his mind at the moment, since he's shown up as a tour backdrop; I also suspect there's more to it than that. As you said, Morrissey identifies intensely with his heroes, and Wilde above all of them. I find it amazingly unlikely that Wilde's moving to mainland Europe to die (at 46) had nothing to do with the 46-year-old Morrissey's decision to go to Rome. There were presumably other reasons, but the symbolism must have crossed his mind.

I really think that ROTT has a lot to do with Wilde, and with that numeric coincidence and associated point in Morrissey's life. Large parts of it deal with the things that fuelled Wilde's demise, primarily self-destruction, and the general (whether wry, resigned or angry) sense of its inevitability. It also deals several times with being "destroyed" by a lover (your Lord Alfred Douglas character), and of passively allowing this, most prominently in "You Have Killed Me."

I feel, however, that there's more to the Wilde connection than that. I feel that it's about all the ramifications of rejecting the idea of living your life according to what you think is appropriate for an artist to do -i.e. according to the principles of observation, setting yourself apart from humanity, and pursuing a casual self-destruction- and instead going out and getting laid and saying embarassing things and openly wrestling with the self-destructive habits that have served you so well thus far, even it means that the habits win. The risks are massive humiliation, a loss of objectivity which can lead to literary clumsiness, and the horrible possibility of learning that, without your mantle of caustic reason, you're not actually an artist; the potential reward is an understanding of human life which allows your work to touch the universal. (Forgive my grad-student voice. I'm getting a vanity license plate that says "PONTIFIC-8!"

...but I also believe it.)

Wilde and Morrissey both stepped off that cliff, I think, in about the same way and at about the same time. Morrissey seems to have met with more success on the way down, but we have yet to see what will actually happen to him.

Past a certain point, analyzing ROTT devolves into paradox and speculation. We won't know the story behind it, or how it ends, for years and years. (Well, hopefully.)

(All of this exemplifies the essential annoyance of Morrissey: one tries to work out this character, the persona, interpreting its complexities and reading it as literature, but one is aware aware the entire time that there is a man behind it, and no matter how great the apparent similarity to the persona, we will never know the exact connection between them.)

Art is a dick.

* Welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom