40 Years of Morrissey - False advertising

bored

not bitter but bored
I am really disappointed with the setlist. If this was advertised as "Morrissey Live in Concert' I wouldn't be bothered. It would be what was expected but this was promoted with a poster listing everything he's ever done and it implies that this would be a tour that really covered his entire career. I saw Moz live in December of 2022 and the Orlando show last night had 8 songs different than what I saw that night.

Let's look at the breakdown of where the songs were from:

The Smiths: 0 songs
Hatful of Hollow: 2 songs (I'm counting HSIN since it was not on MIM in North America)
Meat is Murder: 0 songs
The Queen is Dead: 0 songs
Strangeways Here We Come: 2 songs
Louder Than Bombs: 1
Viva Hate: 2
Bona Drag: 0
Kill Uncle: 2 (Will count The Loop here as its best fit)
Your Arsenal: 1 (The best fit for Jack The Ripper)
Vauxhall & I: 1
Maladjusted: 1
You Are The Quarry: 2
Ringleader Of The Tormentors: 0
Years Of Refusal: 0
World Peace Is None Of Your Business: 0
Low In High School: 1
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain: 1
Bonfire Of Teenagers: 1
Without Music The World Dies: 2

This is a poor representation for a tour advertised as "40 Years Of".

I understand that he can't play everything and he isn't going to play more than 19 songs and he isn't going to play a lot of really long songs but here are some easy swaps that would have made this a great show.

Half a Person: I Want The One I Can't Have
The Loop: Bigmouth Strikes Again
Our Frank: The Last of The Famous International Playboys
Alma Matters: Maladjusted or Trouble Loves Me or Now My Heart Is Full
Let Me Kiss You: Come Back To Camden
Girlfriend In A Coma: Still Ill or Hand In Glove
Notre-Dame: The Youngest Was the Most Loved or You Have Killed Me or I Will See You in Far Off Places
I Wish You Lonely: When Last I Spoke To Carol
Jack The Ripper: Tomorrow
Irish Blood, English Heart: Lost
Everyday Is Like Sunday: Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference
How Soon is Now?: There is a Light That Never Goes Out

I know he would like to play some of the unreleased songs so I left in 2 of those.
I tried to put together a set of songs that feels comprehensive and has a good mix of singles and songs the average fan would want to hear plus some album tracks and some b-sides to give something like this.

Still Ill / Please Please Please... / I Want The One I Can't Have/ Bigmouth Strikes Again / There is a Light... / Stop Me if You Think... / Suedehead / The Last of The Famous.. / Such a Little Thing.. / Tomorrow / Speedway / Maladjusted / Lost/ Come Back to Camden / The Youngest Was the Most Loved / When Last I Spoke to Carol / Darling, I Hug a Pillow/ Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped

I know this setlist is not going to be something everyone will agree with but it's an example of what kind of setlist we could be having for what was being billed as a special tour.

I do have tickets to 2 shows and I know I will enjoy the show because I always do but I am definitely feeling real disappointment in what could have been vs. what will be.

The current guitarists cannot handle your selection of Smiths songs. They made a hash of HSIN. Still Ill or Big Mouth? There’s no way.

Yeah... MOZ's current backing band is the worst hes had in 40 years.
The guitarists are so mediocre and are limited by skill level.
They just don't have the skills to play MOZ and Smiths songs.

Without BOZ or even Alain... this current lineup is just an amateur cover band.

I am really disappointed with the setlist. If this was advertised as "Morrissey Live in Concert' I wouldn't be bothered. It would be what was expected but this was promoted with a poster listing everything he's ever done and it implies that this would be a tour that really covered his entire career.

I saw Moz live in December of 2022 and the Orlando show last night had 8 songs different than what I saw that night.
Hey, that’s not bad. Considering that we should all know by now, that he doesn’t change the setlists up that much.
Let's look at the breakdown of where the songs were from:

The Smiths: 0 songs
Hatful of Hollow: 2 songs (I'm counting HSIN since it was not on MIM in North America)
I thought HSIN was only on the US Sire issue not the UK.
Meat is Murder: 0 songs
The Queen is Dead: 0 songs
Strangeways Here We Come: 2 songs
Louder Than Bombs: 1
Viva Hate: 2
Bona Drag: 0
Kill Uncle: 2 (Will count The Loop here as its best fit)
Your Arsenal: 1 (The best fit for Jack The Ripper)
Vauxhall & I: 1
Maladjusted: 1
You Are The Quarry: 2
Ringleader Of The Tormentors: 0
Years Of Refusal: 0
World Peace Is None Of Your Business: 0
Low In High School: 1
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain: 1
Bonfire Of Teenagers: 1
Without Music The World Dies: 2

This is a poor representation for a tour advertised as "40 Years Of".

I understand that he can't play everything and he isn't going to play more than 19 songs and he isn't going to play a lot of really long songs but here are some easy swaps that would have made this a great show.

Half a Person: I Want The One I Can't Have
The Loop: Bigmouth Strikes Again
Our Frank: The Last of The Famous International Playboys
Alma Matters: Maladjusted or Trouble Loves Me or Now My Heart Is Full
Let Me Kiss You: Come Back To Camden
Girlfriend In A Coma: Still Ill or Hand In Glove
Notre-Dame: The Youngest Was the Most Loved or You Have Killed Me or I Will See You in Far Off Places
I Wish You Lonely: When Last I Spoke To Carol
Jack The Ripper: Tomorrow
Irish Blood, English Heart: Lost
Everyday Is Like Sunday: Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference
How Soon is Now?: There is a Light That Never Goes Out

I know he would like to play some of the unreleased songs so I left in 2 of those.
I tried to put together a set of songs that feels comprehensive and has a good mix of singles and songs the average fan would want to hear plus some album tracks and some b-sides to give something like this.

Still Ill / Please Please Please... / I Want The One I Can't Have/ Bigmouth Strikes Again / There is a Light... / Stop Me if You Think... / Suedehead / The Last of The Famous.. / Such a Little Thing.. / Tomorrow / Speedway / Maladjusted / Lost/ Come Back to Camden / The Youngest Was the Most Loved / When Last I Spoke to Carol / Darling, I Hug a Pillow/ Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped

I know this setlist is not going to be something everyone will agree with but it's an example of what kind of setlist we could be having for what was being billed as a special tour.

I do have tickets to 2 shows and I know I will enjoy the show because I always do but I am definitely feeling real disappointment in what could have been vs. what will be.

Agree. Would love to hear some of the songs you mentioned.

I really don’t think he reads solo. Fans should vote for a setlist change by using their wallets. Then, maybe he’d take notice and make changes when people are no longer buying tickets.

Don’t know why anons are complaining about the band, played the songs fine in the videos posted. Whatever.

The guitarists are so mediocre and are limited by skill level.
They just don't have the skills to play MOZ and Smiths songs.

Without BOZ or even Alain... this current lineup is just an amateur cover band.

Yeah, that’s what some folks thought of the Lads on the KU tour. I guess Morrissey doesn’t mind having a ‘amateur cover band’. Lol.

Yeah, that’s what some folks thought of the Lads on the KU tour. I guess Morrissey doesn’t mind having a ‘amateur cover band’. Lol.

Even Alain admitted that they weren't very good when they first started. But, they worked their tails off and immensely improved within a year's time.

Even Alain admitted that they weren't very good when they first started. But, they worked their tails off and immensely improved within a year's time.

Yes, agree.

But then let’s give Morrissey’s recent band a years time of touring and record an album, and then folks can chime in all they want.

The Lads never toured with a major artist before MOZ.
jesse and that butch girl have... so there should be no excuse for sounding so amateur.
they just lack guitar skills.

Also just look at the output song wise Alain and Boz contributed to MOZ's catalogue with classic songs and albums.
jesse has been with MOZ 20 years and hes come nowhere close to writing anything as good as Alain and BOZ.
Why else would MOZ reach out to Alain to write songs again?

The lads where true artistic musicians that could play and create guitar riffs and songs. It may have took them a minute to become comfortable playing in bigger venues on tour but the band chemistry was always there. There is no denying that Alain and BOZ know how to play guitar and write songs.

People need to stop making excuses for this current mediocre lineup.... they have played these songs over and over already and they have played for other major artist before and played in bigger venues.
Hell.. the way stage sound production and technology is today makes it much easier to hear and replicate studio effects on stage than in the 90's... there is no excuse.
If they aren't tight as a band now... then they never will be.
HSIN has never sounded so amateurish.
jesse and the butch just don't have the skills.... they suck when it comes to playing MOZ/Smiths tunes!

Back
Top Bottom