Morrissey Central "40 YEARS AGO" (May 17, 2023)

Handin.gif

The Smiths official FB as per 'On This Day' thread on the actual day of release:

Regards,
FWD.

It’s not like any other single, this one is different because our lives would never be the same again. It’s hard to imagine how our lives would have been without the Smiths and Morrissey. Such a beautiful day.

Viva Morrissey! Viva The Smiths (all of them)! Wonderful music that will live forever! Helps you grow as a person as well - the beauty of what you're listening to and the 'life experience' passed to you in the tales the lyrics tell. It's just shy of 30 years since I discovered Morrissey.

Morrissey - Vocals
Alain Whyte - Guitars & Backing Vocals
Boz Boorer - Guitar
Gary Day - Bas Guitar & Double Bass
Spencer Cobrin - Drums ;)
No idea why people are so keen on Cobrin being part of the line up when almost every other drummer Morrissey has had has been better than him. Boz also, love him to bits, his heart didn't seem to be in it years before he resigned.

Viva Morrissey! Viva The Smiths (all of them)! Wonderful music that will live forever! Helps you grow as a person as well - the beauty of what you're listening to and the 'life experience' passed to you in the tales the lyrics tell. It's just shy of 30 years since I discovered Morrissey.
Must be near 30 years for me as well... kinda scary how time flies!

No idea why people are so keen on Cobrin being part of the line up when almost every other drummer Morrissey has had has been better than him. Boz also, love him to bits, his heart didn't seem to be in it years before he resigned.
He is probably the only one Moz would never take back...

It was 40 years ago today...or on the 13th May at least. Moz Central is late, as usual.
Controversial I know but - I have never much liked that song. I don't strongly dislike it either. I get that as a first single and all that it's definitely ear catching (and eye catching, cover art speaking). But I've just never much cared for it as a single. Much prefer This Charming Man and What Difference.
The fact that it was 40 years ago is slightly scary. Time...

Boz is a tremendous talent, and has a had a very long career in professional music since he was a teenager. Without Boz, Morrissey would not have had the level of success he did post-1991 or whatever the date actually is. Even when he was unhappy at the end, he was still performing at a peak level musically and paying the bills. I miss him.

Obviously, Spencer is one of the original Morrissey Band members, that's why all the love. It used to annoy me too (for the same reasons as you - drumming ability), but it's fine. He seems like a super nice person - they probably loved having their buddy around. He also played on more Band albums (besides Matt Walker) than anyone - and they were really good albums. Drums are not Spencer's passion (his words more or less), music in general is.

Why are all of his “socials” using such a low-quality, pixelated image?
IMG_8953.jpeg

As much as I love Alan; I've a sneaky suspicion that the band currently being put together will be the most impressive of the Moz solo career. Here's hoping.

That was a brave cover 40 years ago. 30 years ago it would have been perfectly acceptable. 20 years ago too. And 10 years ago. Nowadays you'd upset some association for arse protection - 'the benign buttocks of Blighty' and all posters would be ripped down and burned.

doing anything for 40 years is an achievment,it is a real testament that he is still going,still touring still making albums,long may it continue.i think music was much more important all those years ago,everything was exciting,the greed is good has taken over the music industry and shows no signs of changing anytime soon.

in the,how many days since calculator it is 14,615 days.
wonder if my time machine is still up the loft.

An important song for sure as it was their first single... but never been on my Smiths' top list. I thought it was one he hasn't done as a solo artist, but he's played it 31 times (currently #151 on the list).
Yes, I thought that too. 31 times is a surprise. I do think it is one of those songs that sounds much better live. The song has glimpses of the greatness to come, rather than being great itself. Live it sounds much better than the studio version...

Not nearly as momentous, but I also like this remembrance:
From a unique compelling review back in the day, by a MSolo member
"my favourite Smiths song is 'I Don't Owe You Anything'. No other song EVER captures my youth, my teenage frustration and exhilaration's like this one does. In our teenage years, my friends and I seemed to forever prowling the streets, doing nothing, going nowhere....just being. We'd walk the frozen pavements lit by the orange streetlamps, ill-dressed for the plummeting temperatures but uncaring. What were looking for? Where were we going? Was some great revelation about to be disclosed to us? Who knew?

When my musical cohort Griff and I formed ~Sighrens~, one of the first lyrics Griff wrote was called 'The Last Of The Lights' which dealt with this very subject. In 'I Don't Owe You Anything' Morrissey is out on his own streets and his words resonated deep within me. "Bought on stolen wine// A nod was the first step// You knew very well what was coming next"; well maybe not stolen wine, but certainly underage purchased Merrydown Cider! "And did I really walk all this way// Just to hear you say// Oh, I don't want to go out tonight..."

This is where it get's me...all those nights, walking to friends or a girl's house just to be casually knocked back...."...Oh but you will// For you must", and it's that tremor in Morrissey's voice on the word 'must' that does it! He knows that this is a time in which EVERY night is important, every night is an adventure, every night will be recalled and spoken of as the dulling grey of adulthood descends. In your mid/late teens EVERY night is SO important....OF COURSE they are going to come out with you....for they must!! "Too freely from your lips// Words prematurely sad"....more tear stained poetry far, far beyond his contemporaries, "You should not go to them// Let them come to you// Just like I do...", sage advice Steven, that way you don't look like an idiot and face constant rejection, I wasn't just listening, I was learning..."
Scroll down twice - https://thestreetlampdoesntcast.blogspot.com/2010/07/kitten-wine9-everybody-wants-to-be-joe.html

KISS MY SHADES

:cool:

a love song like no other

“Angie had just passed her driving test and her parents had loaned her this little VW Beetle that we used to sort of hang out in. I said, ‘Get me round to Mozzer’s!’ Cos he’s got a tape machine. So we got in the car like I was going to have a baby, you know?
Marr then sits like a child on his seat, cradling the birth of his new riff, “So I’m in the car, trying not to change this riff – cos you just change stuff, you know? So all the way though this 20-minute ride to Mozzer’s, I’m playing the riff.

“Angie always leaves me to it when I’m in that nutty headspace, but maybe because it was boring for her… she said ‘Make it sound like Iggy!’ She loves Iggy Pop. So I just took that Nile Rodgers thing and just played Iggy Pop chords. She said, ‘Yeah that’s cool!’ And I was like, Oh really!” Angie, The Smiths have a lot to thank you for.

So it’s a Sunday evening, we get to Morrissey’s house. I prayed that it was the one night of the year that he didn’t leave the house! He opened the door and I’m stood there with this guitar. He said ‘What’s happened?’ I said, ‘Check this out!’

“He knew me pretty well by this point, so he said OK, went and got this little tape machine. I was on the stairs in his hallway and I started putting it down. As I was putting it down, I thought, this song needs another bit – ‘Rebel Rebel’!”

And that became ‘Hand In Glove’, which was the best Smiths song at that point, I think. We were rehearsing, either the next day or the day after, and I showed Mike and Andy. I said, check this bit out. Andy, who’d played with me since being 14, goes ‘I’m sure that’s ‘Rebel Rebel’”

-Johnny Marr

The guitar riff came out kinda cool, but them guys musta
been trippin' out when they heard Moz's words.
They knew they were for really onto somethin' different.

Moz should have replicated the cover artwork to mark the anniversary.

I only posted that exact line up because it harkens back to a sense of unity and damn good material. I can do without Boz also.

We don't need a second guitar but if we have to then Craig Gannon can step up. Spencer can be replaced by Woodie Taylor.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom