Anthony Bourdain namechecks Morrissey in Season 3 premiere of "Parts Unknown"

I love Anthony Bourdain, where as Morrissey makes me feel bad about my need to eat animals occasionally* :o
"T-dog" does just the opposite :thumb:

*=do I still eat animals? yes, however, here in China it is much easier to eat meals that have either little or no meat in them
its one of the best things about Asia in general :guitar:

You're such an expert on him, yet you're unaware of his support for foi gras?

Yes, force-feeding geese--absolutely not animal torture.

Chicago tried to outlaw foi gras. Bourdain personally lent support to the opposition.

He supports animal torture. It's inarguable.

Look buddy, it was torture for your mom to give birth to you. Life is full of suffering for most living creatures. Unnecessary torture seems meaningless, without purpose. But not all suffering is without a payoff for someone/something. You are obviously a hypersensitive animal lover with an emotional based paradigm EBP. The poor animals. Well, what about the poor rabbit that was ripped apart by the wolf? What are you going to do about that? You can't regulate nature--the natural world--try as you might. Humans have been eating animals from the beginning and will continue to do so long after you are dead. Reality check.

You are a dictator. You want to control everyone and everything. You are the poster boy for shaming, regulation, outlawing, boycotting, and basically telling everyone else what they cannot and should not eat. I am very aware of Bourdain's position on foie gras. He is a libertarian. He supports the freedom to eat what you want. And the freedom for chefs to prepare the food they want to prepare. He supports and educates the public about sustainable food practices as do most chefs these days. Eat local when you can. Eat sustainable seafood when you can.

Look, if it is legal, then it can be eaten. You don't want to eat foie gras, then don't eat it.

We're still waiting for the faintest sign that you possess any of these things.

You sound seriously butthurt--literally. Ouch!

Last edited:
Bourdain was a working chef (not cook) for decades. Went to the CIA. Is a skilled writer. And a brilliant TV personality. You seem to think he is shit yet watch his show and read his books. I am confused.

Come on, even he refers to himself as a cook. As for his writing, I read two of his books, that's how I know his writing is not very good. If I had not read his books, how would I be able to come to that conclusion? I'm guessing you discovered one of his shows before any of his writings. If so, maybe the person is influencing your opinion of the writing? I happen to think his writing sucks. He definitely is not a "skilled" writer. Don DeLillo is a "skilled" writer. Bourdain ain't no DeLillo.

While I wouldnt call him a brilliant TV personality, I enjoy the show, for the most part and I like to see where he travels. That's why I watch it. Although, I thought A Cooks Tour was his best show by far. You have to admit he is a bit of a poseur and that he has taken his persona almost to the point of caricature.

Is it ok if I continue to watch his show???? (Keep in mind this last part is tounge in cheek)

Come on, even he refers to himself as a cook. As for his writing, I read two of his books, that's how I know his writing is not very good. If I had not read his books, how would I be able to come to that conclusion? I'm guessing you discovered one of his shows before any of his writings. If so, maybe the person is influencing your opinion of the writing? I happen to think his writing sucks. He definitely is not a "skilled" writer. Don DeLillo is a "skilled" writer. Bourdain ain't no DeLillo.

While I wouldnt call him a brilliant TV personality, I enjoy the show, for the most part and I like to see where he travels. That's why I watch it. Although, I thought A Cooks Tour was his best show by far. You have to admit he is a bit of a poseur and that he has taken his persona almost to the point of caricature.

Is it ok if I continue to watch his show???? (Keep in mind this last part is tounge in cheek)

He refers to himself as a cook for two reasons. First, he is no longer a chef. The definition of a chef is a person who runs (manages a kitchen). Home cooks are not chefs for that very reason, even if they have culinary degrees. One can have a law degree but if one is not practicing law one is not a lawyer. Second reason is that he is constantly reminded how his cooking skills pale in comparison to the masters he encounters on his travels. He figures, compared to these guys, he is just a cook. A little self-deprecation. He knows when he is in the company of true culinary artists/businesspersons. Humility.

I did see A Cook's Tour before reading five of his books—which I own, btw. And yes, I already liked him before reading KC, the first book of his I read. Now if we are talking Jane Austen or Hitchens or DeLilio (not familiar with his work but I trust your judgement), then Bourdain is not a master at the craft, in that way. However, effective writing is NOT just about perfect sentence structure and vocabulary. It is about engaging the reader. The ability to tell a story that connects with the reader—makes them think, and feel, and laugh. Bourdain does just that. So, in my opinion, he is a skilled writer.

He even admits he has become a bit of a caricature—especially when he goes on the speaking tours to support his book releases—spouting the same thing over and over again. It has become a shtick. He knows this. He is self-aware. So I don't see him as a poseur. I don't think he is trying to be something other than what he is. He is an original. Love him or hate him, there is no one else in pop culture today that both appeals to the foodie populist masses and intellectuals. Chefs love him. Foodies love him. TV bums love him. Writers love him. I love him. :p

Yes, you can continue to watch Parts Unknown. I'd be mistaken to suggest otherwise.

Look buddy, it was torture for your mom to give birth to you. Life is full of suffering for most living creatures. Unnecessary torture seems meaningless, without purpose. But not all suffering is without a payoff for someone/something. You are obviously a hypersensitive animal lover with an emotional based paradigm EBP. The poor animals. Well, what about the poor rabbit that was ripped apart by the wolf? What are you going to do about that? You can't regulate nature--the natural world--try as you might. Humans have been eating animals from the beginning and will continue to do so long after you are dead. Reality check.

You are a dictator. You want to control everyone and everything. You are the poster boy for shaming, regulation, outlawing, boycotting, and basically telling everyone else what they cannot and should not eat. I am very aware of Bourdain's position on foie gras. He is a libertarian. He supports the freedom to eat what you want. ---

Look, if it is legal, then it can be eaten. You don't want to eat foie gras, then don't eat it.

Wow, what a disappointment.

"Life is full of suffering anyway!" "Stop being emotional!" "Wolves eat meat too!" "It's still legal!" "Humans have always eaten meat!"

I thought you were better than this, realitybites. These are just childish justifications for funding an immoral industry, and you know it. You wouldn't use such poor arguments for anything else, e.g. slavery. You could be honest about it; you're way too intelligent for this shit. Don't drop the ball this way, it's painful to watch. If you want to laugh at the above arguments, take a look at this: https://www.facebook.com/vegansidekick/photos_stream (It's really awesome.)

Sometimes you make a lot of sense, and then you sort of lose the quality for a while. You gotta stop doing that.

"Humans have been eating animals from the beginning" - This depends on how you define the beginning. "- and will continue to do so long after you are dead." Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure we'll stop eating animals and eat cultured animal products instead. It would make sense.

But this is really a conversation I'd like to get out of immediately. Thanks!

Wow, what a disappointment.

"Life is full of suffering anyway!" "Stop being emotional!" "Wolves eat meat too!" "It's still legal!" "Humans have always eaten meat!"

I thought you were better than this, realitybites.

Better? Better?? Makes me think of this song. Shall we have a sing along?

Let the shaming begin...

These are just childish justifications for funding an immoral industry, and you know it. You wouldn't use such poor arguments for anything else, e.g. slavery. You could be honest about it; you're way too intelligent for this shit. Don't drop the ball this way, it's painful to watch. If you want to laugh at the above arguments, take a look at this: https://www.facebook.com/vegansidekick/photos_stream (It's really awesome.)

Double shame with a slice of lime...

Sometimes you make a lot of sense, and then you sort of lose the quality for a while. You gotta stop doing that.

I always make sense until it is proven I am talking nonsense. See the colon fiasco, for example.

You have not convinced me James. Sorry.

"Humans have been eating animals from the beginning" - This depends on how you define the beginning. "

How's this, since the beginning of recorded history. We know it was going on way before then however. ;)

- and will continue to do so long after you are dead." Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure we'll stop eating animals and eat cultured animal products instead. It would make sense.

I don't think so. Unless we can genetically modify humans to not desire—crave—flesh.

But this is really a conversation I'd like to get out of immediately. Thanks!

Not true. You live and breathe to talk about this stuff. It is your passion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the shaming begin...

Double shame with a slice of lime...

I always make sense until it is proven I am talking nonsense. See the colon fiasco, for example.

You have not convinced me James. Sorry.

How's this, since the beginning of recorded history. We know it was going on way before then however. ;)

Not true. You live and breathe to talk about this stuff. It is your passion.

I have no idea why shaming is relevant here. I think that people should try to do the right thing. Even if they fail. Nothing shameful about that.

Well, I haven't seen you make sense in this particular conversation. Your arguments were not good. You must know it yourself.

(Anatomically, humans are herbivores. Biologically, we are omnivores, but that's a rather new thing. We became omnivorous when we came up with the ability to cook meat. Before that, we ate plants. But I don't think any of this is relevant here.)

Yes, this is my passion, in the sense that I don't really get much enjoyment from it, but it's just something that I feel I have to do. I want to help. It's like being Spider-Man. Except that I mostly hate it. I'm always much happier writing about things that don't matter at all. Things like Spider-Man.

I don't know how I always end up having these conversations with you. (Olli Brander, remember?) It's so tiring. What's the point? And why do I care? I don't know if you remember me, but I remember you and I sometimes think about you. I wonder who you are. What drives you? Sometimes you're insightful and great, then you're crude and sort of dumb. You're always intelligent, but sometimes you turn it down. Why do people come here? And who are the people who do? I have a feeling that all the regulars here are very lonely people. (And this is not an insult. There's nothing wrong with being lonely. I'm lonely.) This is a place where lonely people can come to pretend that they have a nice spot in a social hierarchy. A secure place for insecure souls. Maybe it's all about that.

I don't know. This place is ghosts. And I really should get out, for good. This isn't making me happy. I should be writing a book. Are you happy?

I have no idea why shaming is relevant here. I think that people should try to do the right thing. Even if they fail. Nothing shameful about that.

Well, I haven't seen you make sense in this particular conversation. Your arguments were not good. You must know it yourself.

(Anatomically, humans are herbivores. Biologically, we are omnivores, but that's a rather new thing. We became omnivorous when we came up with the ability to cook meat. Before that, we ate plants. But I don't think any of this is relevant here.)

No, we ate raw meat. Some of us still do.

Yes, this is my passion, in the sense that I don't really get much enjoyment from it, but it's just something that I feel I have to do. I want to help. It's like being Spider-Man. Except that I mostly hate it. I'm always much happier writing about things that don't matter at all. Things like Spider-Man.

I don't know how I always end up having these conversations with you. (Olli Brander, remember?)

Well, I avoided getting into the whole debate this time around. I was just posting in this thread as I am a fan of Bourdain. You found me and struck up a conversation.

Yes, of course I remember you. :)

It's so tiring. What's the point? And why do I care? I don't know if you remember me, but I remember you and I sometimes think about you. I wonder who you are. What drives you? Sometimes you're insightful and great, then you're crude and sort of dumb. You're always intelligent, but sometimes you turn it down.

Thanks. I try not to dumb it down. I can be crude and obnoxious however--like the best, I mean worst, of them. If I write intelligently the plebs throw fits, have you not noticed? They are quiet today. But any bit of confidence on my part is seen as pretense. I try to look at the source and thus dismiss their objections on the grounds that they are ignoramuses. But I CAN come off as arrogant. I am sure you can relate.

Why do people come here? And who are the people who do? I have a feeling that all the regulars here are very lonely people. (And this is not an insult. There's nothing wrong with being lonely. I'm lonely.) This is a place where lonely people can come to pretend that they have a nice spot in a social hierarchy. A secure place for insecure souls. Maybe it's all about that.

I come here for the stimulation. I enjoy thinking and writing and yes, arguing. (Can we really call this debate?) I am not lonely. I have lots of other outlets for that. But I like the banter. The variety. And even the oddball misfits you run into here. I think people are fascinating. It is a sociological goldmine here.

I don't know. This place is ghosts. And I really should get out, for good. This isn't making me happy. I should be writing a book. Are you happy?

It does smell of death around here, I'll give you that. I do recommend getting out while you can. Before your name is etched on the wall as a lifetime member. I am happy, yes. I have the usual life stressors. But I am the happiest I have been in years. Are you happy?

Last edited:
No, we ate raw meat. Some of us still do.

Makes no difference to me really.

But I CAN come off as arrogant. I am sure you can relate.

Yes.

I come here for the stimulation. I enjoy thinking and writing and yes, arguing. (Can we really call this debate?) I am not lonely. I have lots of other outlets for that. But I like the banter. The variety. And even the oddball misfits you run into here. I think people are fascination. It is a sociological goldmine here.

Okay. It's just that the regulars seem to spend a lot of time here. (Maybe most people spend a lot of time on the internet nowadays, so maybe this doesn't mean anything.) I think that it's kind of horrible. But I guess it depends on how you look at all this. I do have a love/hate relationship with this place. I usually perversely love people I hate.

It does smell of death around here, I'll give you that. I do recommend getting out while you can. Before your name is etched on the wall as a lifetime member. I am happy, yes. I have the usual life stressors. But I am the happiest I have been in years. Are you happy?

Sometimes I'm happy. Mostly not. The main reason is that I keep doing things that make me unhappy. Knowingly. This MorrisseySolo thing is one of those things. I should be making myself famous. That makes me happy, only Satan knows why. I will go away now, and I will try to stay away. (Goodbye! And good luck with, well, whatever you do.)

Last edited:
23 I's.

Okay. It's just that the regulars seem to spend a lot of time here. (Maybe most people spend a lot of time on the internet nowadays, so maybe this doesn't mean anything.) I think that it's kind of horrible. But I guess it depends on how you look at all this. I do have a love/hate relationship with this place.

If I were 19 and spent this much time on the Internet, I would be concerned. At your age, you should be out socializing, travelling, engaging in sports, dancing, going to school. Are you in school? My son is close to your age and he is never online. He has an iPhone so he uses Instagram and Snapchat. But he never posts on message boards or even Facebook. It is different at my age. Plus I am introverted. I don't want to physically be around people more than I have to. The Internet is a huge playground. The ultimate tool for a curious, inquisitive, knowledge obsessed mind.

I usually perversely love people I hate.

You love the people you hate? Makes me think of my stalkers. They are obsessed with me. They act like they hate me. But why do they (Pet Troll and CG) spend so much time thinking about me--following me around the forums, scrutinizing everything I say? They seem completely incapable of introspection. Unable to see that they are my pets. My puppy dogs. They go where I go. It is really odd. Is that what you mean? You are obsessed with the people you feel hatred towards? At least you aren't harassing anyone.

Sometimes I'm happy. Mostly not. The main reason is that I keep doing things that make me unhappy. Knowingly. This MorrisseySolo thing is one of those things. I should be making myself famous. That makes me happy, only Satan knows why. I will go away now, and I will try to stay away. (Goodbye! And good luck with, well, whatever you do.)

Make yourself famous! Satan? Do you believe in Satan? Maybe you will be back. :)

Btw, are you the author/artist of Vegan Sidekick?

Last edited:
Unbelievable. Better than television.

Back
Top Bottom