Brett Anderson interview mentions The Smiths (Idler magazine)

Tom Hodgkinson: So who would you say were your top bands of the 1980s?

Brett Anderson: Well, The Smiths obviously, I know you don’t need anyone else blathering on about The Smiths, but they were very influential. They were our role models in lots of ways, in the way we went about writing and their attitude. Their non-conformist attitude, but also their pop sensibility. They were not avant-garde.

TH: We all had Smiths posters as students.

BA: Did we, though? I’m not sure – I mean, I totally did – I was a Smiths fan at university in 1985 and I remember feeling like an oddball. The hall of residence I was in wasn’t decked with “Boy with the Thorn in his Side” posters. Me and my mate were the only guys that liked The Smiths. They’re one of those bands that have become bigger since they split up. Part of the beauty of The Smiths was that it didn’t feel mainstream. It felt like one’s own little club, like their brilliant B-sides were a gift in exchange for your loyalty. A kind of “Thank you for being part of our little gang”. That’s something that I really wanted to do with Suede. Especially in the early days, B-sides were very important to us. It was about creating a little cult, a group that people can identify with and want to be part of. I always wanted to polarise people’s opinion, to be hated and loved in equal measures. I never just wanted to be quite liked. There was something rather dull about being quite liked.

This is an extract from a longer interview which appears in Idler 64. To buy a copy, click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blue Hour was one of the best albums of last year, the equal of or perhaps even better than the early Suede classics. It always seemed to me that musically First of the Gang was totally based on Trash.

Ganglord was based on film star and the demo for This World Is Full Of Crashing Bores is pure suede rip off.

The number of rabidly passionate (or passionately rabid) Suede fans here will have you believe that this is a Suede fan forum.

Last edited:
Lots of positive comments on Suede's music here. They're a band, for one reason or another, I haven't really listened to... but from the glowing reviews here, I think it's time I did.

What would be a good starter album? (Yes, I still like to listen to an album, a complete work, in sequence... rather than a playlist).

The number of rabidly passionate (or passionately rabid) Suede fans here will have you believe that this is a Suede fan forum.

But then Moz himself is more of a fan than he would ever let on.

We kind of agreed brett is still carrying on the spirit of the smiths music, in his own way. Brett and suede makes great intelligent pop records. Moz love him and all hasn't said anything intelligent since 2008 and hasn't really done a good lp (good songs yes) since Ringleader.
The shame of Moz is he's lazy he knows he has a die hard fan base and knows he can release any old shite. He knows he has a great voice so just falls back on that rather than write good words.
It's shocking as he is a clever talented man and he is spunking it away..
The real reason Suedes records piss over Mozzers later stuff is suede are a tight band of friends who share a sense of things. They are English and make records for an intelligent European mindset.
Moz has a backing band of hired hands scared to say no.
Plus Mozzers band just aren't that good Jesse is terrible.
Add to that Mozzer is watering it all down to appeal to not very clever, damaged yanks and broken English speaking South Americans. So you can see why his music is pretty bad these days.

I think Mozzer is a better pop star than brett. I mean Moz is the best pop star icon since bowie. Moz is still, even at 60 or whatever, more an important cultural icon and is a natural poet. his autobiography is better than Brett's as well.
Brett's book is like a student essay

Lots of positive comments on Suede's music here. They're a band, for one reason or another, I haven't really listened to... but from the glowing reviews here, I think it's time I did.

What would be a good starter album? (Yes, I still like to listen to an album, a complete work, in sequence... rather than a playlist).

Yes well suede are a great great band. The Blue Hour and Blood Sports wipes the floor with any Moz lp since quarry.
Suede are much better live as well from quarry onwards Moz has been pretty bored and static on stage.Brett has loads of energy and the band sound great live. People can argue all they want on this site but in the real world....

Also brett from 40 onwards looks much better than Moz did at that age. Moz was fat and grey by the time he was the age brett is now

That's a tougher call now that Suede reformed and are making very good new music. Many may disagree but I suggest starting with Bloodsports, Night Thoughts and then The Blue Hour (latest one). In other words, focusing on where they are now rather than starting in 1993 with their debut album. Then of course if you like the current stuff go back and start with the debut album, through their '90s work. Anyway, that's my .02.

EDIT: On further thought, yeah, you probably should start with the debut album, then Dog Man Star and Coming Up. Basically what @ACTON suggested.

Last edited:

Well, for me, in a way the 2 are somewhat linked. Morrissey used to champion Suede as one of his favorite new bands. The first Suede song I heard was Morrissey's cover of My Insatiable One live on the Your Arsenal tour. Unfortunately, Brett and Morrissey had some kind of falling out and then Morrissey started slagging him and Suede off.

You don't anything about music if you truly believe this nonsense.

I would recommend the debut album titled Suede. Followed by album 2 which was Dog Man Star. Album 3 was Coming Up. Then I'd skip albums 4 and 5 and go to album 6 'Bloodsports', then 7 'Night Thoughts' and 8 'The Blue Hour. However, the bsides album 'Sci-fi Lullabies' is amazing so you could go there after album 3.

Well, for me, in a way the 2 are somewhat linked. Morrissey used to champion Suede as one of his favorite new bands. The first Suede song I heard was Morrissey's cover of My Insatiable One live on the Your Arsenal tour. Unfortunately, Brett and Morrissey had some kind of falling out and then Morrissey started slagging him and Suede off.
Totally agree. I don't see a discussion about Suede as too tangential to Morrissey. Besides, we are only replying to a front page story about a Brett Anderson interview. If people don't want to read about Suede they can skip that story thread. The thing I love about Moz Solo is that it can often go off in other somewhat related directions that usually converge again into the world of Moz.

That's a tougher call now that Suede reformed and are making very good new music. Many may disagree but I suggest starting with Bloodsports, Night Thoughts and then The Blue Hour (latest one). In other words, focusing on where they are now rather than starting in 1993 with their debut album. Then of course if you like the current stuff go back and start with the debut album, through their '90s work. Anyway, that's my .02.

EDIT: On further thought, yeah, you probably should start with the debut album, then Dog Man Star and Coming Up. Basically what @ACTON suggested.
Well I was gonna agree with you because I was torn between the two. Personally I'd listen to the last 3 rather than the first three, but thats because I had years to digest the old albums, and to me the last 3 are relatively new and fresh. So I found it hard to answer really.

You don't anything about music if you truly believe this nonsense.
Your half written/half witted comment is redundant as you are basically saying nothing. A jellyfish would type a more coherent comment.

Suede and Pulp were the best 90s bands in The Smiths footsteps, than Blur and Oasis.

Sci-Fi Lullabies, the first album, may actually be my fave, closely followed by DMS and the debut.

Well I was gonna agree with you because I was torn between the two. Personally I'd listen to the last 3 rather than the first three, but thats because I had years to digest the old albums, and to me the last 3 are relatively new and fresh. So I found it hard to answer really.

It's honestly a tough call. I had a friend who would always start with a band's latest album and then if he liked it, go back and listen to the earlier stuff. So I was coming it at from that angle (and of course b/c the new stuff is quite good).

New direction ?

I listened to LIG, and it just sounded like Suede to me. Which is great if that’s what you want.

People won’t agree with me, but at least Morrissey is making an effort to not be the Morrissey he was in the Smiths or repeat his early solo work (lyrical and music styles).
Think it’s a tough spot and a courageous move to move forward with the knowledge that one might lose fans along the way. In regards to new directions I mean.

Ketamine Sun, LIG is the most accessible song on the new album, but certainly not the strongest one. Try Cold Hands or Flytipping. If that doesn't blow you away, I don't know what will. But apart from that, the strength of the last two Suede-albums lies in the way they work as a whole, the journey they take you on, more so than the separate songs.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s even a Morrissey fan forum. :lbf::straightface:

Though I don’t mind people defending and liking Suede, at least they have made better records than Marr’s solo efforts.

IMHO of course.

:cool:

Thanks Action and SuedeMoz... I'll start at the very beginning so.
IF you end up liking Suede Brett Anderson also has a few solo albums which are quite good. His 'song for my father' is so autobiographical I don't know how he is able to sing it. Heartbreaking song.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom