Can't Miss London

PregnantForTheLastTime

Hideous trait.
A "friend" asked me what I'd see if I were going to London. Really, it's a friend. The last time I was there was over twenty years ago and I hadn't had any thoughts of going back. I was aiming for Paris.

So what's in London that someone who is already from a huge American city should not miss? That is, not shopping. Not restaurants. And they don't want to spend the entire time in museums like I would do.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wait, he wants a big city experience that does not involve shopping or restaurants or museums? Maybe he should spend some time in the country. :rolleyes:

This is not only one of my favorite places in London, it's one of my favorite places on the planet (but it's a house museum):

http://www.soane.org/

He should visit the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew and see the magnificent Victorian glasshouses - that does not involve shopping or eating or being in a museum, either.

Off the top of my head:

West End show. Pubs. Galleries/exhibitions. Gigs. British comedy show. Football (soccer) match. Brick Lane. The parks. Postcode gangwars

The new Phantom show I suppose. Or the original, which is still probably the best thing on the West End. :blushing:

Not shopping? I don't understand.

Not shopping? I don't understand.

The couple who are going to London live in Chicago, in a very cool, vibrant neighborhood. There is nothing in London you couldn't buy in Chicago, except perhaps "London" tshirts.

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't actually know these people at all, they are a friend's friends, but I'll pass these things along. Maybe one of you knows of great bars or places to hear live music? I think that's more their speed.

When I was in London, we went to Carnaby Street, but it was all tourist shops and booths selling Indian printed scarves. Is Notting Hill still (or was it ever) a good place to wander around?

The couple who are going to London live in Chicago, in a very cool, vibrant neighborhood. There is nothing in London you couldn't buy in Chicago, except perhaps "London" tshirts.

Oh, well, then if they're used to Wicker Park or Lincoln Square it's a wonder they can manage to tear themselves away from it. :lbf:

how about
http://www.mandir.org/

mandirsnow_3f.jpg

Off the top of my head:

West End show. Pubs. Galleries/exhibitions. Gigs. British comedy show. Football (soccer) match. Brick Lane. The parks. Postcode gangwars

youve never actually lived there have you? golders green would be good

stop rattling on about what you could have done,and admit what and who you are.post modern idiot.

pervs r us

Re: London

National theatre is usually a good choice, sometimes they have seats for £10

Also go for a walk round covent garden at the weekend

the monument to the great fire of london is a really good thing to see/do. its well worth the trek up it for the fab views, and the newly redone gilt topper.
http://www.themonument.info/

and Tower bridge is worth a visit, they often have exhibitions in the top walkway, its a great experience whether your interested in the exhibition or not. just avoid the lifts.. :rolleyes:

(just realised i've recommended two HIGH things to do, ha! i'm REALLY scared of heights, yet I LOVED both, even when I was clinging to the tower wall of the monument rather than step out to edge of balcony! :blushing:)

Wait, he wants a big city experience that does not involve shopping or restaurants or museums? Maybe he should spend some time in the country. :rolleyes:

This is not only one of my favorite places in London, it's one of my favorite places on the planet (but it's a house museum):

http://www.soane.org/

He should visit the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew and see the magnificent Victorian glasshouses - that does not involve shopping or eating or being in a museum, either.

Nice advice

If you want cheap sightseeing you could go to Hammersmith and take bus number 11 to Liverpool Street Station, it goes by a lot of places (Trafalgar square for example) and it's much, much cheaper then taking a sightseeing bus.

If you want cheap sightseeing you could go to Hammersmith and take bus number 11 to Liverpool Street Station, it goes by a lot of places (Trafalgar square for example) and it's much, much cheaper then taking a sightseeing bus.

Very good advice! :thumb:

If you get off Monument Station, you can either cross London Bridge (then catch RV1 bus) or catch No.47 bus to Tower Bridge.

Last edited:
Very good advice! :thumb:

If you get off Monument Station, you can either cross London Bridge (then catch RV1 bus) or catch No.47 bus to Tower Bridge.

:thumb: And while you're there you could go to Borough Market, they have a lot of really good food and you could also see the pub The Globe which is the house where Bridget Jones lives in Bridget Jones - The Edge of Reason.

Back
Top Bottom