Does anyone treat Morrissey as their God? Literally?

It certainly seemed like some strange cult at the stage in Sheffield last friday. All those outstretched hands, me included. It was almost too much for me again. Now I'm a committed atheist but if Jesus could make me feel like Moz does I'd be the most zealous evangelist under the sun!

That is EXACTLY what made me think of this question. At the Albert Hall .. everyone reaching out .. like praise and worship .. singing out lines like "hold me in your arms and love me" .. etc.. Trying to touch him

it certainly felt and seemed like an idolistic worship session .. as well as a great gig.

Not even close.

He's a deeply-flawed individual who writes great songs, good songs, okay songs and bad songs.

He's perceptive, witty, intelligent, courageous and just plain fascinating.

But he can also be a bit of an arse sometimes.

In terms of his artistic output, there is nobody creating anything even remotely similar. There is no almost-Morrissey who you can turn to for comfort when the man himself has thrown a sicky.

A complete one-off.

He's more than we deserve.
This is very similar to what I was about to write.

Although, I do think I keep him in the religion part of my brain because I tend to look to him for comfort in the same way religious people look to their religion for comfort. But, no... I don't feel that he's Godlike in any way.

Back
Top Bottom