Earth Tremor - UK

Wow, anyone feel that?
I'm in Leeds, in Uni accommodation, and our entire building (5 floors) just shook for about six seconds...very very very very scary!

Wow, anyone feel that?
I'm in Leeds, in Uni accommodation, and our entire building (5 floors) just shook for about six seconds...very very very very scary!

Yep, felt it in East Yorkshire. Just dropping off to sleep when....:eek:

According to the Beeb, the epicentre is Manchester.

EDIT: It was in Lincolnshire. Friday's was the Manchester one.

Last edited:
Apparently it was actually Hull. Here in Leicester it was pretty scary, I thought a plane had landed on the house or something...

Argh, I was walking around my room heard a strange noise and then stuff fell off my shelves, mental I live on the third floor of a house and thought the roof was about to cave in. The epicentre was in Hull, so I guess the North will have felt it a bit more.

Wow, anyone feel that?

You students should be in bed!

I'm also near Leeds and the earth moved..for one night at least.
Twas quite scary i agree.
x

Twas from Hull with love, i blame Kingmaker.

Haha. Well now all of you have a small taste of what it's like to live in California. All you need now are mullets and crack cocaine and you're there. :cool:

You students should be in bed!

I'm also near Leeds and the earth moved..for one night at least.
Twas quite scary i agree.
x

Students are always in bed :)

Haha. Well now all of you have a small taste of what it's like to live in California. All you need now are mullets and crack cocaine and you're there. :cool:

Fair point.
That said we have masses of chavs and heroin.
Earth tremors are quite refreshing in comparison, makes you more aware of ole' mother earth.

These West Yorkshire people, whereabouts are you from?

Apparently it was actually Hull. Here in Leicester it was pretty scary, I thought a plane had landed on the house or something...

Yeah, sorry I hadn't realised there'd been one in Manchester last Friday, so I thought that was the one that had just happened. Then my internet conked out and I couldn't come back and correct the mistake. The epicentre of the new one is Market Rasen in Lincolnshire, about 30 miles from Hull. Scale 4.7 or 5.1, depending who you ask.

Earthquake felt across parts of England

Hopefully everyone is ok!

=====================

By ROB HARRIS, Associated Press Writer 20 minutes ago

MANCHESTER, England - An earthquake struck Britain early Wednesday and was felt across large parts of the country. Police reported some minor damage to homes but no injuries.

The British Geological Survey said it was a 5.3-magnitude quake but the U.S. Geological Survey earlier put the magnitude at 4.7. The tembor struck at about 1 a.m. and was centered about 125 miles north of London.

"It was scary," David Somerset told The Associated Press by telephone from Driffield, around 60 miles from the epicenter. He was working on the computer at the time.

"It was a strange sensation as the room, ornaments and chest of drawers started wobbling and making a loud rumbling noise," he said.

Many other people in southern, central and northern England reported feeling their homes shaken by the earthquake in a country where such tremors are uncommon.

Lincolnshire police said they had received dozens of phone calls about the temblor and that some minor damage to homes had been reported.

"This is a moderate earthquake," Rafael Abreu of the U.S. Geological Survey told Sky News from the United States.

He described the tremor as a shallow interplate earthquake, and said his U.S.-based group would likely adopt the 5.3-magnitude rating from his British counterparts.

The epicenter was reported to be in Market Rasen in Licolnshire, a small market town known for its racecourse.

"I was in bed at the time and suddenly there was quite a big bang and shaking that woke us up," said Laura Bocock, who lives close to Market Rasen in northeast England. "It sounded like someone had hit the bungalow and (I) was quite frightened.

"I couldn't get back to sleep because I was scared it could happen again."

The North West Ambulance service said its crews had also reported feeling the quake but had received "no actual calls from the public," said a spokeswoman, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with the service's policy.

John Jenkin of Bourne said the jolt knocked objects from the shelves of his home.

"I was woken up. It was hell," he said.

A woman in Notting Hill, a wealthy section of London, reported that her radio was bumping up and down on a shelf for several seconds.

A quake of magnitude 5 is capable of causing considerable damage. Britain is hit annually with up to 200 quakes but only 10 percent are strong enough to be felt

Re: Earthquake felt across parts of England

Hey unless Moz was injured this should be in off topic.

:guitar:

:p

I felt it for about 6-7 seconds here in Driffield. I'm about 35 miles away from Hull. I reckon it was God's punishment for all the frinking that goes on around here :D

Back
Top Bottom