Fretsore Records / YouTube: Dana Gillespie - Spent The Day In Bed (Official video)

This is sort of a paradox, but one aspect of the young Morrissey being "troubled" is that he had certain hang-ups and repulsions regarding sex. So even if the cock-rockers and their groupies were "troubled" too, Morrissey was troubled in the opposite direction and occupied a pretty lonely position. He disliked artists who bragged about sex or made sex appeal part of their act. I think this is part of what draws us to Morrissey. Deliver us from 2 Live Crew and Samantha Fox.
That is true, although it would seem clear from many of his lyrics that he did have at least several sexual experiences as a young man, and he wasn't married or in a stable, monogamous relationship. Does that count as 'sleeping around'? Is 'sleeping around' more than 1 sexual experience? More than 10?
I think Morrissey criticises pop stars who use sex to hide the fact that they have absolutely no talent. But I don't think he would ever judge someone for 'sleeping around'. Whatever that means. Moz was a fan of 70s feminism. If women have fought for anything in the past century it is for the right to make autonomous decisions about sex and reproduction, rather than having those decisions made for them. In many parts of the world they are still fighting for that right.
Dana seems to have turned out ok. More power to her.

I remember buying a couple of very serious books about celibacy in the mid 80s, because Morrissey kept mentioning it in interviews. It seemed like such an interesting lifestyle choice! (And absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I was a hideous, acne-ridden teenager...)

That is true, although it would seem clear from many of his lyrics that he did have at least several sexual experiences as a young man, and he wasn't married or in a stable, monogamous relationship. Does that count as 'sleeping around'? Is 'sleeping around' more than 1 sexual experience? More than 10?
I think Morrissey criticises pop stars who use sex to hide the fact that they have absolutely no talent. But I don't think he would ever judge someone for 'sleeping around'. Whatever that means. Moz was a fan of 70s feminism. If women have fought for anything in the past century it is for the right to make autonomous decisions about sex and reproduction, rather than having those decisions made for them. In many parts of the world they are still fighting for that right.
Dana seems to have turned out ok. More power to her.

I remember buying a couple of very serious books about celibacy in the mid 80s, because Morrissey kept mentioning it in interviews. It seemed like such an interesting lifestyle choice! (And absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I was a hideous, acne-ridden teenager...)

Yes he talked about being ‘celibate’. What is it to be truly celibate? With all those lyrics that can be interpreted as sexually charged? hmmm. So what’s worse, or just as worse…sleeping around in physical reality or sleeping around only in the mind?

Makes me think of this …

“Two Buddhist monks, a senior and a junior, were walking through the forest. They came across a river flowing through their path. To continue their journey, they had to swim through the river and cross to the other side.

There was a woman who was sitting at the bank of the river. She did not know how to swim and requested the monks to carry her to the other side.

Buddhist monks take a vow of celibacy. They are not supposed to even look at women, let alone carry them. The junior monk politely refused. But the senior monk put the woman on his back, swam across the river, and dropped her safely to the other side – without saying a word.

The junior monk was aghast that the older monk had broken his vow but did not say anything. An hour passed as they traveled on. Then two hours. Then three. Finally, the agitated junior monk could stand it no longer, and asked, “Why did you carry that woman when we took a vow as monks not to touch women?”

The senior monk smiled, and said, “Brother, I dropped the woman on the bank of the river a long time ago. However, it seems that you are still carrying her around in your head.”

Ok, I think this is maybe a Generation thing? Why do people care, if one person "is sleeping around" and yeah, what does that even mean? More than one or sleeping with people while being not in a relationship with them? If it's not your friend or a family member and you are specifically worried for them because of specific circumstances, why does anybody care at all? Maybe some people just enjoy sex or don't take it that seriously? There are thousands of possibilities, why a person acts like they act, and they don't have to be troubled nor are they a danger to society. I personally couldn't care less, because if its not for me, I simply don't do it in my own life. Live and let live.

Ok, I think this is maybe a Generation thing? Why do people care, if one person "is sleeping around" and yeah, what does that even mean? More than one or sleeping with people while being not in a relationship with them? If it's not your friend or a family member and you are specifically worried for them because of specific circumstances, why does anybody care at all? Maybe some people just enjoy sex or don't take it that seriously? There are thousands of possibilities, why a person acts like they act, and they don't have to be troubled nor are they a danger to society. I personally couldn't care less, because if its not for me, I simply don't do it in my own life. Live and let live.

I don't want to be an apologist for so-called "slut shaming." And I don't know, numerically, how many partners one needs to qualify as promiscuous. Still, I understand the impulse to bemoan certain human behaviors. I know it's not rational. Rationally, we should probably live and let live. But when I see spring break footage on TV of half-naked college kids dancing to EDM on a beach with red solo cups and screaming "woo-hoo!," I get revolted. It's not envy, either. It's genuine disgust. I guess I must just have the puritan instinct in me. And I think this is why Morrissey (specifically, 80s Morrissey) appealed to me in part when I was young. He wasn't a prude, but he was (supposedly) celibate and a bit of a scold. So I don't think a casual criticism of sex-positivity on a Morrissey forum is completely out of place, even if Morrissey himself has moved on and gotten more comfortable about sex.

Pete Doherty thinks the best line in Still Ill is the "England is mine" bit, but I think it's "does the body rule the mind or ... "

I don't want to be an apologist for so-called "slut shaming." And I don't know, numerically, how many partners one needs to qualify as promiscuous. Still, I understand the impulse to bemoan certain human behaviors. I know it's not rational. Rationally, we should probably live and let live. But when I see spring break footage on TV of half-naked college kids dancing to EDM on a beach with red solo cups and screaming "woo-hoo!," I get revolted. It's not envy, either. It's genuine disgust. I guess I must just have the puritan instinct in me. And I think this is why Morrissey (specifically, 80s Morrissey) appealed to me in part when I was young. He wasn't a prude, but he was (supposedly) celibate and a bit of a scold. So I don't think a casual criticism of sex-positivity on a Morrissey forum is completely out of place, even if Morrissey himself has moved on and gotten more comfortable about sex.

Pete Doherty thinks the best line in Still Ill is the "England is mine" bit, but I think it's "does the body rule the mind or ... "
I can't help but feel that you are talking about something else in your post - which is, not wanting to be part of the crowd, part of the herd. I would imagine that is a sentiment that many Smiths and Moz fans can identify with. Not sure what that has to do though with condemning people for 'sleeping around'?
And the lyric you quote, of course, is a question, to which the answer given is - I dunno. Moz's lyrics are absolutely full of sex. But I think it's good that he has always conveyed the idea that engaging in sex should be a choice. And never just to fit in or be seen as 'cool' by your social group. That's got to be a healthy message for anyone in life.

I can't help but feel that you are talking about something else in your post - which is, not wanting to be part of the crowd, part of the herd. I would imagine that is a sentiment that many Smiths and Moz fans can identify with. Not sure what that has to do though with condemning people for 'sleeping around'?

It's one thing to opt out of the crowd. Many people do that and get on with their life. What I liked about Morrissey was that he not only opted out, but that he heaped a lot of criticism on the crowd. He held grudges. I admire that; it shows principle. He obviously didn't criticize anyone specifically for sleeping around, but I think it was implicit in his critique of the braggadocio and breasts-in-your-face aesthetic of pop music. And he notoriously kept hating on Jim Morrison, who was the early icon of that whole goofy "Dionysian rock god" thing.

It really is a slippery slope. You can take a libertarian attitude towards sex, sure, but that's naturally going to result in sex culture, with sex talk and sex music becoming ubiquitous to the point of oppressive. Some of us just can't take it. I remember around the same time as the Smiths, here in the states we had to endure the popularity of Dr. Ruth Westheimer, a radio sexologist who everyone thought was the cutest thing because she was this little Jewish grandmother taking calls about dildos. I couldn't stand her. Or the "shock jock" bros. The Smiths were a great tonic against all that, not just for the music but because Morrissey was so vocal and incisive in his critique of pop culture.

And the lyric you quote, of course, is a question, to which the answer given is - I dunno. Moz's lyrics are absolutely full of sex.

Of course. I like that his lyrics are full of sex. I also like that they're conflicted about it, not celebratory.

The way I see it is that the song title and some of the lyrics are about spending the day in bed.

But to me, the rest of the song (and the main message) is about rejecting conventional notions of society - living life on your own terms, having your own views (whether or not they are considered correct or 'legal' by others), and spending time in a way you see fit.... opting out of the humdrum/mundane..... systemic media/government/advertisement/workplace/corporate brainwashing (all the things designed to keep us in our place).....

Again, he reassures me that it's okay to be an outsider and to create one's own counter-reality outside of what others expect of you.... and ultimately that you can (and should) be kind to yourself despite your relatively short life's trials and tribulations (and also in spite of how the world tells us we should all feel - which is usually depressed, anxious, inadequate and frightened)

Spending the day in bed is just one way you can turn away from all of the world's negativity. In Reel Around The Fountain, when he says take me to the haven of your bed, do you think he means just take me to your bed? To me, that describes the bed as a refuge from the horrors of existence - where life can be lived and experienced differently. I see it as linking into certain other romantic notions. And it's something that can obviously be done outside of the bed, by living defiantly (if you so choose)

If you just want to hear 'Spent The Day In Bed', that's up to you.... (you can please yourself) :)

Well, sure. But did it not occur to anybody involved to have the lady lying in a bed for the video? I mean. Her being in a bed might not reinforce nor negate the song's meaning, but the hook is "spent the day in bed", not "spent the day on a couch."

I'd rather no lying down at all than the near miss happening on screen.

It's one thing to opt out of the crowd. Many people do that and get on with their life. What I liked about Morrissey was that he not only opted out, but that he heaped a lot of criticism on the crowd. He held grudges. I admire that; it shows principle. He obviously didn't criticize anyone specifically for sleeping around, but I think it was implicit in his critique of the braggadocio and breasts-in-your-face aesthetic of pop music. And he notoriously kept hating on Jim Morrison, who was the early icon of that whole goofy "Dionysian rock god" thing.

It really is a slippery slope. You can take a libertarian attitude towards sex, sure, but that's naturally going to result in sex culture, with sex talk and sex music becoming ubiquitous to the point of oppressive. Some of us just can't take it. I remember around the same time as the Smiths, here in the states we had to endure the popularity of Dr. Ruth Westheimer, a radio sexologist who everyone thought was the cutest thing because she was this little Jewish grandmother taking calls about dildos. I couldn't stand her. Or the "shock jock" bros. The Smiths were a great tonic against all that, not just for the music but because Morrissey was so vocal and incisive in his critique of pop culture.

Of course. I like that his lyrics are full of sex. I also like that they're conflicted about it, not celebratory.

:p

Well, sure. But did it not occur to anybody involved to have the lady lying in a bed for the video? I mean. Her being in a bed might not reinforce nor negate the song's meaning, but the hook is "spent the day in bed", not "spent the day on a couch."

I'd rather no lying down at all than the near miss happening on screen.

The hook is also not "spent the day in a wheelchair", or "spent the day lounging on - and then falling off - a chair" - yet that is exactly what Morrissey does in his video.

I am happy it's/he's getting some well deserved attention but she can't sing. It's more like talking. It's pretty cringe, I'm not going to lie.

It seems, from what I've read, that she's famous for sleeping around with rock stars and producing more albums than anyone could ever produce in a lifetime. Unless they are sub-standard that is. Sounds like she slept her way into her records being produced rather than anything else. I appreciate talent when I see it, even if it isn't for me. But this is not it.

Each to their own, though. She's clearly having fun and not hurting anyone so long may she continue for those who do listen to her.
You're the one who goes to concerts with you mom, aren't you? Read that back to her and see the shock and disappointment in her eyes. And try and think for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom