Gary Lineker, Tory Muckraker

goinghome

you must not tamper with arrangements
I think he should be treated the same as certain other world renowned artists. And don’t mention the tax dodging as that’s fine.

Entirely hypocritical of the bbc, but not surprising

Clear they're acting on it because of pressure from (Tory) MPs - There's a long list of situations they've not leaped on when it's targeted at other parties in the past. It's a depressing state of affairs how low the BBC has been dragged by these tory knobs

it takes thousands of licence fees to pay linekers wages for one year.hes an asshole of the highest order and i personally hope he gets punted.

Gary Lineker is paid to be impartial... Fact.
Nobody else in the UK has the right to free speech any longer.Fact.

People like GL have a simple choice...
Do your job and collect £1.3 million a year from US, the licence payer ..
Or go to another another channel and say what he dam well wants to.

There was nothing "out of order" about his Tweet and it was posted to his personal account, he wasn't representing the Beeb at the time.
What a f***-up by the BBC.

I agree 🙄
This is now a very complicated
Situation... with many, many points of view to be heard.
I don’t think that any one point could ever be right here.

Now that the prime minister is involved, I can only imagine that this story will probably bring the axe down on a few people.

There was nothing "out of order" about his Tweet and it was posted to his personal account, he wasn't representing the Beeb at the time.
What a f***-up by the BBC.
I agree. I personally don't agree with what he said but I will defend his right to say it.

I agree. I personally don't agree with what he said but I will defend his right to say it.

That's not the issue, though. He has the right to say it.

The backlash against the BBC's decision to suspend him isn't a fight for free speech. In fact, it’s the opposite. It's just another attempt by the liberal elites to turn the BBC into a platform for them to spread their beliefs and "correct" thinking.

All the same people who think it was a-okay to cancel JK Rowling for saying that a person with a penis is a man are now outraged at the beeb's decision to suspend Lineker for essentially comparing the government and half the UK population (who agree with the proposed legislation) to Nazi Germany. Think about it.

A relative of mine married one of the Leicester Linekers (a cousin of Gary's father, I believe) and whenever there is talk in the family about the time when little Gary was a neighbour living in the same street, all that can be said is how normal and unremarkable his family were. I think that is the point about Gary, that for all his millions and dodgy tax history, he seems like a regular, middle-of-the-road bloke, much more so than our politicians in general. He has in the past expressed similar frustrations as Morrissey has, being sick of Labour and Tories, and I think that is becoming a more commonly-held view nowadays. I do think, though, that if the BBC is going to have rules, they should be made clearly understood and there should be consequences for any breaches.

All the same people who think it was a-okay to cancel JK Rowling for saying that a person with a penis is a man are now outraged at the beeb's decision to suspend Lineker for essentially comparing the government and half the UK population (who agree with the proposed legislation) to Nazi Germany. Think about it.
But here's the thing - people like JK Rowling and Lineker were/are typical BBC liberal elites themselves. Long-standing progressive, left-leaning voices, until it was decided that they had stepped out of line on one issue or the other. They were cast out by their own 'team'. That's why I can understand why people say that it's not about left or right anymore. People who were once on the left are now being torn to pieces as transphobes etc etc and people who were traditionally on the right are the ones saying "hey, this is f***ing madness". The absolute absurdity of cancel culture is actually bringing people together because it feels like nobody, on any level, is 'liberal' enough now.

But here's the thing - people like JK Rowling and Lineker were/are typical BBC liberal elites themselves. Long-standing progressive, left-leaning voices, until it was decided that they had stepped out of line on one issue or the other. They were cast out by their own 'team'. That's why I can understand why people say that it's not about left or right anymore. People who were once on the left are now being torn to pieces as transphobes etc etc and people who were traditionally on the right are the ones saying "hey, this is f***ing madness". The absolute absurdity of cancel culture is actually bringing people together because it feels like nobody, on any level, is 'liberal' enough now.

But Lineker is not being cast out by his own team. On the contrary, there's a huge Lineker love-in going on at the moment, defending him, holding him up as some sort of free speech martyr and railing against the BBC. The same people weren't protesting the cancellation of JK Rowling. That's the whole issue. Lots of left leaning voices are for free speech ... when it's speech they agree with.

But Lineker is not being cast out by his own team. On the contrary, there's a huge Lineker love-in going on at the moment, defending him, holding him up as some sort of free speech martyr and railing against the BBC. The same people weren't protesting the cancellation of JK Rowling. That's the whole issue. Lots of left leaning voices are for free speech ... when it's speech they agree with.
Sadly true.

That's not the issue, though. He has the right to say it.

The backlash against the BBC's decision to suspend him isn't a fight for free speech. In fact, it’s the opposite. It's just another attempt by the liberal elites to turn the BBC into a platform for them to spread their beliefs and "correct" thinking.
That’s why I said I’ll defend his right to say it even if I don’t agree with him.

Correct and this happens on the Right too. ‘How dare you sack Conservatives for free speech’ cannot also be ‘sack Lineker for his appalling comment.’

Personally I don’t know why they don’t sack him just for being a giant knob LOL

Tags
gary lineker
Back
Top Bottom