Home is a Question Mark should've been a single

Comparing single charts from 2004--2006 to the current charts is not useful, because in those days they were measured by bought physical singles, which meant that fanbase acts like Manic Street Preachers, Pet Shop Boys, Morrissey, U2 and many others entered high and then dropped like a stone next week without the general public rarely even hearing them. Nowadays streaming is where it's at, which means that the charts move very slowly and contain almost completely young acts aimed for the young listeners. There are no contemporaries of Morrissey in the chart and neither are there any guitar-based acts, so it's completely impossible for Morrissey to get a Top 40 hit these days.

I couldn’t give a flying f***. It’s a shit song. Next.

But you said, on page 1, "The reason Morrissey doesn’t chart anymore is cos’ his output over the last decade has been shite. It’s as simple as that."

His output has been f***ing great! That's not just my opinion btw. Just look at all of those beautiful facts on page 2! :)

A:"I think the song's shite. Here's some evidence."

B:"Here's some evidence on the contrary."

A"I don't give a flying f*** about your evidence!"

Hmmm...

"Next"? Like we're going to keep presenting you with evidence now that we know you'll just disregard it...
I don't much like Spent either to be honest, but I can acknowledge that it was quite popular.

Unless Morrissey records the theme tune for the next Marvel extravaganza with Drake and Rihanna, he's never going to get a decent single chart placing ever again. So while I personally think Home Is A ? is a highlight from LIHS, chart-wise it doesn't matter one bit which single he picks from an album. Spent The Day In Bed was the best possible choice, because it got airplay and some positive attention -- which of course Morrissey blew to smithereens with his questionable views, but that's who he is nowadays.

But you said, on page 1, "The reason Morrissey doesn’t chart anymore is cos’ his output over the last decade has been shite. It’s as simple as that."

His output has been f***ing great! That's not just my opinion btw. Just look at all of those beautiful facts on page 2! :)

Right, you like his recent stuff, and I don’t. We good now?

A:"I think the song's shite. Here's some evidence."

B:"Here's some evidence on the contrary."

A"I don't give a flying f*** about your evidence!"

Hmmm...

"Next"? Like we're going to keep presenting you with evidence now that we know you'll just disregard it...
I don't much like Spent either to be honest, but I can acknowledge that it was quite popular.

Popular with who? Cos’ a cluster of super fans bought 600 copies each and it topped the vinyl chart.
It’s a wank song, end of.

Popular on streaming services.
It’s up there with his most popular songs.
In live shows it’s also greeted with a loud cheer :)

Popular with who? Cos’ a cluster of super fans bought 600 copies each and it topped the vinyl chart.
It’s a wank song, end of.

It was a big airplay hit in the UK. The country's biggest station played it to death, as did the indie stations. His best known song since First of the Gang. The music listening public know it. That's a fact I'm afraid whether you like it or not - nothing to do with super-fans. Personally, I quite like the first bit and the middle eight, but I think the bus/boss ending is rubbish and almost ruins the song. It's clearly not a great song but it's OK and, sadly, is pretty much as a good a late-period Morrissey song as we're likely to hear.

Can anyone honestly say Spent is a good song? Or is it just slightly less worse than the single that preceded it. That’s how I judge his recent stuff, not by how good it is, but by how much less shit is it than the previous one. And being less shit doesn’t make it good, it just makes it less shit!
sorry for sounding unfunny, but stdib is a very good song. i listened to it many many times, not just on the train, and remember these moments with great delight. i've adopted it as sporadic company, and i'm happy that it was and still is here whenever i want to listen to it. i dont know what your problem is, or if you have got one, but maybe you are still waiting for this one new song by morrissey that is going to make you feel the way you felt when you were 20 years younger?

sorry for sounding unfunny, but stdib is a very good song. i listened to it many many times, not just on the train, and remember these moments with great delight. i've adopted it as sporadic company, and i'm happy that it was and still is here whenever i want to listen to it. i dont know what your problem is, or if you have got one, but maybe you are still waiting for this one new song by morrissey that is going to make you feel the way you felt when you were 20 years younger?

I’m glad you like it.

That’s your criteria for a good song? You listened to it many times and it’s always here when you want to listen to it?

Huey Lewis and Duran Duran are always here when you want to listen to them too and a lot of people have listened to their songs. Doesn’t mean they are good.

At a guess, he hadn’t heard of Morrissey back then.

I LOVE the lyrics on this song:

'I’ve seen many shores
I hug the land, but nothing more
Because I haven’t met you'

'I’ve brushed and I’ve rubbed
Pressing palms and exuding charms
But never in arms
And that’s why
Home is a question mark
Home is some place I dunno
Home is a question mark
Home is some place I dunno'

'Home, is it just a word
Or is it something you, carry within you
I’m happy just to be here
If I ever find home
If I ever find home
If I ever find home
If I get there, would you meet me
Wrap your legs around my face just to greet me
If I ever get there, would you meet me
If I ever get there, do you really think I will
Do you really think I will
How many times I’ve saved myself'

These all in particular resonate with me, the 'wrap your legs around my face' is typical Morrissey, juxtaposing the plaintive message of a lovelorn life with the ridiculous imagery of someone actually wrapping their legs around your face. it's supposed to be silly and I think it's actually quite clever. And the voice is just to die for. The last stanza is beautiful, perfect.

I LOVE the lyrics on this song:

'I’ve seen many shores
I hug the land, but nothing more
Because I haven’t met you'

'I’ve brushed and I’ve rubbed
Pressing palms and exuding charms
But never in arms
And that’s why
Home is a question mark
Home is some place I dunno
Home is a question mark
Home is some place I dunno'

'Home, is it just a word
Or is it something you, carry within you
I’m happy just to be here
If I ever find home
If I ever find home
If I ever find home
If I get there, would you meet me
If I ever get there, would you meet me
If I ever get there, do you really think I will
How many times I’ve saved myself'

These all in particular resonate with me, the 'wrap your legs around my face' is typical Morrissey, juxtaposing the plaintive message of a lovelorn life with the ridiculous imagery of someone actually wrapping their legs around your face. it's supposed to be silly and I think it's actually quite clever. And the voice is just to die for. The last stanza is beautiful, perfect.
I also think the lyrics is him admitting to never have found a home or feeling at home somewhere. I know a lot of people who moved around like mad but always ended up avoiding being in their home. I don't think I'd label them happy and they were all restless souls.

One woman in particular would go for a long ride instead of the nearest way home in her car when she had been to visit someone and was returning home. She even took her car to certain areas to look at other peoples homes and houses in general just to see what their life was like or dream about living there herself.

Another woman avoided home by working overtime driving her boss to tears cause her overtime was a threat to his company insurance should anything happen to her when working late. Then she went home and fried some bacon and fell asleep in front of the tv sleeping in her work overall.

I've always made myself feel at home where I lived but the energy and creativity it takes for people who at all cost avoid being at home must take a lot from them. If I know Moz I bet he would say that the only home we have is death or something like that just like he once stated that being alone was a way to prepare for death.

Only been able to talk to one spirit and it seemed a lonely existence without any hope but maybe that is only for the souls that somehow hesitate to walk into the light cause they see it but avoid it.

It's not so much that you sound "unfunny" because you're unintentionally hilarious.

Spent the Day in Bed - Official Video - 2,867,016 views

Spent the Day in Bed - Official Lyric Video - 1,489,535 views

Spent the Day in Bed - Later with Jools Holland - 478,498 views

That’s your criteria for a good song? You listened to it many times and it’s always here when you want to listen to it?

Huey Lewis and Duran Duran are always here when you want to listen to them too and a lot of people have listened to their songs. Doesn’t mean they are good.

You should reread the post, because you seem to have missed the point quite pathetically. Lanterns listened to the song many times "and remember(s) these moments with great delight". That means lanterns likes the song (the bit you seem to have missed) and therefore, should want to listen to it multiple times. If you like a song, you might be thankful that it's easily accessible.
I'm fairly certain that lanterns wasn't trying to prove that it's a good song, just say that they like it.

Back
Top Bottom