how "boy happy" could be a better song...

Suzanne

Lord these words i beg of you
As I'm tied down to my bed
Because my ass soon will be red...

I just want to...I want to have the boy slap me
With me in chains and cast iron
is that too much to ask?

Sorry. i don't know why Moz chose to sing that song on Kimmel when there are better cuts off that album!

I wish he sang In the Future When Alls Well a little more.
Boy happy is just...well...I like it. I really enjoy ROTT. It really connects with the place where he wrote it...and for it to radiate that means that it was well-put, written for the right reasons with the right observations etc...however, in order to convert more people to Morrisseyism, Boy Happy is not the right choice....Jimmy Kimmel was a nice oportunity to inform more people of who/what Morrissey is/stands for..and I feel that with Boy Happy..he didn't really show them his full capacity...now if he did You Have Killed Me....that would have been a different story...

Lord these words i beg of you
As I'm tied down to my bed
Because my ass soon will be red...

I just want to...I want to have the boy slap me
With me in chains and cast iron
is that too much to ask?

Sorry. i don't know why Moz chose to sing that song on Kimmel when there are better cuts off that album!

He chose it because it's the last (and most recent) single off the album.

It could be a better song if it had more of a melody, I don't mean to be harsh...

Also, it's a bit hard to connect to. What is it about?

haha, i totally agree. its not one of my favorites by far, and i was a little disappointed that he sang that one as well. i was telling everyone "omg, watch kimmel on friday, morrissey is on!" i told my parents to watch it, and the next day my dad goes, "yeah..i saw that guy on tv last night. he wasnt good at all. he couldnt sing. he wouldnt be getting my money, grumble grumble..."

haha, not that I expected them to like it. i was like "but thats not his best song!!!" oh well. its okay. i dont expect anyone else to understand, haha.

It could be a better song if it had more of a melody, I don't mean to be harsh...

Also, it's a bit hard to connect to. What is it about?

I don't know. All i can figure is that Moz has a message for whoever this "boy" is and he's going to sing the song because it makes him happy to sing it even if not very many people are going to say "hey that's a catchy tune!" afterwards.

haha, i totally agree. its not one of my favorites by far, and i was a little disappointed that he sang that one as well. i was telling everyone "omg, watch kimmel on friday, morrissey is on!" i told my parents to watch it, and the next day my dad goes, "yeah..i saw that guy on tv last night. he wasnt good at all. he couldnt sing. he wouldnt be getting my money, grumble grumble..."

haha, not that I expected them to like it. i was like "but thats not his best song!!!" oh well. its okay. i dont expect anyone else to understand, haha.

Did your parents talk to my parents?

well, actually, i have no idea if they saw him on TV the other night because they saw him on Letterman a couple of years ago and they were a bit perplexed by the priest suit. They're looking at him through the lens of what he did just 5 minutes ago while I've got the entire back catalogue, so there really isn't any point in saying, "ok...listen to this!" because it just reeks of that moment in Willy Russell's book "the Wrong boy" when his mom finally decides to humor him and have a listen.

"yeah, but he just sang another song about crying and dying...."

I like the song for its Roxy Music vibe (especially live -- Mikey's keyboards bring that out), but I will concede that it's missing that 3rd dimension of oddness that most good Roxy tracks have.

I actually like Jesse's contributions (especially In the Future...), but they're quite linear -- too linear many would say.

Back
Top Bottom