If you could choose one song, would it be Solo or Smiths?

If you could only choose one song out of Morrissey's discography...

• I would choose one by The Smiths

Votes: 38 53.5%
  • I would choose one from Morrissey's solo career

Votes: 33 46.5%

• Total voters
I hate these sort of polls. I'm so undecided. But I think it has to be There Is A Light. Even the NME said it is probable the most beautiful piece of music every put to tape! Enough said!

id pick The National Front Disco i think, although there is a light comes a close second! :D

There is a Light....

tough decision...there's many, many, songs I "couldn't do without"...but my god...There is a Light is too beautiful to live without.

to much riding on this question. i change my mind all the time as to which song, solo or smiths is my all time favourite:eek:

Nice idea for a poll/thread.
Of the 232 (?) Smiths and Morrissey songs, I'll probably be giving 10s to 30-40 of them, roughly evenly split between Smiths and Morrissey.
However, 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side' stands head and shoulders above the rest...

This might be obvious, but you're not necessarily choosing what you think is Morrissey's greatest achievement in his discography.

While what you think is his masterwork probably jives with the one choice you'd make, it's conceivable that your absolute favourite of his songs might not be the one that you necessarily play the most. If you could only play one track on Repeat -- think of it that way.

"Well I wonder" from the brilliant "Meat is Murder" album. No competition.​

Every Day is Like Sunday.It is more commercial ofcourse and a more traditionally structured pop song but it still moves me to tears after all these years.

THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT.

sorry to sound like a broken record, but it honestly is my favorite song ever.

hard to say, to choose one song. iwent with Morrissey's solo career as iususally spend more time with than ido with the Smiths' catalogue. still, to try and pick one song is extremely difficult, if not impossible.

how can anyone say that Morrissey has done anything better in his solo career than "This Charming Man", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "Shoplifters Of The World Unite", etc.? theres juste no such thing as "better" than these, juste as theres no such thing as better than "Everyday Is Like Sunday", "Glamorous Glue" or "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get".

to then try and pick a favourite is a fool's errand. isomehow always come back to "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself", but icould juste as easily say "The Queen Is Dead". it is impossible.

I Know It's Over - it is, in my humble opinion, Morrissey's finest hour (just ahead of There Is A Light). He gives himself more on this song than in any other, and to think it was all done in one vocal take. The version on Rank probably eclipses the studio version. It is truly a masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom