How do you expect the Morrissey record-deal stalemate to end?

How do yyou expect the Morrissey record deal stalemate to end?

• Total voters
Lots of great posts here and good theories.

All I'll add is that Wilderness Era 2 is very different from Wilderness Era 1. Or different enough, anyhow. When a couple who has been together for a long time has their first break up, they usually get together again soon because they miss each other and wanna give it another go. The second break up though, well, usually that's a little harder to mend and rebound from, and so on each time until they just go their separate ways.

So saying that Morrissey is Morrissey and the other person is the music industry, or the fans...there you go. I think this time around there's simply less hope and less anticipation. People don't care as much and they'd rather find someone else.

I like him a lot and I'd love to hear another record but I think it's gonna be awhile. And I would be fine if it never involved Marr, although that would be awesome. However, I think that as things get uglier and thinner, we will see Johnny appear to intervene for his friend.

Where, when, and how...who knows.

he's waiting impatiently outside the major labels' windows but, in the meantime, they're waiting for some evidence that he's written at least a couple of great songs that won't have to rely (virtually) 100% on Radio 2 for airplay (as has been the case since First of the Gang was released).
I wonder how much airplay does he get in the US, since this and Latin America seem to be his main target markets... or maybe am I wrong?
He is definitely seen now as an indie artist - in the American sense, which is not deprecative or that "bleached of meaning" as he says and isn't incompatible by default with commercial success.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_independent_albums_(U.S)

So he either waits and waits to be rediscovered by a major label and in the meantime keeps releasing reissues (which makes sense as a promotion tool, making sure he's still on the market and he's talked about in the media) or he accepts a record deal from an indie label and manages to release his new album(s).
http://stereogum.com/910902/the-50-most-anticipated-albums-of-2012/franchises/listomania/

Lots of great posts here and good theories.

All I'll add is that Wilderness Era 2 is very different from Wilderness Era 1. Or different enough, anyhow. When a couple who has been together for a long time has their first break up, they usually get together again soon because they miss each other and wanna give it another go. The second break up though, well, usually that's a little harder to mend and rebound from, and so on each time until they just go their separate ways.

So saying that Morrissey is Morrissey and the other person is the music industry, or the fans...there you go. I think this time around there's simply less hope and less anticipation. People don't care as much and they'd rather find someone else.

I like him a lot and I'd love to hear another record but I think it's gonna be awhile. And I would be fine if it never involved Marr, although that would be awesome. However, I think that as things get uglier and thinner, we will see Johnny appear to intervene for his friend.

Where, when, and how...who knows.

I really like your analogy of the couple "taking some time off" as way to explain the possible Wilderness that might be facing Morrissey. I too, would love to see another album from him as well, but could do without some of the drama in the way of the onstage comments that are just so provocative for really no good reason. I can't see how that would help him, as far as selling albums goes or securing a new contract and management. IMHO, but I think he needs some good public relations people as well. I know Donnie Deutsch(A well know PR/crisis management personality here in the USA) is a proud Smiths fan, maybe he's available?!

BTW, Skylarker, as an aside, I like your "Peggy Olson" icon. I'm quite a big fan of "Mad Men" and am very much looking forward to the new season to start in just a few weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, I'd forgotten about this thread - thanks for resurrecting! I think some of Morrissey's recent comments suggest he's well aware that he could put out a new album on a small label, rather than that he can't put one out at all. However, he clearly remains very much opposed to doing so.
I think that to break the deadlock, there'll have to be a label that appears fairly large but actually isn't (enabling Morrissey to save face). Or the J Marr route when a bidding war will break out, and it'll be M&M who call the shots.
One other (perhaps relevant) development is that he's including fewer and fewer new songs in the set-list (I think, in fact, none has been played in the last couple of shows). Perhaps he finds it humiliating i.e. showcasing what may be the best bits of his new album and finding that major record companies still have little interest...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom