"I am an animal" - Nature Notes

Human life/animals/wildlife notwithstanding, this, likely caused by Russian Federation/Putin, could be the "worst ecological disaster since the Chornobyl".
Go to hell you Russian m/fkrs. Barbaric.

Dam breach could be Ukraine’s ‘worst ecological disaster since Chornobyl’
This is not true. The independent atomic energy commission reviewed available information and satellites have shown this attack coming from where Ukrainian forces were positioned - which is why in Germany Der Spiegel has already been forced to retract this false allegation.

Further to this, context is that Russia built this dam in the first place. And the reason they built this dam is because it exists to protect the nuclear. plant in case of emergency. Russia is protecting the plant and they are fighting for this territory and they needed this dam - they did not blow up their own dam.

Russia has zero track record in this conflict of bombing its own territory/people/assets and blaming Ukraine, while the opposite has been repeatedly proven to have been the case since day 1.

If you are genuinely interested in listening to some truly intelligent and informed discourse on the geopolitics and evolving military strategy being enacted in this region as events will continue to develop, you should drop the Guardian and seek out what Colonel Douglas Macgregor has to say. He’s been consistently providing the most informed commentary and most worthwhile insight since all of this began last year.

NATO is the greatest sponsor of terrorists, as has historically always been the case.

This however, is not the politics thread and I will not be adding anything else here.

Is feline leukemia virus a mix of cancer and infectious disease? Is a vaccine known to work? For the cancer or virus part? Do you sometimes think veterinary medicine is more advanced? The practice of it anyway? Your new neighbours might not own a cat after all. How old is yours? How unfortunate for both of you that it would catch that relatively rare illness. Lord save us!

It's just such a mix. From what I've learned, an FeLV vaccination is fairly effective for an uninfected cat. In one thing I read, it said that the exact percentage is guesswork, because it clusters in feral cat colonies, and those cases go unreported. That's why I'm not terribly bothered about my cat interacting with her former feral friends, which I know she sometimes does. She won't be a Typhoid Mary because those cats are very likely already infected. Mothers pass it on to their kittens, so it balloons out among untreated populations (from whence she came).

My neighbour died last year. She owned a cat who spent a lot of time near my pond. I used to worry it might injure a frog but actually I'm realising that since it was rehoused with someone else connected to the neighbour, my tadpole population is suffering and significantly down in numbers. I've seen robins and sparrows wading in there up to no good, beyond a dip, and rookeries nearby mean crows are circling in the airspace, surveying for possibly nefarious purposes. If I don't get a cat, I'll need to attach a net over the pond to stop birds decimating my little tadpole army (yes, army is the collective noun for frogs!) and breaking their good ole pop's heart.

Sorry about your neighbor. I'm glad her cat found a home. You should definitely get a cat to take care of your bird problem. Speaking of which, your anecdote reminds me of the notorious Tory MP Alan Clark, who some people like to compare Morrissey to—in terms of their shared vegetarianism, concern for animals, and (as the detractors see it) conservative politics. In a famous passage in his diary, Clark recounts his tear-stained anguish at having to kill a beautiful heron that was feasting on the fish he kept in the moat of his Scottish castle. "Yet if it had been a burglar or a vandal I wouldn't have given a toss. It's human beings that are the vermin." That's possibly more misanthropic than Morrissey.

Were you ever an active member of an animal rights organisation?

You're too generous, but no, I've never been an activist. I do give to animal charities, though (for what little good that does in the grand scheme of things).

This is not true. The independent atomic energy commission reviewed available information and satellites have shown this attack coming from where Ukrainian forces were positioned - which is why in Germany Der Spiegel has already been forced to retract this false allegation.

Further to this, context is that Russia built this dam in the first place. And the reason they built this dam is because it exists to protect the nuclear. plant in case of emergency. Russia is protecting the plant and they are fighting for this territory and they needed this dam - they did not blow up their own dam.

Russia has zero track record in this conflict of bombing its own territory/people/assets and blaming Ukraine, while the opposite has been repeatedly proven to have been the case since day 1.

If you are genuinely interested in listening to some truly intelligent and informed discourse on the geopolitics and evolving military strategy being enacted in this region as events will continue to develop, you should drop the Guardian and seek out what Colonel Douglas Macgregor has to say. He’s been consistently providing the most informed commentary and most worthwhile insight since all of this began last year.

NATO is the greatest sponsor of terrorists, as has historically always been the case.

This however, is not the politics thread and I will not be adding anything else here.
I'll read whatever news I like, thanks. It was a single article from one source; there are several others. Let's just leave it there.

I am starting to mini-panic. I am worried that this will be the first year since I bought this place and moved here that none of the does will decide to have any of their babies here again. This photo of this gorgeous angel below is from June 7th, last year. So already we’re a couple of days late, and no sign of newborn baby fawns yet, any morning when I wake up.

You can’t see from this photo because I took it from right in front of her little face, like 2 inches away from her, but she is extremely tiny. She was much tinier and much more delicate than my kitty, and I did have them side by side to one another for comparison. So i guess she was 2-4 days old here.

I have this one sun terrace in the back that is enclosed with floor to ceiling plate glass and sliding glass doors all the way around, and so you can’t really see too clearly here but the mothers drop off the babies every year right up against the glass to my house and leave them there alll day long. This is because mothers don’t stay near their babies when they’re very small, so as not to attract predators with their scent. The babies have no scent. So the mother just comes over to feed them a few times in a day. The rest of the time the babies are left alone by themselves, and they’re supposed to be camouflaging.

But anyway, then on the INSIDE of this glass, inside the house, is my little super naughty puss! So i used to call this room in my house the creche, or my baby day care business, because usually i had twins or triplets dropped off here, the prior years! It was only last year that I had just this little sweet baby girl all by herself. But anyway, literally the does would just come and dump their little bambi twins and their little newborn bambi triplets right on my stoop in front of this glass room and just leave them all hanging out with my kitty against this side of the glass for the whole day, all day, every day, and i have to be honest, the baby fawns every early summer here have been not only the highlight of living here, but the highlight of my life!

I love and adore my little baby newborn fawns so much I can’t even put into words, and running baby-fawn-slash-baby-kitty day care all day every day for these gorgeous newborns on my actual stoop for at least a week every year is EVERYTHING! ❤️❤️❤️. Then after that I still see them the whole summer.

It is also a FACT that the deer started dropping their brand new bambi babies off for me at my baby day care business after they saw my little baby puss all splayed out in this glass room all day every day, with his white-bunny-tummy facing the ceiling, in all his little baby podge-ness-ed kitten glory, like he doesn’t have a care in the world. Which he doesn’t - what ‘r’ ya gonna do!

Anyway the other reason i know the deer thought i have the hottest shit baby daycare in all the lands, is because one of them wanted to drop their baby newborn bambi twins off inside my glass room one time, to properly leave the babies inside the baby day care, with my baby puss! And the reason i know this also for a fact is because one of the deer walked up the couple of steps to my outdoor terrace, and went to the corner of the house where one of the glass panels to this room kind of meets the inner courtyard corner of the house, and the mother deer hoofed the glass door with her hind leg so hard in the bottom corner that she cracked my glass! Lol!

So then she just always left the babies outside after that, just up against the glass. But deer are very smart and i know she saw my fat baby puss in his glass room, and she saw how safe he was and how cutey-kitty-smug he was without a care in the world, and she clearly thought if it was good enough for that little baby to not get eaten by monsters, then it must surely be a safe and protected place that would be perfect to also hide her sweet little bambi babies from dangerous predators too!

And so my heart basically ever-after just beats these BIG, reverberating, huge RED cartoon LOVE HEARTS straight out of my chest all the time, and these are the reasons why. ❤️

View attachment 91823

this is amazing! Is this usual? have there been other reports? Didn’t know deer would think it safe to leave their young so close to a human’s house.

But you couldn’t go outside then without disturbing or scaring away the young deer?

Also I wonder if this is a good thing? Then they’ll grow up to trust humans(?)

this is amazing! Is this usual? have there been other reports? Didn’t know deer would think it safe to leave their young so close to a human’s house.

But you couldn’t go outside then without disturbing or scaring away the young deer?

Also I wonder if this is a good thing? Then they’ll grow up to trust humans(?)
Yes, it’s super amazing!

Last edited:
@A scanty bit of thing
I didn’t get a chance to reply yesterday. Anyway, yes amazing! I have encounters here too, sometimes the young deer come really close, they’re very curious and seem a little more trusting, until they get older and learn to know better. Those meetings are wonderful moments.

Aw thanks! :) They are sparrows.
That's got me off the hook. I promised to take a photo of sparrows round my way but when I stop to try, they take off 🙏

It's just such a mix. From what I've learned, an FeLV vaccination is fairly effective for an uninfected cat. In one thing I read, it said that the exact percentage is guesswork, because it clusters in feral cat colonies, and those cases go unreported. That's why I'm not terribly bothered about my cat interacting with her former feral friends, which I know she sometimes does. She won't be a Typhoid Mary because those cats are very likely already infected. Mothers pass it on to their kittens, so it balloons out among untreated populations (from whence she came).

Sorry about your neighbor. I'm glad her cat found a home. You should definitely get a cat to take care of your bird problem. Speaking of which, your anecdote reminds me of the notorious Tory MP Alan Clark, who some people like to compare Morrissey to—in terms of their shared vegetarianism, concern for animals, and (as the detractors see it) conservative politics. In a famous passage in his diary, Clark recounts his tear-stained anguish at having to kill a beautiful heron that was feasting on the fish he kept in the moat of his Scottish castle. "Yet if it had been a burglar or a vandal I wouldn't have given a toss. It's human beings that are the vermin." That's possibly more misanthropic than Morrissey. You're too generous, but no, I've never been an activist. I do give to animal charities, though (for what little good that does in the grand scheme of things).
Cats have nine lives, and let's hope it's so for yours! Curious is your advice to control my bird problem by getting a cat, as they then need to be restricted too or they may cause other extinctions! https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/p...arger-impact-on-wildlife-than-wild-predators/
How strike the intricate balance!

I didn't know Morrissey was compared to Alan Clark, who I know little about anyway. Funny story well told, reminding me that an artist friend of mine suggested I stop the pond bird invasion by finding a fake heron statue to place by the water to frighten off the birds. A solution that appeals to me: the gaudier the better! Fingers crossed new neighbours are not only cat-less, but also Morrissey fans! 👨‍🎤

This is from June 7th, last year.

The fawn is exquisite. The deer visits must feel like a blessing. I grew up in a town with a national park where herds of deer roam. Maybe because they had a lot of space, they did not get too near people, and mostly you'd see the babies close to their mothers, although often after being startled, when each would run to the other. But the parents never seemed farther away than within earshot? :love:

Leave well alone, surely, with such a beautiful enchanting set-up, vividly shared. Let us know when this year's fawns arrive 🖼️

Cats have nine lives, and let's hope it's so for yours! Curious is your advice to control my bird problem by getting a cat, as they then need to be restricted too or they may cause other extinctions! https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/p...arger-impact-on-wildlife-than-wild-predators/
How strike the intricate balance!

I don't really believe in "balance" because I think at this point the human effect on nature is so profound and destructive that nothing short of our decimation or extinction will restore any ecological balance to things. So I'm a nihilist there. I just love cats. They have such grace and savagery. I know conscientious people can look disapprovingly on them sometimes. Even my favorite environmentalist writer, Pentti Linkola, was an ornithologist who hated cats with a passion for their destructiveness, and he called them "the angel of death imported from Egypt."

Are you familiar with Linkola? If not, here are some excerpts of his musings on cats on a blog called the Order of ATWA which looks (inexplicably) devoted in part to thinking the Manson family was righteous. I don't follow the blog; I just Googled "pentti+linkola+cats" and it was the first result. There's a YouTube channel called Linkola Translations that has some nice documentary footage from Finnish tv of him, his musings, and his Luddite life. He was a firm believer in severe population reduction. Strangely, he begat children; I assume he came to his dire conclusions afterwards. Not a vegetarian, but he killed his own food and wasted nothing.

I don't really believe in "balance" because I think at this point the human effect on nature is so profound and destructive that nothing short of our decimation or extinction will restore any ecological balance to things. So I'm a nihilist there. I just love cats. They have such grace and savagery. I know conscientious people can look disapprovingly on them sometimes. Even my favorite environmentalist writer, Pentti Linkola, was an ornithologist who hated cats with a passion for their destructiveness, and he called them "the angel of death imported from Egypt."

Are you familiar with Linkola? If not, here are some excerpts of his musings on cats on a blog called the Order of ATWA which looks (inexplicably) devoted in part to thinking the Manson family was righteous. I don't follow the blog; I just Googled "pentti+linkola+cats" and it was the first result. There's a YouTube channel called Linkola Translations that has some nice documentary footage from Finnish tv of him, his musings, and his Luddite life. He was a firm believer in severe population reduction. Strangely, he begat children; I assume he came to his dire conclusions afterwards. Not a vegetarian, but he killed his own food and wasted nothing.
I don’t think it’s strange, he only had two children! There would be no problem if everyone only had 2 children

Back
Top Bottom