I hate the unchanging set list because...

I hate the unchanging set list because...

• I go to multiple gigs and it becomes tedious

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • I want something different for when he comes to MY town

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Even though I'm not seeing shows it just bugs me!

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • It doesn't bother me at all!

Votes: 32 45.7%

• Total voters
SG and Maladjusted both just been reissued.
Drop a couple of songs from current set and throw in a couple of the big singalongs from those records - say, Alma Matters, Trouble Loves Me, Boy Racer and hell, even Dagenham Dave! It would catch people offguard and would make such a good atmosphere.

Just a thought...

great point. "Best Friend on the Payroll" is a fun song live but it would be so easy for him to add in another SG song, as well as one from Maladjusted to at least try to promote the re-releases!

I agree that the problem with the setlist is in it being a given that this will more than likely form the basis of the whole tour, with a few titbits thrown in here and there but I don’t think it’s a bad thing and it certainly won’t stop or slow down the amount of times I see him.

I personally like it as it seems to be a document, or as he himself put it before the Bowery ‘a manifesto’, something that stands as time and place
and something that you either feel or fear he enjoys, as he gleefully reiterates ‘he sings what he wants to sing.

I was at the Stirling show on Monday and from what we got back in 2006, it was a dramatic and inspired improvement. He’s back to playing songs like ‘The Loop; Seasick, Yet Still Docked and has a reinvigorated and healthy outlook to salvaging integrity within Southpaw Grammar (not that he ever needed to).

It’s unfortunate that people get vexed because he seems confined within the same resistant and resolute way but is that now why we all love him because he was always right, because he was always there to comfort not criticise, to sing us to sleep or sing our lives (dependant on how you see the setlist).

I go to see Morrissey, not to hear the same songs night-after-night, although this does seem to have been prominent within the price of admission but because there is no one else like him. I still get the thrill of hearing those songs that have consoled, soothed and swooned me for so long, that moment before he comes on stage - to hear live music played and sang with such power; passion and conviction. I think you have to buy into the full package. If you are only buying into the negative aspects (and there are a lot), you are only focusing on what they say to you and not on everything he does.

I go because I like to see different places. I think where he plays and the places I get to visit are wonderful, from the twee, provincial hometowns to sunny climates; grandiose bus shelters and mass beer halls, I like them all. I like the different crowds, reactions to songs, the size, scale, the pre show, the after show, I think it’s crafted perfectly, whether that be to suit those who in Stirling erupting in forgotten youth to ‘How Soon is Now’, who sang along to You Are The Quarry as this is the only Morrissey album they own to the chilling stillness of ‘Seasick, Yet Still Docked’ to the rocking ‘Best Friend on the Payroll’.

Yes, it’s strange that people feel the need to fill their lives within going to see him, with having to be at the front for every show but it’s him, it’s the devotion and the loss of self-control, of body and mind, of being complete with an art form as opposed to passing with the fads that reveals itself everytime. I like that he has big burly bruisers of fans, who would smash my face in any other time, I like that you can have him ask someone in a Stirling crowd where they have travelled from and they say Los Angeles and that you get people who can either stand in silence, shed a tear in the direction of their youth or risk life and limb to get to him. It encompasses all that is holy and right with being a music fan, it speaks long after and creates memories, plants seeds and allows for complete abandonment; freedom; release and self expression that is severely lacking in today’s music and really, always has been.

Oh hello, I’m new to the forum. Maybe I should get out more... maybe a Morrissey concert?

Back
Top Bottom