Is Coronavirus as serious as they say?

I believe COVID is as serious as they say, how people can believe it isn’t is beyond my comprehension. Chaps like Piers Corbyn astonish me. We really need a wartime footing here, so these groups can be dispersed with whatever means necessary. I am old fashioned, I admit. Respect for the government & authority is paramount at at time like this.

I believe COVID is as serious as they say, how people can believe it isn’t is beyond my comprehension. Chaps like Piers Corbyn astonish me. We really need a wartime footing here, so these groups can be dispersed with whatever means necessary. I am old fashioned, I admit. Respect for the government & authority is paramount at at time like this.
I believe covid is as 'bad' as they say. I just don't think lockdowns are the answer. Common sense and being mindful of not going up and hugging everyone you see is all that's needed. It doesn't need to be enshrined in law. I was watching the news and the headline was 'The grim cost of covid 19' as they reported on unemployment now being at its highest for 5 years. It sickened me. It's not 'the grim cost of covid' that has put these people on the dole, it's the media hysteria, causing us all to lockdown. I can't remember seeing anything on the news at any time during all this, giving us the facts of how effective lockdowns are and how effective they have been in the past. Whether they work or whether they don't. People are more inclined to take heed when they're presented with facts rather than being told 'stay home, save lives' with the inference being 'go out, kill people'. Is it factually correct or just a big lie telling people 'stay in, save lives'? Where is the proof there is any substance in this statement?

I believe the lockdown has been proven to work, as transmission rates do fall when we have locked down. Whether the vaccine enables these to be permanently lifted obviously remains to be seen.

I believe covid is as 'bad' as they say. I just don't think lockdowns are the answer. Common sense and being mindful of not going up and hugging everyone you see is all that's needed. It doesn't need to be enshrined in law. I was watching the news and the headline was 'The grim cost of covid 19' as they reported on unemployment now being at its highest for 5 years. It sickened me. It's not 'the grim cost of covid' that has put these people on the dole, it's the media hysteria, causing us all to lockdown. I can't remember seeing anything on the news at any time during all this, giving us the facts of how effective lockdowns are and how effective they have been in the past. Whether they work or whether they don't. People are more inclined to take heed when they're presented with facts rather than being told 'stay home, save lives' with the inference being 'go out, kill people'. Is it factually correct or just a big lie telling people 'stay in, save lives'? Where is the proof there is any substance in this statement?
It’s really quite chilling what the state is prepared to do: in 2008 troops were on standby lest the proles started to demand their own money back from the the banks.

Oppression should be the last option, but in HMP Great Britain it remains the default go to when there’s even the slightest deviation from the script.

As an aside (but a related one), at my own workplace, we were promised the availability of routine quick Covid tests 10 months ago. Not only did this not happen, we’re now asked to engage in a collective amnesia because questions about it now makes management feel ‘uncomfortable’. That’s what ‘world beating’ means.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that there is a difference between, say, the protestors who are against climate change or the HS2 project, where it is a matter of opinion & there is a genuine argument either way for protest, and something that is, to any sane mind, an indisputable fact. I wouldn’t ever want to live in a police state, but when people are assaulting emergency workers in the midst of a national crisis, it’s unacceptable. I believe there was a US judge who said ‘Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you can stand up and shout fire in the middle of the theatre’.

Yes, it’s as meaningful and empty as any slogan. You might as well say that driving, drinking, smoking and procreation (not necessarily all at the same time) should be stopped through martial law—as they are risky pursuits which put pressure on the NHS.

I think that there is a difference between, say, the protestors who are against climate change or the HS2 project, where it is a matter of opinion & there is a genuine argument either way for protest, and something that is, to any sane mind, an indisputable fact. I wouldn’t ever want to live in a police state, but when people are assaulting emergency workers in the midst of a national crisis, it’s unacceptable. I believe there was a US judge who said ‘Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you can stand up and shout fire in the middle of the theatre’.
“Indisputable fact”?

"The Pure and Simple Truth is Rarely Pure and Never Simple." (Wilde).

I assume from your comments you are against government intervention over COVID - but 3 of the 4 examples you use actually raise money for the Government through taxes, which presumably go towards the NHS, so to stop them would cost the country in revenue. This lockdown is necessary; the Government have made mistakes but I believe they have always done what they thought was the best thing in the circumstances.

“Indisputable fact”?

"The Pure and Simple Truth is Rarely Pure and Never Simple." (Wilde).
I believe that the existence of COVID and the effectiveness of lockdown and masks in reducing transmission has been widely proven, yes. And certainly any protests that it doesn’t exist, that the Government are trying to control us, that they are lying about the numbers, is risible.

I assume from your comments you are against government intervention over COVID - but 3 of the 4 examples you use actually raise money for the Government through taxes, which presumably go towards the NHS, so to stop them would cost the country in revenue. This lockdown is necessary; the Government have made mistakes but I believe they have always done what they thought was the best thing in the circumstances.
Commerce, work, industry and VAT—afforded by ‘normal’ life—all contributes to the NHS. Free societies support risk-takers, and they protect the vulnerable. The UK is doing neither of those things. We’re failing at everything save, perhaps, for placating the fearful.

Commerce, work, industry and VAT—afforded by ‘normal’ life all contributes to the NHS. Free societies support risk-takers, and they protect the vulnerable. The UK is doing neither of those things. We’re failing at everything save, perhaps, for placating the fearful.
Under normal circumstances I agree with you, but at the moment we need to get this virus under control. I certainly by no means wish to live in a communist society. I have been a Conservative voter all my life. The day Maggie Thatcher was elected is still a vivid , great memory for me. The question of how we repay the national debt is a bigger issue, which is why I believe closed borders and more UK based holidays is a great start.

Under normal circumstances I agree with you, but at the moment we need to get this virus under control. I certainly by no means wish to live in a communist society. I have been a Conservative voter all my life. The day Maggie Thatcher was elected is still a vivid , great memory for me. The question of how we repay the national debt is a bigger issue, which is why I believe closed borders and more UK based holidays is a great start.
UK based holidays and closed borders are meaningless in a nation which (under the guidance of the Conservative Party) has protected tax havens and sold its major industries to foreign interests.

UK based holidays and closed borders are meaningless in a nation which (under the guidance of the Conservative Party) has protected tax havens and sold its major industries to foreign interests.
Well perhaps our exit from the EU can redress that balance. All of this fuss over EU wine costing £1.50 a bottle more, simply buy UK wine. We have so much to offer here.

As for the issue of tax, I don’t know how they can make the deficit back via that route without unfairly taxing the rich, which would be a disgrace.

Well perhaps our exit from the EU can redress that balance. All of this fuss over EU wine costing £1.50 a bottle more, simply buy UK wine. We have so much to offer here.

As for the issue of tax, I don’t know how they can make the deficit back via that route without unfairly taxing the rich, which would be a disgrace.
They will unfairly tax the poor, instead.

3600 dead yesterday for a total of 437000. New strains found in Japan I read this morning. So far we’ve been lucky that the vaccine still works for all those found so far

3600 dead yesterday for a total of 437000. New strains found in Japan I read this morning. So far we’ve been lucky that the vaccine still works for all those found so far
The vaccines won’t keep working. But modifications will be easy. It is perhaps worth noting that variants are apparently minimal in the US, and maximal in the UK’s worst of all worlds world-beating shit show.

The vaccines won’t keep working. But modifications will be easy. It is perhaps worth noting that variants are apparently minimal in the US, and maximal in the UK’s worst of all worlds world-beating shit show.

i guess that’s good news for me. We have the African strain here in Maryland so I’ve been hearing a bit about that lately

3100 yesterday 441000 dead total over the year and one month. 90000 in Jan alone. Infection numbers have been going down a bit but the death rates are still high so we’ll have to wait to see if it’s real or a statistical illusion

Back
Top Bottom