Is Morrissey a genius or a crank? - Independent.ie

2 issues:

1 - I no longer believe the press "twist his words." People have witnessed his words and his lame attempts to explain himself after he's called out usually reveal he's a butthead.

2 - He's not honest. He openly admits he lies. Or is that a lie too? Oops. Can't have it both ways.

Last point: the public is angry because of WHAT HE SAID! His fault. He does have the option to keep his big mouth shut on occasion, you know. That's not censorship; it's called tact.

The horror for me isn't necessarily what he said but that so many of you turn a blind ear to the fact that he said it and instead bend yourselves up like pretzels excusing him for being tasteless and insensitive.

Morrissey's statements are usually quite intimate and personal. It's nice that an artist takes the time to write a "letter" of sorts to keep his followers up to date. They are never lame. The last one seemed a bit rushed, I admit...but I think it was because he was angry for having to explain something to his "fans" that we should already understand. When will people like you get that he wasn't being insensitive to the horrific tragedy in Norway?

About the lying part...Look, we all lie. I wasn't talking about petty issues. When he's talking about animal rights, the music industry, etc., etc., I think we are all well aware of where he stands on these issues.

And, lastly, people will get angry and then they'll get over it...always have, always will. No one is bending themselves into a pretzel to excuse anything, but you are certainly getting all knotted up, and for what?

If you are "off" Morrissey, there are three very simple things that you can do:
1. stop listening to his music
2. stop going to his concerts
3. stop visiting this website, or any other that is associated with Morrissey.

"Anonymous - Yesterday, 06:41 PM Totally agreed with Hand in Glove...cheers!"
"Anonymous - Yesterday, 03:36 PM Absolutely spot on!! I couldn't have put it better myself."

Thanks, guys! :o

Morrissey is an honest person, and it's difficult for people to swallow the truth. The press twist the things he has said to fit their personal opinions so that their readers only get one side of the story. And, because most people can't see further than the tip of their nose, they take it all in as fact without considering the reason why he said x,y, and z. Or, when he makes a very controversial statement no one ever tries to bring out the positive. It seems like the first rule in journalism is to only concentrate on the negative aspects of a situation...but, there's always, always, two sides to a story.

I'm glad he says what he really thinks, whether it's good or bad, without feeling the need to pacify the public just because they're angry.
Agreed!

When people talk about "genius", I think of names like Alexander Fleming, William Shakespeare, Thomas Edison, Karl Marx and John Kemp Starley... you know: innovators who contributed something of lasting value to the world. What I don't think of is a f***ing pop singer.

Alexander Fleming a genius? He accidentally discovered mould kills bacteria due to the appalling state of his laboratory. Yes, he was a medical scientist and yes he helped develop the discovery - but it was a large portion of luck that separated Fleming from the millions of other scientists before and after all around the globe. Is luck the defining feature of the genius? I think not.

Karl Marx? Don't make me laugh.

I would say, Morrissey is an icon in the musicworld,
dunno his IQ, but he wrote some good lyrics [borrowed some]
and in The Smiths years, a whole young genration could identify
on his lyrics.

Solo he also had great lyrics, but have the idea lately it's all
said and done, but he still has it , to write wonderfull touching lyrics,
so give the Moz a recordeal and he can prove it

:guitar:

Thanks for posting Padre. I like being able to hear what he actually said instead of the hysteria of so many others. Why would anyone expect any other stance from Morrissey seeing how he has sung "Meat is Murder " in ever show on this tour. He is not saying Norway is a joke ......All is murder, murder....... human or animal. It is what he believes. Is it a crime ?

Alexander Fleming a genius? He accidentally discovered mould kills bacteria due to the appalling state of his laboratory. Yes, he was a medical scientist and yes he helped develop the discovery - but it was a large portion of luck that separated Fleming from the millions of other scientists before and after all around the globe. Is luck the defining feature of the genius? I think not.

Karl Marx? Don't make me laugh.

That individuals' reputations for genius owe a great deal to factors other than innate their characteristics isn't in dispute. I suppose you could say that luck is, indeed, one of those factors - in every instance. In your defence, I suppose, you're not, at least, pretending that Steven's a genius.

As for Karl, it sounds as though you want to say something disparaging, but aren't quite sure what.

Still, chin up.

Thank you. Very illuminating. The press didn't even get the quote right. Neither did the person who reported it on Solow, from where the press got the quote. I thought that when you quote someone, you're supposed to get the words right. Otherwise, you're paraphrasing.

You can obfuscate 'til your heart's content, but the actual form of words he used is no less offensive than that which was originally attributed to him.

Morrissey and Morrison...now THAT'S a winning combination. And both similar in mood, intelligence, both well-read. However, Jim hung with the regular folk more than Moz does. Of course mental illness and alcohol finally did Jim in...hope Morrissey doesn't follow suit.

He's talented and passionate.
I'm not qualified to call him a crank. I haven't discovered a portal into his mind to determine what is inside there. Armchair psychology and all that jazz.
:crazy:

He is absolutely normal and I do not see why anybody would call him a genius or a crank or one of a kind or special or anything of this kind. If you think he is, you need to get out more and meet and speak to people.

He is absolutely normal and I do not see why anybody would call him a genius or a crank or one of a kind or special or anything of this kind. If you think he is, you need to get out more and meet and speak to people.

He is a genius, and i don't need to get out more just to hear what other people think of Morrissey. Only what i think means anything to me.

You can obfuscate 'til your heart's content, but the actual form of words he used is no less offensive than that which was originally attributed to him.

Can you read? Or are you inferring meaning? The press DID misquote Morrissey. Even a young child learns in school how to properly quote someone, which the press did not do.

Back
Top Bottom