'Jack The Ripper' studio on this GH outing..

Jeez, I'm sorry, I was going to fess up sooner but I stepped away for a few minutes. It was a wee joke at the expense of those who don't have the "hard to find" studio version...SORRY!

That deserves a few of these :):):)

Although I think it's funny nobody called bullshit on my ridiculous Wilde post awhile back...I guess you have to make sure folks know you're kidding.

Dude, you're Morrissey slumming as an American, admit it! Of course you had fan boy running to his iPod!:)

It's a poem Wilde wrote after his imprisonment. It's bundled with Dorian in some editions, but the two were written at different times.

That's what I figured. Can you imagine a time when you could be jailed for being gay? Insane.

Am I the only one who thinks The Picture of Dorian Gray is the best novel ever?!:)

Christ on a bike, I was taken in by that - you're usually so authoritative, you swine - I played it four times and all I could hear him say was something about a bath. Getting back to that Never-Played Symphonies, what does he say?

Peter

Forgive me, Peter! I deserve to be pelted with rotten vegetables, I admit...

Here was my other post btw.

"The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" is a literary allusion. In 1985, a few months before the song was written, a junior researcher at Oxford University had discovered some unpublished poems written by Oscar Wilde to Bosie Douglas. Though they were eventually formally discredited (like the novel allegedly authored or co-authored by Wilde, Teleny), some observers thought they were legitimate after reading leaked manuscripts.

Among the poems was one which Morrissey, an avid Wilde enthusiast, would likely have read, called O! La névralgie!, containing this bit:

You trample 'pon a meadow pure,
With slender, lily-white feet,
Your Arcadian nudity so proud and sure.

Down silver'd moonbeams you glide,
So our roseate lips should meet,
O boy with a thorn in thy side.​

The poem's title translates as "O Neuralgia!"

Worm, you, like, totally made that up, didn't you?

Although I think it's funny nobody called bullshit on my ridiculous Wilde post awhile back...I thought the hoax was obvious but I guess you have to make sure folks know you're kidding.

Hey, now, let's give credit where credit is due. Pregs called it.

I have no idea what you people are blathering on about (still sleepy from naptime) but this is by far the greatest live recording of any song in the history of rock and roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCfciQ2H8E

Am I the only one who thinks The Picture of Dorian Gray is the best novel ever?!:)

Ever since Oscar Wilde died you're the only one. You and maybe Merlin Holland*.

I just read it again last weekend actually. I really liked it. I'm hot and cold about that novel. Sometimes I think it's a mess, but this time I appreciated it more than I have in years. I noticed Lord Henry's little blind spots about Dorian all the more, about how he thinks his protege is so very pure and lacking in the criminal streak. Lazily I used to think of him as being the closest thing to a Wilde surrogate in the book but he's not. It's interesting the way each of the three main characters possesses aspects of Wilde's personality, and the ways in which they play off each other. Like Morrissey it's often assumed he wasn't as reasonable and self-critical as the rest of us mere mortals, but he was.

Last edited:
I'm glad you edited your post because I was thinking to myself, "Man, Morrissey is grumpy today...":)

I will expose your true identity. You cannot have both!!

You cannot run forever Worm!:)

Ever since Oscar Wilde died you're the only one. You and maybe Merlin Holland*.

I just read it again last weekend actually. I really liked it. I'm hot and cold about that novel. Sometimes I think it's a mess, but this time I appreciated it more than I have in years. I noticed Lord Henry's little blind spots about Dorian all the more, about how he thinks his protege is so very pure and lacking in the criminal streak. Lazily I used to think of him as being the closest thing to a Wilde surrogate in the book but he's not. It's interesting the way each of the three main characters possesses aspects of Wilde's personality, and the ways in which they play off each other. Like Morrissey it's often assumed he wasn't as reasonable and self-critical as the rest of us mere mortals, but he was.

Yeah but if Worm were Morrissey, wouldn't he have spelled favorite with a "u?" ;)

I'm glad you edited your post because I was thinking to myself, "Man, Morrissey is grumpy today...":)

I will expose your true identity. You cannot have both!!

You cannot run forever Worm!:)

Puh-leeeeze. Do me a favor and don't repeat this ridiculous claim, even though you are jesting. It tends to invite abuse on my poor little head.

Of course, in this thread I richly deserve it. :)

Oh, I dunno, you're doing OK.

Peter

Me and lots of people here. Once again you are far too kind-- let's, um, let's change the subject back to what's really important.

I was appalled at Simon Reynolds' recent article in Salon. About The Smiths, Reynolds says they were “a critical force in the drift away from the dance floor and black influences.” Unfortunately for Reynolds, Simon Goddard’s account of “How Soon Is Now”, the track chosen for Rhino’s "Britbox" collection, trips him up from the get-go:

“At the time, Marr was heavily ingrained in 1950s Sun rockabilly, an influence which would play a sizeable hand on their next album, Meat Is Murder. As conversation turned to Elvis Presley’s debut recordings for Sun, [Producer John] Porter prompted Marr to jam with his ‘impression’ of Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup’s ‘That’s All Right’ which had been Elvis’ very first Sun single in 1954; the very roots of rock ‘n’ roll. Marr soon got into Porter’s groove and began blending his loose interpretation of ‘That’s All Right’ with his original chorus sequence. ‘How Soon Is Now?’ was born”. (Songs That Saved Your Life, p. 104)​

Should we really be laying the fault of indie rock’s “divorce” from black music—a marvelously crude argument in a dorm room let alone the pages of Salon—at the feet of The Smiths? I think not.

There.

Last edited:
Should we really be laying the fault of indie rock’s “divorce” from black music—a marvelously crude argument to begin with whether one finds it in a dorm room or in the pages of Salon—at the feet of The Smiths?

There.

Quite plainly bollocks. Given Morrissey's love of girl bands (The Cookies?), and How Soon Is Now's more obvious debt to Hamilton Bohannon, The Smiths are blameless. Anyway, the link has never been broken - how far back do we want to go?

A bit incoherent tonight, sorry. I have a bottle of wine, and I'm watching Withnail and I, so I'm probably drunker by proxy.

Peter

Quite plainly bollocks. Given Morrissey's love of girl bands (The Cookies?), and How Soon Is Now's more obvious debt to Hamilton Bohannon, The Smiths are blameless. Anyway, the link has never been broken - how far back do we want to go?

Agree, it's a silly claim to make. But some other critics are doing just that, like Sasha Frere-Jones in The New Yorker.

People like Reynolds seem to forget that The Smiths were one half Johnny Marr. Johnny wasn't exactly hostile to "black music", as his post-Smiths music proves-- not that he had to prove anything, mind you. I think this whole thesis about the alleged black/white split in indie rock is preposterous and in any case The Smiths were most certainly not to blame.

A bit incoherent tonight, sorry. I have a bottle of wine, and I'm watching Withnail and I, so I'm probably drunker by proxy.

Peter

One of the greatest movies ever made. The only thing better than watching "Withnail and I" with a bottle of wine is, of course, watching it with three bottles of wine.

Last edited:
Puh-leeeeze. Do me a favor and don't repeat this ridiculous claim, even though you are jesting. It tends to invite abuse on my poor little head.

Of course, in this thread I richly deserve it. :)

Okay, now you have me confused. Clearly, Oscar Wilde is quoted as saying, "It is better to be talked about than not." Additionally, we all know Morrissey loves Oscar Wilde's works. However, your dismissal of The Picture of Dorian Gray as the best novel ever written would imply you are not Morrissey. However, I see through your reverse psychology, and I am now even *more* convinced you are Morrissey!:)

P.S. Mozzer, what was it like when The Smiths broke up? Were you just bummed? Did you just want to strangle Johnny?:)

Your fan for life!:D

Hmmm. I accidentally set this computer up with American English when I got it and it keeps trying to "correct" my spelling. Driving me nuts. How do I change it?

One of the greatest movies ever made. The only thing better than watching "Withnail and I" with a bottle of wine is, of course, watching it with three bottles of wine.

So full of memorable quotes...

"What f***er said that???"

"I demand some booze!"

"The sink...it's full of...MATTER"

"As a youth, I used to weep in butcher's shops"

"Here...hare, here...here hare here!"

"You are a toilet trader!"

"I mean to have you, even if it must be burglary!"

I'll sleep well tonight, one bottle only.

Peter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom