James and Johnny Marr US Tour

The lead singer of James is a dickhole king.
He lied and said that he had to murder Birds because of a
health condition.
It was actually shown that the suggested diet for his condition,
accordian' to prominent professionals like the Mayo Clinic, was
instead plant based.
This dickhole didn't even have the guts to admit that he murdered
Birds by his own fruition.
turkerator knows best.

I'd say Morrissey does come close to dad-rock. One of Brummie Boy's most wicked put-down lines was calling the World Peace/Low in High School period "that dad-rock with world-music flourishes busted flush phase." But I also think a crucial aspect of dad-rock is being generic and savvy and crowd-pleasing, and even though Morrissey can still draw a crowd, he's too much of a pariah and a moaning diva to be a truly successful dad-rocker. The dads just want to dance and reminisce and rock out. Morrissy's continued dysfunction has its downsides, yet it saves him from a worse fate.
Yes, agree.

Is there any kind of female equivalent to Dad-Rock? (I guess "Mom-pop" has a bizarre feel to it...)

I think it was Meat is Murder. Morrissey once said James is one of the best bands in the world, would honestly love to hear Morrissey sing Laid, or would have, not at the age he is now.
Covering Laid at the time of Dear God please help me, that’s the time of ROTT, could have been funny. But my guess is that M had long lost interest in James by then. Don’t think M and Tim ever caught up again with each other.

Covering Laid at the time of Dear God please help me, that’s the time of ROTT, could have been funny. But my guess is that M had long lost interest in James by then. Don’t think M and Tim ever caught up again with each other.
I would be really interested on Morrissey's interpretation of that song, but alas, it shall never be

Maybe all this shared past glory will provide the miracle so many crave.
Imagine - Johnny is about to do a song and says he needs a hand with the vocals and everyone assumes TB will be bouncing back on, but instead it's Moz.

Can't something like this happen at last?
As long as both of them are still alive, there’s a shimmer of hope.
For now, lets see which song Johnny and TB will play together.

Back when they were good. Their first singles and album Stutter is very original as far as alternative goes. Are you familiar with those?

Stutter is one of my favourites and they still play it now and again. One of the good things about James is that they mix the set up when on tour. Last year they played 56 songs throughout their tour.

Last edited:
I never want to see Marr and Morrissey reunite. Never ever ever.

And sorry, I do not think Morrissey "comes close to dad-rock" at all. In no way, shape or form. In fact, he is the anti dad-rocker. Brummie Boy was just being a little catty (it’s always the ones you least expect).

Last edited:
As bad as Marr’s lyrics. Didn’t think it possible.

Though, not my favorite M song, but in comparison, musically Knockabout World slays the James song.
KW is far more interesting, with great dynamics and a catchy chorus. Plus, I don’t know what that anon is on about, Morrissey is a rocker, not a dad. Not a ‘dad-rocker’ like those other bozos.

Everyone has different opinions on music, lyrics etc. Metacritic (who aggregate all the reviews from various media outlets) scored Yummy 80, Fever Dreams 82 and Dog 62 which is an improvement on LIHS which scored 59.

Just inserting this here re: lyric quality...

Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la,
Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la

Just walking along, tra la la la,
Oh Jack, oh Jack, oh sweet baby Jack,
Everything he writes down must have instant attack

Anything less would only make him crack,
Any less would only make him crack, only make him crack

Tra la la la, tra la la la,
Borrow Burroughs,
Sit on Ginsburg, tra la la la,
47 years is enough time to live

Anything more would only make him crack ,
Anymore would only make him crack, crack, crack, only make him crack

Coney Island,
Sloppy sailers,
Tra la la la,
He better not hear

Just inserting this here re: lyric quality...

Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la

Just walking along, tra la la la,
Everything he writes down must have instant attack

Anything less would only make him crack,
Any less would only make him crack, only make him crack

Borrow Burroughs,
Sit on Ginsburg, tra la la la,
47 years is enough time to live

Anything more would only make him crack ,
Anymore would only make him crack, crack, crack, only make him crack

Coney Island,
Sloppy sailers,
Tra la la la,
He better not hear
I mean, yes, you're right, those Morrissey lyrics are pretty bad. But to me they still have a drunk uncle charm to them, whereas the Tim Booth lyrics from earlier in the thread just reek of pseudo-profound, half-assed, cod-Coldplay, mass singalong, cringe-infused earnestness.

We’re going to compare them now? Lol. Are we seriously going to compare Tim Booth to Morrissey for lyric quality??? :laughing::rofl:

Comparing lyrics of one song by Tim Booth to one song by Morrissey does nothing to help Tim Booth. We can keep going and pit song against song from throughout their respective histories and all it will do is highlight the fact that Tim Booth was never and will never be anything but entirely pedestrian.

Yes music is subjective and people like different things and everyone can like exactly whatever they want. Lol.

I’m sure they’ll do well with a 20-date tour in a country of almost 400 million people. There’s plenty of room out there for any number of still-as-of-yet-unknown even worse songs, for hobbyists, and for anything else anyone wants to be, or to do, or to go on a 20-date tour with.

We’re going to compare them now? Lol. Are we seriously going to compare Tim Booth to Morrissey for lyric quality??? :laughing::rofl:

Comparing lyrics of one song by Tim Booth to one song by Morrissey does nothing to help Tim Booth. We can keep going and pit song against song from throughout their respective histories and all it will do is highlight the fact that Tim Booth was never and will never be anything but entirely pedestrian.

Yes music is subjective and people like different things and everyone can like exactly whatever they want. Lol.

I’m sure they’ll do well with a 20-date tour in a country of almost 400 million people. There’s plenty of room out there for any number of still-as-of-yet-unknown even worse songs, for hobbyists, and for anything else anyone wants to be, or to do, or to go on a 20-date tour with.

I can’t see anyone saying Tim Booths lyrics are better than Morrissey’s.

I wasn't comparing it directly to Tim Booth (I am no expert with him or his band at all). I just find the lyric elitism super strange, that happens nearly every time someone else or god forbid Johnny Marr does anything and is - even worse! - successful in any way with it. As if the lyrics are the only thing people enjoy on a song. I am totally on the "lyrics should mean something" - side of things, hence a huge Smiths and earlier Morrissey fan, but the lyrics of late Morrissey (and I mean this is going on for years already) are a complete JOKE compared to his earlier work. The quality is absolutely declining and this elitism in regard to his lyrics doesn't stand the test of time anymore. But for people like you Morrissey could just sing the ABC and you would praise him for his genius, whereas other people would get mocked for being simple. Get some perspective.

I don't think Morrissey's current lyrics are up to previous standards either. But they haven't gone completely off the cliff, because he can still write great lyrics—those songs are just fewer and farther between.

I think a good current Morrissey song to hold up against Life's a F*cking Miracle is Notre-Dame. Musically, both are aiming for a clean, breezy groove, but Morrissey/Whyte goes for dark 70s disco-Floyd and succeeds, while James just sounds like generic feel-good electro-bop. And both are observing and assessing the world. Morrissey focuses in on a years-old news event and gives us crackpot conspiracy theory, but I'll take that lunacy any day of the week over James zooming out on the cosmos and giving us feel-good, pronouns-friendly pablum. I suspect the album title, Yummy, was abbreviated from "Life is great and this 3.00 latte is yummy!"

Thanks, that’s the biggest one so good for him.
Morrissey never got to play there, not even at the peak of his commercial success (2004 -2006).
He was at the biggest here (Pinkpop) at the time.

In Belgium I saw him do a festival in Lokeren and also Liege, but that was a little later I think.

But those festival days are definitely behind him, at this stage.

I'd say Morrissey does come close to dad-rock. One of Brummie Boy's most wicked put-down lines was calling the World Peace/Low in High School period "that dad-rock with world-music flourishes busted flush phase." But I also think a crucial aspect of dad-rock is being generic and savvy and crowd-pleasing, and even though Morrissey can still draw a crowd, he's too much of a pariah and a moaning diva to be a truly successful dad-rocker.
Yeah, dad-rock is the worst. I vaguely remember this brummie boy though.
The dads just want to dance and reminisce and rock out. Morrissey's continued dysfunction has its downsides, yet it saves him from a worse fate.

Nah, it could be much worse. Morrissey could
still be cuffing his jeans, and playing My Love Life.

Attack of the Dad-Rockers.

You see, I thought you were calling Marr and Tim ‘Dad-Rockers’ because they are dads. Which is why I said Morrissey is not a dad-rocker, because not a dad. But he is a rocker, a crooner, and a hunka burnin’ love! :rock::p

It was a good laid! good laid! good laid! …

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom