Johnny Marr in support of Pussy Riot

Qvist

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/jarvis-cocker-johnny-marr-support-pussy-riot

Really nice to see. The most relevant occasion for rock star engagement for as long as I can remember. Their own kind under threat - and in a case that very much involves the basics of rock music's potential to make a meaningful difference, as well as democratic principles in general. What a disgrace it'd be if this passed without protest from PR's western colleagues.

Obviously, it would have been nice to see Morrissey in there as well.

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/jarvis-cocker-johnny-marr-support-pussy-riot

Really nice to see. The most relevant occasion for rock star engagement for as long as I can remember. Their own kind under threat - and in a case that very much involves the basics of rock music's potential to make a meaningful difference, as well as democratic principles in general. What a disgrace it'd be if this passed without protest from PR's western colleagues.

Obviously, it would have been nice to see Morrissey in there as well.

Very good link. Thanks.

Morrissey could have a lot of fun with the Mayor of St Petersburg. He wouldn't get the 'keys to the city' but he could easily engineer getting his ass thrown in jail if he fancies becoming 'big in Russia'. It would be effortlessly easy for him to get denounced as a Satanist like Madonna and threatened with pre-modern responses to his provocations. Mind you, 'Pussy Riot' did get a bit 'confused' about the thin line between protest and criminality. Imagine if anti-cult fanatics ransacked Salford Lads in protest at Morrissey's pseudo-religion?

Unfortunately, as Israel, so also Russia: Madonna got there first and is about to go back for another round. Yet another reason for Morrissey to fixate on Madonna and try to troll / flame her. Again!

“I will come to St. Petersburg to speak up for the gay community and to give strength and inspiration to anyone who is or feels oppressed,” the pop star said by e-mail late yesterday. “I’m a freedom fighter.”

“I don’t run away from adversity,” Madonna, who has used her fame to support gay rights, said in the e-mail. “I will speak during my show about this ridiculous atrocity.”

Madonna’s first show in Russia six years ago was marred by protests of Russian Orthodox activists who objected to her performance of the song “Live to Tell,” which she sang while wearing a crown of thorns and dangling from a cross.'

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-21/madonna-vows-to-oppose-gay-law-in-putin-s-hometown

She's funny. Still totally 'out there' in some ways, klutzy in others. She needs to stop being a shady 'C U Next Tues' troll on Gaga and dish it to the forces of Russky reaction one more time. Simply cannot imagine Morrissey being this focussed and '4 real'. He was in Tel Aviv but didn't seem to have a clue 'why' he was there. If he goes back to Russia, he'll just be another gormless tourist. So much for the 'radical outsider chic'. LOL! He had the perfect opportunity to inflame via the lesbo 'HSIN' girl-on-girl thing but he couldn't be bothered or bottled it. He went to Moscow & St Petersburg, did anyone outside of this 'cult community' even notice?

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/arts_...throws-arms-around-moscow-st-pete/379203.html

regards

Johnny Marr signs Pussy Riot letter

There was a letter in The Times signed by various musicians in support of Pussy Riot yesterday. Signed by Johnny Marr, Pete Townshend, Jarvis Cocker, Cornershop, Neil Tennant and some others.

The Times website is paywalled, so I don't have a link, sorry.

Morrissey hasn't commented about Pussy Riot so, at this stage, it is not possible to say exactly how the affair is connected to the British royal family.

Last edited:
Re: Johnny Marr signs Pussy Riot letter

:lbf:

I'm sure that nonce Townshend's support will help them no end, the f***ing nonce.

Naah, it won't help.

I think I'm in love, Venus behind bars! :love: :p Or Venus in a Half Cell? Okay I'll stop. Good for Johnny to sign that.

400px-Maria_Alekhina_%28Pussy_Riot%29_at_the_Moscow_Tagansky_District_Court_-_Denis_Bochkarev.jpg

640px-Venus_botticelli_detail.jpg

Last edited:

Hey Pav1ova,

What has been the reaction over there?
Well, some people in Russia think they've done a serious crime and 've offended feelings of religious people.
In support of pr, Femen activists in Kiev sawed down a cross.
And an artist in Saint Petersburg sewed up his mouth.
I can't remember everything that happened. Madhouse. At least, they're not in prison for 7 years, only for 2.

Well, some people in Russia think they've done a serious crime and 've offended feelings of religious people.
In support of pr, Femen activists in Kiev sawed down a cross.
And an artist in Saint Petersburg sewed up his mouth.
I can't remember everything that happened. Madhouse. At least, they're not in prison for 7 years, only for 2.

Thanks for the information.

What do you think the split is? Do you think the public are siding with them or against them on the whole?

Is 2 years seen as being lenient? Was 7 years a real possibility?

Thanks for answering. I find it really interesting. :)

Thanks for the information.

Do you think the public are siding with them or against them on the whole?

Is 2 years seen as being lenient? Was 7 years a real possibility?

Thanks for answering. I find it really interesting. :)

It's hard to say. 50/50.
Section for "hooliganism" says about imprisonment for up to 7 years. So I dunno.
And excuse my English.

It's hard to say. 50/50.
Section for "hooliganism" says about imprisonment for up to 7 years. So I dunno.
And excuse my English.

There is no need to apologise. Your English is much better than my Russian! You're making yourself perfectly understood.

It's great to hear a perspective from Russia. All we have is US and UK based outrage.

Naah, it won't help.

That's not true at all. Johnny holds a lot of sway with Putin. The whole Chechnya thing was mainly Putin's anger about Electronic breaking up.

The BBC quoted a poll saying that 6% of Russians had a favourable attitude to PR. I expect the poll was done by the KGB, though.

That's not true at all. Johnny holds a lot of sway with Putin. The whole Chechnya thing was mainly Putin's anger about Electronic breaking up.

The BBC quoted a poll saying that 6% of Russians had a favourable attitude to PR. I expect the poll was done by the KGB, though.

FSB man, FSB...

Putin%20Horse%20Large_050312012509.jpg

Doesn't he remind you of the Old Spice guy?

Nah. That's like saying "JobCentre Plus". Everyone knows it's still "The Job Centre".

They need to be FREED! Russia are gay and behind with the times by a thousand years. Let the poor girls go! They're only punk! :(

It's hard to say. 50/50.
And excuse my English.
hard to say? I bet Pav1ova :eek:
I do not envy you living there during these once again dark times :straightface:
here's hoping it gets better soon :o
especially before I leave that area of the world, because I really wanted to visit Russia sometime in 2013...

I think I'm in love, Venus behind bars! :love: :p Or Venus in a Half Cell? Okay I'll stop. Good for Johnny to sign that.

400px-Maria_Alekhina_%28Pussy_Riot%29_at_the_Moscow_Tagansky_District_Court_-_Denis_Bochkarev.jpg

640px-Venus_botticelli_detail.jpg

anigif_enhanced-buzz-13991-1332774122-54.gif

Back
Top Bottom