Jonathan Ross tweets about cheering Morrissey up

Re: Wossy "cheers Morrissey up" ??

Moz was recently moaning on TTY about not getting any offers to do TV, so I reckon we can put 2 and 2 together here.

Oh yes, totally agree, amazing. I'm pretty sure, in my Friday night drunkne(?) stupor that is, that "Art Hounds" is one of the best pop songs ever written (well, I don't actually mean that, but you know, it's pretty great). And yes, far better albums than WPINOYB have tanked. But I don't think that his political naivetaaay has earned him many enemies (people don't really care about politics, right?). He is great, pure and simple. To hell with album sales.

Not that I'm interested in the charts, but can an album that reaches number 2 be said to have "tanked"?

So, it seems that Morrissey is back on Twitter? Is this real?

https://twitter.com/stillMozsworld

I am very skeptical, but according to TRB, this is the man.

It's TRB promoting his own twitter account where he talks to himself pretending to be Morrissey. You are TRB promoting it here.

You aren't skeptical, you're desperate and pathetic.

It's TRB promoting his own twitter account where he talks to himself pretending to be Morrissey. You are TRB promoting it here.

Is any of this connected to that following Moz blog?
There was an (udder) anonymous poster on here yesterday who mentioned a "satire" on there, the main point of which seemed to be to imagine Moz talking about the blue rose thing. I assume the blue rose thing is also the same person(s)?

If you look at how I have criticized WPINOYB in my posts and how I never fawn over Morrissey, it is obvious I am not TRB. I live in the U.S., and that clown lives elsewhere.

I can imagine their huge moon faces pressed against the glass whippin' (around) Piccadilly. There's not enough hours in the day.

------------------------------------

It's interesting to hear talk of why Morrissey didn't break America. It's true the sudden rise of grunge may have had an affect but people are entirely capable of embracing two or more genres of music at once.

There are many of us here I'm sure, who then and probably now, listen to Morrissey, the Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Lennon, Sinatra, Elvis, the Stones and Maria Callas et al, probably mixed in with something very current that won't last until the end of next week.

Morrissey's big break in the US came on Carson in 1991 promoting what is still widely believed, even by his fans, to be his worst album, Kill Uncle. If you, the average punter, had raced out and bought KU on the strength of that appearance alone it might have given you pause for thought. If he had been given the chance to promote Viva Hate or Your Arsenal as a first step in America his profile may have been higher. He'd never have been Garth Brooks, but I would guess he might not have wanted to be.

In the end it is only ever about the songs, and that is as true today as it has ever been. Radio stations don't pick up on the types of songs on World Peace so they don't get airplay, so the album gains less promotion, so it sells fewer copies. Again, as he has throughout his career, Morrissey has a knack for leaving songs which should have been on the actual release as bonus disc extras, but that's no surprise. Anyone who relegates something as magnificent as Nobody Loves Us to a b-side, for example, can't be said to always have sound (Ithangyew) judgement.

It is all well and good complaining that if more people had heard it more would have bought it, but far, far better albums than World Peace have tanked. It doesn't help that Morrissey, always out there on the edge, has now, through his political naiveté and idiot gob positioned himself on the ledge beyond the edge, but ultimately it is only the songs that matter.

On World Peace there aren't enough tunes to get even Morrissey fans to buy it in previous numbers. Pure and simple.

It's just that fact that he was never even afforded one smash hit. "Suedehead", "The Last of the Famous International Playboys", "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" or any number of songs from the start of his solo career to mid 90s could have been pushed and gotten considerable airplay but never did a Morrissey song get that push where you would hear it every hour and have it stay on the charts for months. No, his singles always received minimal airplay and fell off the charts often in a couple weeks regardless of how good the songs were and regardless of the fact that his albums sold well and he sold out huge live venues.

The core fanbase was always there it seems but they aren't the ones who decide the hits ultimately.

Sorry, I shouldn't have responded like that. Off the cuff. Unwarranted.

Seems to happen a lot. It's little wonder you've got a reputation among those who post here. Try reading the post before coming off overly critical. You've done it to a few people before and it's often 'unwarranted'. A good philosophy to have is one whereby you use language online that you would also be use face to face.

If you look at how I have criticized WPINOYB in my posts and how I never fawn over Morrissey, it is obvious I am not TRB. I live in the U.S., and that clown lives elsewhere.

You're laying track for your social experiment. This post alone establishes that, if you really really weren't being bipolar and playing both sides, you'd tell me to f*** off. But you're detached from true emotion. You literally pan and praise Morrissey in a calculated attempt to get a response.

Looking at the low rent guests of Wossy nowadays (he has certainly had his day, sadly so, he was good) I would hate Morrissey to be anywhere near ITV. FFS.

I hope he didn't get Russell Brand round, and the pair of them rang up Harvest boss Steve Barnett and leave loads of offensive messages on his answerphone, or he'll be shitting himself now.

Those 4 download songs have spoken word videos and a 10" vinyl. When was the last time he did that? The only beautiful B sides you'll be hearing are the ones from the second disc. They only cut 18 songs in the studio.

Spoken word videos and a 10" vinyl compilation of 4 album tracks don't make these songs singles which still means that this is the only time Morrissey has released an album without any traditional singles. Having said that, I loved the videos and the availability of the songs as pre-release downloads was a good strategy so I'm thankful for that as I think they helped.

I also missed the posting about the 7" vinyl releases when I wrote my original post, so I was blissfully unaware of the possibility of those. And now after today's 'no more Harvest' news, I can see just how naive I was truly being about hoping for singles with B-sides from WPINOYB but going back to how I started the post, I'm still a fan who 'don't lose faith'. CR

I guess we know now why Moz needed comforting. What a strange Sunday this is turning out to be.

This conundrum is now solved.

To paraphrase Withnail, the only television show Morrissey is now likely to get on is the f***ing news.

This conundrum is now solved.

To paraphrase Withnail, the only television show Morrissey is now likely to get on is the f***ing news.

Pah! In the UK, at least, there's absolutely no TV show that would refuse him. None whatsoever. If he decided he wanted his promotional duties to be Emmerdale, Crimewatch and The Sky At Night, he'd get it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom