Justin Hawkins YT: "The Rick Astley Interview" - Morrissey/Smiths mentions (January 29, 2024)

Don't think Astley can be blamed for this interviewer, who's obviously just virtue-signalling. Its good to see him having alot of fun and using his meme status to bring the Smiths to more potential listeners!

Attachments

• rick-astly-rick-rolled.gif
    rick-astly-rick-rolled.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Obviously I don't hear it jamasss. And he's obviously looking for money and stinking at wanting to take Morrissey's place... People can have a lot of money and in many cases greed leads them to have more. Please!!! Only fools deny it. Because you think Marr didn't like him at all... Answer: They want the money and they don't even have the decency to tell me that they are going to use our material
VAMOOO!!!!!
I don’t begrudge him earning a few quid, for those fantastic events.

Now that those Astley/Blossoms gigs are well behind us, it all seems like a non-event. All I remember about the shows almost a year later is that Marr came off like a bratty titty baby for making something more of the concerts than was really there. His reaction was cringe inducing, though I was pleasantly surprised when El Hefe gave an approving nod.

As a one-off, Rick Astley living out his teenage fantasy in front of other Smiths obsessives was a laugh, but it were to become a habit, I'd have his head on a pike.

Now that those Astley/Blossoms gigs are well behind us, it all seems like a non-event. All I remember about the shows almost a year later is that Marr came off like a bratty titty baby for making something more of the concerts than was really there. His reaction was cringe inducing, though I was pleasantly surprised when El Hefe gave an approving nod.

As a one-off, Rick Astley living out his teenage fantasy in front of other Smiths obsessives was a laugh, but it were to become a habit, I'd have his head on a pike.

Marr said it was both horrible and funny, which was objectively correct.

Your contribution confusingly flits between vivid recollection, strong opinion, and a real sense that you witnessed nothing of the actual events.

You’d have a future in the music press, as a gig reviewer.

I can blame Astley for singing the Smiths then doing endless interviews that drag Morrissey's name through the mud.

That's why it's not fun.
Astley says nothing that "drags" Morrissey in this interview nor is there any mud...
Hawkins alludes to recent stuff, but Astley doesn't go there. Are you incapable of seeing anything other than your own narrow, reactionary and 99% of the time incorrect view (often ridiculed here and on Twitter). Do you understand that people that "pick sides" are actually not very bright or well informed? - oh yeah, you don't. Keep your third year debating style, it's a great look on you.
(cue non-direct reply, attempts to distract or general behaviour that doesn't address the actual point as you KNOW so much better than anyone else).

Astley says nothing that "drags" Morrissey in this interview nor is there any mud...
Hawkins alludes to recent stuff, but Astley doesn't go there. Are you incapable of seeing anything other than your own narrow, reactionary and 99% of the time incorrect view (often ridiculed here and on Twitter). Do you understand that people that "pick sides" are actually not very bright or well informed? - oh yeah, you don't. Keep your third year debating style, it's a great look on you.
(cue non-direct reply, attempts to distract or general behaviour that doesn't address the actual point as you KNOW so much better than anyone else).

My point is that Astley singing the Smiths & giving interviews about it has led to more attacks on Morrissey & that is indisputable.

This is a direct reply.
It's not a distraction.
It is the actual point.

My point is that Astley singing the Smiths & giving interviews about it has led to more attacks on Morrissey & that is indisputable.

This is a direct reply.
It's not a distraction.
It is the actual point.
You actually stated "doing endless interviews that drag Morrissey's name through the mud" when this interview is nothing of the such. You are adjusting your "point" in face of criticism and the actual reality is that Astley didn't drag his name in this, but you felt like saying it and grasping at/relaing it to other comments by him elsewhere. You are totally wrong on this occasion (how unusual) which is a concept your brain can't fathom. Had you said Hawkins then maybe, but otherwise your poor debating style and completely jaded and incorrect view of the facts remain. "More attacks on Morrissey" is the distraction as it relates nothing to this video nor does it relate to Astley's comments. Can you demonstrate how this specific video has increased "attacks" anywhere towards Morrissey. Why don't you just go the whole hog and shove Morrissey up your terminally incorrect, barren vagina and give birth to him again so you can bore everyone with your distorted mothering of him. Deluded. Ill. Obsessive...
Get help.

I can blame Astley for singing the Smiths then doing endless interviews that drag Morrissey's name through the mud.

That's why it's not fun.

I don't know how many other interviews Rick's done on the topic. In this one he was asked about it - it's not as though he went out of his way to bring it up. It's a 1:14 interview, the entire thing is not about the Smiths covers.

Ironically, Morrissey gave his blessing, and yet people here are still upset about it.

You actually stated "doing endless interviews that drag Morrissey's name through the mud" when this interview is nothing of the such. You are adjusting your "point" in face of criticism and the actual reality is that Astley didn't drag his name in this, but you felt like saying it and grasping at/relaing it to other comments by him elsewhere. You are totally wrong on this occasion (how unusual) which is a concept your brain can't fathom. Had you said Hawkins then maybe, but otherwise your poor debating style and completely jaded and incorrect view of the facts remain. "More attacks on Morrissey" is the distraction as it relates nothing to this video nor does it relate to Astley's comments. Can you demonstrate how this specific video has increased "attacks" anywhere towards Morrissey. Why don't you just go the whole hog and shove Morrissey up your terminally incorrect, barren vagina and give birth to him again so you can bore everyone with your distorted mothering of him. Deluded. Ill. Obsessive...
Get help.

I appreciate you're massively sexist & extremely literal, but:

Astley sings Smiths +
interviews about singing Smiths = more negative discourse about Morrissey

It's not that difficult.

I appreciate you're massively sexist & extremely literal, but:

Astley sings Smiths +
interviews about singing Smiths = more negative discourse about Morrissey

It's not that difficult.

Wait, you're blaming Rick Astley for negative discourse about Morrissey - and not Morrissey acting like a complete ass by canceling shows at the last minute, complaining about being erased from the Smiths after banning Johnny from speaking about him, posting ridiculous content instead of explaining or apologizing for tour cancellations.

You don't think the negative discourse has anything to do with Morrissey?!

Rick Astley embodied the tyranny of the manstream in the music in the 1980s.​

Now, he is just an average singer leading an average tribute band. He doesn't give any justice to the beauty and grace of the Smiths' music.

He looks for money and sings awful, I prefer Maldonado, the Mexican who imitates Moz, at least he's a superfan and needs the money. RAstley is a living... and then badmouths Morrissey

That's why it's not fun.

Rick had a chance to be gracious. Justin nudged him, asking if he'd ever said anything outrageous himself. But despite massively enhancing his profile using many lyrics Morrissey largely created, he failed to give credit. So no, it's not fun. It's cowardly and exploitative.

People who "walk" on social media are obviously not brilliant .!!!!

Just watched the interview and thought Rick came across as a nice genuine guy.

Personally, couldn't bring myself to watch all of his Glastonbury gig singing Smiths songs, mainly because no one can sing those songs like Morrissey does and secondly I thought it was a bit cringeworthy. But if the set opens The Smiths songs to a newer audience then it can't be a bad thing?

However, I don't rate Justin as a good interviewer, he keeps interrupting too much.

I’ve just watched it, and I thought Rick managed it brilliantly: he recognised his role was to focus on the songs, not to judge the singer—and refused the apparent invitation to do so without stonewalling the interviewer (or alienating those who may have negative opinions about Morrissey).

A class act. As long as you’re not pretending to be radical, diplomacy is an attribute.

Back
Top Bottom