"Kill Uncle" released 17 years ago today

Well, I'm almost too late for the UKers, but Kill Uncle was released in the UK 17 years ago today (March 4th, 1991). It was released the next day in the US & Canada. I've told this story here before, but I remember giving advance notice to my dorm roommates that I'd need the stereo for a couple hours that day to digest it. One of my roommates came back to the room when I was halfway finished, and asked my opinion so far. I gave it a thumbs down. Still do, too. (Sorry, Corrissey!) Thankfully, Morrissey was back in fine form a year later.

Read more about it at Passions.

Morrissey%20-%20Kill%20Uncle.jpg

Somehow I doubt that this thread will attract as much attention as the "Suedehead" one did. :D

I didn't like it at first but I knew I'd have to let it grow on me. For a few months it did just that-- and then I heard many of the songs played live by his superb new band. The rockier versions were so vastly superior ("Sing Your Life" in particular) that the album was, as those in the mafioso arts say, dead to me.

To this day I think the album was ruined almost entirely by the producers. The admittedly obscure headline I wrote for a review I wrote for my high school paper was a little cutesy-cutesy but as a verdict I think it still stands: "Madness in great ones must not unwatch'd go".

I didn't like it at first but I knew I'd have to let it grow on me. For a few months it did just that-- and then I heard many of the songs played live by his superb new band. The rockier versions were so vastly superior ("Sing Your Life" in particular) that the album was, as those in the mafioso arts say, dead to me.

See, I didn't have the opportunity to see them performed live. The f***er never played in Iowa, and I was far too poor to drive to Chicago or Minneapolis.

To this day I think the album was ruined almost entirely by the producers. The admittedly obscure headline I wrote for a review I wrote for my high school paper was a little cutesy-cutesy but as a verdict I think it still stands: "Madness in great ones must not unwatch'd go".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Which set the pace for the rest of your writings... :D

AGREED. I hate that "Kill Uncle" gets flackkkkkkkkkkkkkkk:gun: mad as hell about it!

okay for us Kill Uncle lovers... our approach must be cool but consistent in defense. Put down the machine gun for a sec...

and lets try it like this...

Last edited by a moderator:
See, I didn't have the opportunity to see them performed live. The f***er never played in Iowa, and I was far too poor to drive to Chicago or Minneapolis.

You're from Iowa? Interesting. Maybe you can tell us what's wrong with Kansas. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Which set the pace for the rest of your writings... :D

Yes, the pace of a diseased slug on his day off.

Last edited:
I only enjoyed "Kill Uncle" seventeen years ago...and every year since until just recently, because of the title...

My brother and I always had a good laugh each time the family got together with Uncle "the squirrel" George and Uncle "uhh uhh uhh" Bob.

Recently though I have begun to appreciate the songs of the Kill Uncle years....I am not wild about the album, but I love listening to live versions of the songs.

and now my brother is an Uncle..and my kids listen to Morrissey :guitar:

You're from Iowa? Interesting. Maybe you can tell us what's wrong with Kansas. :)

Better yet, I could tell you what's wrong with a state that actually borders Iowa, like Nebraska. :D

Yes, the pace of a diseased slug on his vacation.

You set the pace of what was to come
I have to carry on now that you're gone
A day in the life well nobody laughed
Look to the days how long can this last

oooh i love the live versions and often listen to the album itself... I particularly love king leer and mute witness - at the end when it goes... la la la la la la la la.... your taxi is here my dear.... la la la la... OOOHHHH!!! YES!

Better yet, I could tell you what's wrong with a state that actually borders Iowa, like Nebraska. :D

Muhahahaha. When you're from the Coast, you don't need to know yer stinkin' geography. (Overseas, you get the same privilege by being American, as in "I don't gotta know where Iraq is, ya damn pansy, BUT I GOT ME A BOMB THAT'S A-HEADIN' THERE!").

You set the pace of what was to come
I have to carry on now that you're gone
A day in the life well nobody laughed
Look to the days how long can this last

Holy Retarded Googlicious Coincidences, Batman, but (having forgotten where they came from) I looked up those lines only to find a blog page (Thank me later, Amy) with the lyrics posted on top-- right below a quotation from a band you may have heard of called THE SMITHS.

I was just saying to a friend yesterday how Kill Uncle will always remind me of high school. When it was released I raced out and got it on cassette and it never left my car. Scary to think I was 17, seventeen years ago!

I gave it a thumbs down. Still do, too. (Sorry, Corrissey!)

As you should be! :mad: :rolleyes:

Those who love Kill Uncle can't understand why others don't love it as well. Kind of like how people love Morrissey (why doesn't everyone?!) :rolleyes:

Wow... 17 years... I remember the time well.

This album was a transition - not just for Moz but for me as well. In 1991, I had gotten a job in the City and for three months, I spent 3 hours every day commuting from the 'burbs on the Metra train -all the while listening to this album. It's the only thing that kept me sane. After 3 months, I said 'screw it', and high-tailed it to Chicago (the most irrational but best move I've ever made) and within weeks I was at his June show. KU holds a very dear place in my heart. There isn't one song I don't listen to as they all hold a special meaning for me.

Viva Kill Uncle! :cool:

p.s. suparni, I love the West Side Story-Kill Uncle dance off :D

I don't know if its 'influence'...but Kill Uncle was for a very long time my favourite Morrissey album/CD. I have a casette of it in my car but today, I just couldn't listen to it. I think I'm over it!

nice. i heard it today, again.

I really like Our Frank, Mute Witness, Driving your GF Home, There is a Place in Hell, Tony the Pony (yeah I said it). other than that, it's poop.

Back
Top Bottom