Legendary guitarist Jeff Beck plays on 'Years of Refusal'

Re: Promo page for YoR on Lost Highway site

that's news to me. pretty exciting news.

Legendary guitarist Jeff Beck plays on 'Years of Refusal'?

Just spotted this from the main page:
"Long time band members Boz Boorer, Jesse Tobias, Matt Walker, and Solomon Walker play on the album, which also features a contribution from Jeff Beck on the track "Black Cloud"."

Apols if already discussed but it's the first I've heard!
I've heard of Jeff Beck but know little about him other than he's a 'legendary' guitarist from the 60's. Pretty unusual for a Moz record. Wonder who set the whole thing up?

Just checked on Wiki and he used to be in The Yardbirds with Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton. Apparently he's been voted the 14th best guitarist of all time!

Re: Legendary guitarist Jeff Beck plays on 'Years of Refusal'?

I've never really known who he was, unfortunately.

Either way, I'm sure it's a step up from Jesse.

I vaguely remember someone posted a thread last year about the recordings of new album which mentioned Jeff Beck.

It's great to have another legendary artist who contributed to new album.

I vaguely remember someone posted a thread last year about the recordings of new album which mentioned Jeff Beck.

It's great to have another legendary artist who contributed to new album.

yeah, it's interesting news. as mentioned above, I'm intrigued to know how the connection was made. is he a friend of Boz's or of Morrissey's new manager?
the idea of a hoary old 60's blues guitar legend playing on a solo Morrissey song is pretty bizarre!
from a generational difference point of view, it's a bit like Marr joining the Cribbs!

Probably Boz. Boz knows everyone doesn't he? :)

Jeff Beck was just here a couple of weeks ago at The Chicago Theater. I'm anxious to hear Black Cloud, he's a legend & a master shredder. :guitar:

Hi Ho Silver Lining...

Good heavens, my Dad will be excited by this news. I'm sure this has been mentioned here before, but there's a DVD of a Christy Moore (another guitarist's guitarist) gig where he plays a cover of "America Is Not The World", along with an anecdote of him watching Morrissey from the side of the stage.

My Dad is so pleased he has happened upon some common ground with me, he puts it on everytime I go and see him. Jeff Beck is his hero. He'll be unable to contain himself.

I'm sure this has been mentioned here before, but there's a DVD of a Christy Moore (another guitarist's guitarist) gig where he plays a cover of "America Is Not The World", along with an anecdote of him watching Morrissey from the side of the stage.

I've never heard this anecdote. Christy Moore has a few DVDs; which one has this cover?

Re: Promo page for YoR on Lost Highway site

http://losthighwayrecords.com/artist/detail.aspx?nid=2456&aid=260

Nothing exciting yet but who knows.

EDIT: I take that back.. I had no idea Jeff Beck was involved with Black Cloud. Is that new info or did I just miss it?

Holy crap - that is amazing. I love Jeff Beck.

Anybody remember that crazy rumour awhile ago that Moz, Jeff Beck & Chrissie Hynde were seen jamming in the lobby of a California hotel?! Maybe it wasn't so crazy after all. [SORRY, I WROTE THIS BEFORE SEEING JONES' POST]

Last edited:

I've never really known who he was, unfortunately.

Either way, I'm sure it's a step up from Jesse.

I think the timing is richly ironic. Some people here have dogged Alain's playing for years and claim Jesse to be so much better. So what happens on the very first album since Your Arsenal that Alain hasn't played on? They bring in a FAMOUS GUEST GUITARIST to play on a track, which would have been an unheard of move for Morrissey 10 - 15 years ago.

You know, I'll bet that if there is ever any collaboration between Morrissey and Johnny again it will be similar to that: Johnny will come into the studio and lay down some guitar parts, but they won't write or tour together. He's become a professional at guesting on people's records. It might not be a bad thing, as it would reduce the enormously high expectations somewhat.

Cheers,
Jamie

They bring in a FAMOUS GUEST GUITARIST to play on a track, which would have been an unheard of move for Morrissey 10 - 15 years ago.

Probably.. but 16 years ago Mick Ronson played on Seasick Yet Still Docked so your time frame is pretty accurate. :D

Probably.. but 16 years ago Mick Ronson played on Seasick Yet Still Docked so your time frame is pretty accurate. :D

Touche - I forgot about that! :o

Cheers,
Jamie

But Ronson's nowhere near as famous as Beck, and besides, his contribution to "Seasick" was minimal enough to be buried in the credits.

Back
Top Bottom