"List of the Lost" reviews in The Guardian, The Daily Beast

I'll make up my own mind, but The Guardian are not impressed...

Morrissey: What we learned about him from List of the Lost by Michael Hann - The Guardian blog
Morrissey’s first novel is out and … well, it’s not very good. But the classic Moz tropes are present and correct

Excerpt:

"It’s commonplace in this kind of article to tell you we’re reading the book so you don’t have to. It’s a tease, usually. In the case of List of the Lost, however, it’s absolutely true. Do not read this book; do not sully yourself with it, no matter how temptingly brief it seems. All those who shepherded it to print should hang their heads in shame, for it’s hard to imagine anything this bad has been put between covers by anyone other than a vanity publisher. It is an unpolished turd of a book, the stale excrement of Morrissey’s imagination."

By the way ... I note at the very beginning "The author would like to thank Helen Conford"

The Dailybeast say...

Morrissey’s First Novel ‘List of the Lost’ Is a Bizarre, Misogynistic Ramble by Nico Hines - The Daily Beast
The writing is laughably clunky, the characters thinly drawn, the style stilted. But what’s worst about the ex-Smiths frontman’s List of the Lost is its repulsive treatment of women.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just on opinion. I never claimed to have a legacy. I don't have a Ferrari but I can say if I like them or not can't I?
Perhaps by swimming against the tides of ridicule this work is generating you somehow feel extra loyalty to the author? Maybe you'll be rewarded with front row seats at his comeback UK shows on the end of Blackpool pier? Or perhaps you just feel you should unquestioningly defend all Morrissey's work at all costs?
I don't really care.
I'm glad someone has enjoyed it so far. Just watching the responses and commenting. Isn't that what this website is for?

Just on opinion. I never claimed to have a legacy. I don't have a Ferrari but I can say if I like them or not can't I?
Perhaps by swimming against the tides of ridicule this work is generating you somehow feel extra loyalty to the author? Maybe you'll be rewarded with front row seats at his comeback UK shows on the end of Blackpool pier? Or perhaps you just feel you should unquestioningly defend all Morrissey's work at all costs?
I don't really care.
I'm glad someone has enjoyed it so far. Just watching the responses and commenting. Isn't that what this website is for?

I deeply respect your view,
What I do object to most strongly is that someone have placarded the
town with posters on which was printed in large letters:--

MR. Morrissey's
LATEST ADVERTISEMENT:
A BAD CASE.

Surely bad review after bad review is a blow to Moz's ego, has he announced his official retirement from public lifeyet? I expect something along that line from TTY shortly. He should have stuck to the tale of the conjoined twins.

I don't really care.

I deeply respect your view,
What I do object to most strongly is that someone have placarded the
town with posters on which was printed in large letters:--

MR. Morrissey's
LATEST ADVERTISEMENT:
A BAD CASE.

Erm.... Ok.
Thanks
And this is where I must bid you a good dreamy dream, sleepy sleep, duck down dynasty filled bastards, beddy boos dark time...
That's a little known Wilde quote in an attempt to feel superior.

Surely bad review after bad review is a blow to Moz's ego, has he announced his official retirement from public lifeyet? I expect something along that line from TTY shortly. He should have stuck to the tale of the conjoined twins.

im told the paris show was not well attended. he must drinking vodka and consuming corn chips.
i hope damon takes the laptop away from him, and assure him his getting stellar reviews, otherwise he probably wont come onstage at the next gig.

Allow me, Sir, to state that there are no grounds for this insinuation.
Current number 19 - Amazon.

oh, bad news, it just fell to 22.
is there anyone out there who can buy a couple of copies and quick???

So what's this I hear of diabolical possession and demons? From Moz? I love horror novels and reading about demons but Is it really so strange? No plans for US release? I'll find a copy somewhere.

Last edited:
o bats!!
after climbing two spots the book is now down back to no 34.
what are we to do!

im told the paris show was not well attended. he must drinking vodka and consuming corn chips.
i hope damon takes the laptop away from him, and assure him his getting stellar reviews, otherwise he probably wont come onstage at the next gig.

You were told wrong, it was sold out you bell end. I f***ing detest people who come on a website and tell lies for no reason.

Last edited:
Re: Article: "List of the Lost" reviews in The Guardian, The Daily Beast

What do you think of it? Have you read it yet?

I have. It really is very bad.

No, still in the process of doing so. But then, I am not drawing any conclusions. Yet.

Last edited:
Re: Article: "List of the Lost" reviews in The Guardian, The Daily Beast

Well, no, actually. You don't need to read an entire novel to know whether you like it or not. I think it's quite easy to tell from an excerpt. And that is what those Amazon extracts are there for after all.

This opening tells you everything you need to know about the style of the book. And that is enough for me. Had he compressed the ideas and themes into a 4 minute pop song I daresay it would have worked a lot better.

OK. On the basis of having read a brief excerpt at amazon, you feel you can confidently pronounce judgements on whether the author is a novelist or not, and see no problem with that. I'll take that judgment for what it's worth.

I don't really care.
Perhaps someone just enjoyed reading the f***ing book? Conspiracy theories on someone saying they enjoyed reading something? You really need help and I hope you don't get any.
I thought it was fantastic too, I adore his writing style and couldn't put it down. As much as you'd like to imagine either Morrissey holding a gun to my head as I type this or me rocking back and forth in my room dedicated to Morrissey with the book sat upon the shrine....sorry just a 'normal' person who read it and enjoyed it......alot. Would be nice to discuss it with someone but not here of course.
Have fun spreading the hatred x

an excellent read nice to read something with original style and prose. viva morrissey. can't wait for his next one .

stop being cry babies, lol.

I am still looking forward to reading this over the weekend despite the reviews, lets face it, most of the negative stuff on here comes from just a few people who pretend to be different people when they post, although, I wouldn't be surprised if they themselves were not completely aware of this!

People criticized Autobiography as it had no chapters, which is quite bizarre really, fair enough the court case went on too long but otherwise the content was wonderful. I see quite a few are now criticizing the new book for a lack of commas and full stops, was this ever going to be a 'conventional' novel in structure?

Have these people never attempted Ulysses?

I am still looking forward to reading this over the weekend despite the reviews, lets face it, most of the negative stuff on here comes from just a few people who pretend to be different people when they post, although, I wouldn't be surprised if they themselves were not completely aware of this!

People criticized Autobiography as it had no chapters, which is quite bizarre really, fair enough the court case went on too long but otherwise the content was wonderful. I see quite a few are now criticizing the new book for a lack of commas and full stops, was this ever going to be a 'conventional' novel in structure?

Have these people never attempted Ulysses?

Sir, I deeply respect your post. Now, as regards grammar, I hold that, in prose at any rate,
correctness should always be subordinate to artistic effect and musical
cadence; and any peculiarities of syntax that may occur in "List of the lost"
are deliberately intended, and are introduced to show the value of the
artistic theory in question.
LIST OF THE LOST - beautiful book.

By and large if you want proper discourse about the book I would both avoid talking sincerely about it on these comment pages or reading reviews, as they've shown themselves unable to properly analyse the book, instead falling back on click bait ''list'' articles the aim of which is re-tweets and facebook likes, not discussion.

This is by no means an insult to the users here, it's clearly just too much of a hotbed for argument rather than proper discussion. The discussion ALWAYS becomes about the discussion and whether people are allowed their point of view in said discussion which is utterly tedious at best.

Having almost finished the novel my take is that it does have merit, and plenty of content which doesn't smack of over written alliteration. The reviews which hinge around the fact there's some clumsy lines in there are clearly going for digestible articles that don''t need to be read as much as glanced at. Those lines exist, but also aren't exceptionally frequent.

The narrative itself if quaint and charming, sort of has all the small, close knit cast of characters you come to feel affection for that you'd find maybe in a Salinger novel, mixed with the boisterous camaraderie of something like The History Boys. This is frequently interspersed with some quite obvious and maybe thinly veiled analysis on many areas they find themselves in, from Morrissey himself, or ''The Author'' as it were.

I think this structure is on purpose, as the blurb itself suggests ''Beware the novelist... intimate and indiscreet ... pompous, prophetic airs... here is the fact of fiction''. The narrative is very cutesy and cuddly at times (often the titular characters are referred to often as 'our' boys), something which is underpinned often by the writers analysis, showing us ''behind the curtain'' at times, what lies behind their motives, in larger contexts which often talk about war, nature, social class etc. In a way it often reminded me of Twin Peaks, in that we have this quaint, pulpy backdrop behind which these larger, darker themes exist (the horrific magic realism that comes into play within the book especially a certain scene within the woods with a hobo reminded me of this quite alot). I do think the disparity and breakneck way in which the narrative twists from fiction, to analysis of that fiction is on purpose and is not without merit.

Having said that, I do think the book is quite messy in this regard. Whereas something like Twin Peaks offers a pulpy, frothy drama in which the horrors and darkness of suburbia lies beneath, gives you both sides (the narrative and the larger themes), I think List of the Lost often relies too heavily on the analysis part. Too often does Morrissey tangentially go on to enthuse about a subject (something I'm not adverse to as a fan) and seemingly forget about the plot, and in that respect I can see how from an objective viewpoint it can be frustrating for someone expecting a straight narrative. For me rather than a propulsive forward facing narrative, I think Morrissey has set out to write something that more often than not moves sideways, filling in backstory and motive as opposed to movement. Not always, mind.

Another slight criticism, which as previously mentioned I believe has been blown too out of proportion, is the alliteration and over written one liners that sometimes crop up. They within themselves are not badly written, but do suggest a lifetime of being a lyricist as opposed to a writer. These lines are jarring in that the writing surrounding them is very much a different style, just as descriptive, but much more noirish, so when one of these lines crops up it does seemingly break the flow. However as mentioned I do believe that these rhyming, half rhyming, almost lymeric lines are the result of being a lyricist for the better part of his life, so I think possibly he could be forgiven for accidently (or not) doing what he does best.

Overall I think the book does have problems, and alot of the criticisms aren't without merit. However I do think the way the press and similarly certain fans have gone about it is quite vitriolic (as usual) and quite unjust. I do think the novel is much more meta, and self analytical (and in parts knowingly silly) than realistic, and certainly much more than the press will give him credit for. Bear in mind the structure and ways of writing novels must be so alien to someone who has spent so long in another form, and as such I think we can afford Morrissey's debut novel some space to be a little lop sided in its structure. Maybe it would benefit from an editor, but for someone who clearly is guarded about his work, why should he? And in that instance I can hope (and hope others hope) that he continues and that his work tightens through familiarity to writing.

I will say I think it's probably much better written than most modern fiction out there and I think by and large reviews are quite redundant in today's day and age (despite having just written one). If you like Morrissey I think personally there's more than enough of him in there for you to enjoy. If you don't know Morrissey there's still alot of great writing in there for readers who like good fiction to enjoy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom