Looks like a disapointing album.....

R

Ross McDonnell

Saw Moz twice in Dublin in 2004 (Dublin Castle & The Point) and I have never witnessed such a long-established artist get a reaction from new (Quarry) material. Folks, like myself, were screaming out lyric for lyric all the new songs. They went down better than almost all the old material. It wasn’t just that we were glad to have new Morrissey songs. It was that we were celebrating the fact that the new stuff was as good as anything he’s released.

In my opinion the Quarry sessions produced ten truly great songs:

(from the album)
America
I have forgiven Jesus
First of the Gang
Crashing Bores
Let me kiss you
All the lazy Dykes
I like you

(from the ‘B-sides)
Friday Mourning
Never played symphonies
Munich air disaster

I think Quarry is up there with Vauxhall as his best ever album. Vauxhall might just shade it, as it’s a bit more unique.

I mention this as a bit of background to how disappointed I am in the three tracks I have heard so far from ROTT.

Yes, of course, the other nine tracks could be Morrissey classics. But it’s long odds-on, based on what I’ve heard, that this is going to be a let-down.

‘Far off places’ is just plain weak. The ‘middle-eastern’ riff is derivative and boring. ‘Dear God’ is a bit better. It starts off promisingly but is average by Morrissey standards. It doesn’t move me like a great Morrissey ballad (‘Trouble loves me’ or ‘Never played Symphonies’ for example).

The new single is just second-rate Morrissey. Yes, it’s catchy. But, be honest, if you heard this on the radio and it wasn’t Morrissey singing, would you be writing down the name of the band and rushing out to buy the CD? I didn’t think ‘Irish Blood English Heart’ was a great song (seemed unfinished to me) but at least it sounded ‘exciting’. ‘First of the gang’ was a great single – sing-along with a bit of balls and originality. But this new one…

I know a lot of folks get pissed off with negativity at this early stage. But, believe me, no one wants this record to be another Moz classic more than I. I am infatuated and obsessive about the man’s music. He is an absolute songwritting genius. If he never does anything of worth again, he will remain, by far, my greatest musical love of all time –even ahead of Beatles/McCartney who push him close in his sheer range and quality of songs.

And even ‘weak’ Morrissey albums are must buys for the couple of classics they produce (I love ‘Mute Witness’ and ‘End of the family line’ from Kill Uncle). I am sure ROTT will contain songs that will take over my head and soul for years to come. Knowing our hero, there will probably be another ‘Never played symphonies’ or ‘Nobody loves us’ buried away on the ‘B-Sides’.

Believe me, I will be scurrying up to Grafton Street on my lunch-break with my €24.99 in hand on day of release to buy ROTT. But, after hearing the three song samples, it will be more with trepidation than anticipation. On what I have heard this record will not take it’s place alongside ‘Hollow’, ‘Queen’, ‘Strangeways’, ‘Viva’, ‘Bona’, ‘Vauxhall’ and ‘Quarry’ as my most loved albums.

I respect other people’s views –those that are raving about the three tracks. I may be an oddball here.

Ross - I never talk to my neighbours, I’d rather not get involved…

Oh no, it doesn't...

> The new single is just second-rate Morrissey. Yes, it’s catchy. But, be
> honest, if you heard this on the radio and it wasn’t Morrissey singing,
> would you be writing down the name of the band and rushing out to buy the
> CD?

Yes, I would - Pixiesque guitar riff, obscure left-field lyric - "Pasolini is me!"; "I entered nothing and nothing entered me" - fantastic impassioned vocal, and all in all an incredibly addictive, enjoyable single you just want to listen to again and again - at least I do.

Out of interest, name a better single in the charts at the moment?

"America" truly great? It has to be the worst song from the Quarry sessions IMHO.

vulgar

> "America" truly great? It has to be the worst song from the
> Quarry sessions IMHO.

> vulgar

Agreed.